Can you use deadly force in your home against a public servant?

This is a discussion on Can you use deadly force in your home against a public servant? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recent events in Utah where our government is acting illegally has a lot of people asking serious questions. It seems our 2nd Amendment rights are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Can you use deadly force in your home against a public servant?

Can you use deadly force in your home against a public servant?

Recent events in Utah where our government is acting illegally has a lot of people asking serious
    questions. It seems our 2nd Amendment rights are being trampled on. There is one state that
    hs chosen to stand up for its citizens.

This short article shows you this states laws.

Can you use deadly force in your home against a public servants like the Police or FBI?
    gatorbait51 and nerdyvirgin like this.

2. Remove Ads

I could see that ending badly.
    Grant48 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    I could see that ending badly.
    This is a dicey subject but you have to ask the question when you see how close disasters are
    coming to our door steps. This article leaves more questions than answers but it is better to think
    it out in advance versus watching it play out in reality. Do other states need these laws?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Whether or not you "can" is largely irrelevant, as a practical matter.

When "public servants" show up at your home, they tend to bring a bunch of their buddies. I can't imagine very many scenarios in which you would not be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Whether or not you "can" is largely irrelevant, as a practical matter.

When "public servants" show up at your home, they tend to bring a bunch of their buddies. I can't imagine very many scenarios in which you would not be dealt with swiftly and harshly.
    I do not disagree with your opinion but lets go back just a few weeks to utah where there were countless people on both sides.
    How does the law play a role when these situations go gravely wrong. What would have happened if just one person on either
    side had fired a single shot? Where do our laws protect us if the public servants are in the wrong? I also do not see an upside
    but recent events lead me to ask these hard questions.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.

+1 sounds like a shootout in the making
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

What happened in Utah? Or are you referring to the Bundy Ranch standoff in Nevada?
    Aceoky, Badey and yankeeman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    +1 sounds like a shootout in the making
    Hopefully not...but it could be. The law in Indiana spells out both sides of the situation.
    This would be one of those laws you would never want to test. There are countless videos
    on the internet that show cops acting badly and even a few where the cop openly threatened
    to shoot an innocent person that was legally carrying a firearm. While I do believe the largest
    percentage of police are great people...this article covers what would happen if they did illegally
    enter your home and placed you personally in danger of losing your life. I personally pray
    I never experience this situation but things around us are changing quickly and not to the better.

Nothing here says we should use deadly force the real question is what should we do if the worst
    happens?
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darenger View Post
    What happened in Utah? Or are you referring to the Bundy Ranch standoff in Nevada?
    Yes.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't see that turning out well for the homeowner. While it's nice to have laws like that "on the books," whether they are applied by the justice system is another story entirely. No such laws in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am interested to know the answers to this too, there are plenty of instances where public servants enter people homes with out permission or warrant.. What were to happen if someone treated that person like an intruder. (Esp. if it was dark/ night ), even if you did not know it was an LEO and shot them what would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't see that turning out well for the homeowner. While it's nice to have laws like that "on the books," whether they are applied by the justice system is another story entirely.
    Agreed. Even if justified, posthumous vindication would be meaningless for the individual.
    Powpig2002 likes this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Botched raid costs Minneapolis $600,000 | Star Tribune

MN family were victims of wrong house swat raid, exchanged gunfire, the homeowner hit 3 cops in their armor. Family got 600,000 and the PD gave medals for bravery to the officers involved? 8 officers got medals for bravery and showing restraint after firing 22 rounds. Face palm.

they blamed it on a bad informant, where their targets were black and this family was Hmong with Hmong ornaments in the yard. The police didn't do any surveilance or what?

Minneapolis police: A mistake, an apology and then medals | Star Tribune
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I am interested to know the answers to this too, there are plenty of instances where public servants enter people homes with out permission or warrant.. What were to happen if someone treated that person like an intruder. (Esp. if it was dark/ night ), even if you did not know it was an LEO and shot them what would happen?
    More than likely, you'll die or spend the rest of your life in a cage.

Less likely, you actually survive the encounter and you'll go bankrupt paying lawyers to keep you out of the aforementioned cage.

All my opinion of course.
    Darenger and 3rdegree like this.

VIP Member
    You use deadly force against a LEO and you may as well call the funeral home and make arrangements for yourself. If you were in the right the city/state/feds will end up writing a large check to your next of kin. If that trade-off is worth it, then you can use deadly force. If you wish to see the next day it isn't a good idea.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links