loaded magazines

This is a discussion on loaded magazines within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just wondering how many folks keep loaded magazines in their firearms while locked in a safe....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: loaded magazines

loaded magazines

just wondering how many folks keep loaded magazines in their firearms while locked in a safe.

2. Remove Ads

I do. I also keep loaded magazines in the weapons I'm carrying (including one in the pipe, like nearly all of us in here). I also make sure they are unloaded whenever they come out for a purpose other than shooting someone/thing. I expect whomever I hand one to to recheck it on the spot. If they don't I take it back.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

In them no ...Esp the open bolt ones ... in the safe/on top yep.... Put this way if I need to keep another gun out of the safe and load it well talking red dawn happening if you know what I mean c///
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    Yep.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Designated defense guns are always loaded, the rest are not.

Certain handguns in the safe are ready to go. The long arms are empty but loaded mags and stripper clips for the defensive guns are right there at hand.
    5lima30ret and AzQkr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not only loaded magazines but one in the chamber too. I learned a long time ago that despite the gun handling rules, treating a gun AS IF it is loaded is not the same as knowing it is loaded. If the gun is for home defense and in a safe, just getting it out and then having to chamber a round may be a problem. In the heat of danger, it is easy to not rack the slide far enough back to seat the round, especially if you just woke up after sleeping on your arm all night or are shaking in fear. I know, none of us ever imagine that we will be afraid just as none of use ever picture our gunfight ending with our death. :) The guns made these days do not go off unless someone presses the trigger. I personally prefer DA/SA or SAO guns with a manual safety since most times I will be reaching for my gun in a place that is not even with my line of sight and with most guns your trigger finger naturally falls on the trigger. If not, you have the wrong gun. :)

Most people cannot draw their weapon well under stress, much less properly rack a new round in. Just my experience in watching hundreds of shooters in competition and training.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Everything long or hand gun here is loaded chambered and every mag and stripper clip is full. Nothing is in a safe. Mostly because I dont own one.
    Oreste likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

NRA Gun Safety Rule #3

ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. A gun in a safe is not ready to use, hence should be unloaded.

Your carry, home defense gun, etc., is always ready to use, hence should be loaded.

Everyone has their own policy and habits, but I like the standard NRA party line. It works.
    spclopr8tr likes this.

I'm with Old_Dog on this one. everything is loaded, hot, and safety off. safety is off because at the moment i only own DA/SA autos. and i do not own a safe. i can grab and go and not fumble with anything.

actually, i do have the safety on on my 870 and it is hot as well. i do not care for "cruiser ready" and having to rack a round.
    fredg53 and leprechaun50 like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

My HD handguns are ready to go, magazine/cylinders loaded, one in the pipe, loaded spares in pouches and shelves. I load them after cleaning and don't like to do the unload/load cycle.

My HD long guns are similarly ready to go, just no round in the chamber.

Others are unloaded.
    leprechaun50 likes this.

My carry guns stay loaded in a kydex holster in the safe or not. Range guns are unloaded. My basic rule is if it's loaded it's it's in a holster that covers the trigger.

the reason I ask is, I consider every weapon I own a personal defense tool and they reside locked and loaded in an unlocked safe at the furthest point from the entrance of my home in my sleeping quarters.
    when a situation arises, I can retreat to my safe and retrieve the first weapon my hand happens to land on and deal with that situation.
    if the BG makes their way to my bed room,and after verbal commands to cease their intrusion, I've given him every opportunity to stop his intrusion and exit my residence and if the threat persists, I know i'm righteous when I pull the trigger.
    I lock the safe just like I lock my doors when not in my house, and as far as an unauthorized person getting access to my guns, the safe gets locked upon the arrival of authorized company.

All of my guns are in condition one including the ones in the safe.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

For those weapons I routinely use for CC, they are kept in my large safe when not in use.I keep the mags loaded but separate from the pistols. For those I do not routinely carry, they are kept unloaded with mags unloaded.

For my HD weapon, it stays in a pistol safe next to my bed in C1.

Long arms (with exception of HD shotgun) are kept unloaded with mags unloaded with the exception of one AR-15 with a loaded 40 round mag but not inserted into the rifle.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links