Remembering the LA Riots 4.29

This is a discussion on Remembering the LA Riots 4.29 within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy folks. I just joined this forum earlier this week and made a post in the new members section. I guess it would have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Remembering the LA Riots 4.29

Howdy folks. I just joined this forum earlier this week and made a post in the new members section.

I guess it would have been more appropriate to have made this post on the 29th, but oh well. With the forum being all about defensive carry and on, how do you guys feel about the Korean merchants that stood ground to protect their businesses during LA riots of 92'? It is known as 사이구, a phonetic translation of 4-2-9, i.e April 29th. I happened to live Los Angeles during that time, maybe a freshman in High School and it was quite scary. Fire everywhere, gunshots everywhere, fire fighters being shot everywhere, no police anywhere, sigh...

History does tend to repeat itself, just saying.

Anyways, check out this crazy gun fight right in the middle of daylight. The man in the vest is pretty "gangster" (1:29, 1:51, 2:40), but I'm not sure about his tactical skills. How do you rate him? Would you have taken more cover? He seems pretty exposed.

ANGLICO, Aceoky, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    The point seems to have been to "be visible" to stop the thefts. They were wildly successful at that (being visible). It is miraculous none of them got shot. Certainly not due to skill at taking cover. I mean, C'mon, standing behind a car shooting over the top and your protection? Car windows that looked to be broken out. Whomever the Koreans pray to was working overtime to protect them because they sure didn't do a good job themselves. But hey, I didn't see anyone go down. Looked to have been a lot of warning shots fired.

Text book example of what not to do and how to do it wrongly. Nonetheless, it worked from what I remember. Taking the fight to the enemy is rarely a wrong decision, unless you want to get picky about Pickets charge or the light brigade or... never mind. Very bad examples

Makes me think of the picture of the Titanic sinking with the caption, "Maybe your life's purpose is to serve as a warning to others"
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    The point seems to have been to "be visible" to stop the thefts. They were wildly successful at that (being visible). It is miraculous none of them got shot. Certainly not due to skill at taking cover. I mean, C'mon, standing behind a car shooting over the top and your protection? Car windows that looked to be broken out. Whomever the Koreans pray to was working overtime to protect them because they sure didn't do a good job themselves. But hey, I didn't see anyone go down. Looked to have been a lot of warning shots fired.

Text book example of what not to do and how to do it wrongly. Nonetheless, it worked from what I remember. Taking the fight to the enemy is rarely a wrong decision, unless you want to get picky about Pickets charge or the light brigade or... never mind. Very bad examples

Makes me think of the picture of the Titanic sinking with the caption, "Maybe your life's purpose is to serve as a warning to others"
    Now that I watch again, it looks like they had some sort of bullet proof vests on. Maybe that's why they were being so bold. Nevertheless, agreed, not a very good way to take cover.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The clicky is all black and I can't seem to make the video here work, but if it's the video that I think it is, yeah, I would have much rather taken a defensive stance inside of the building that I belonged to. 3 or 4 of your own wildly popping rounds off on the streets just seems dumb to me. On the other hand, 3 or 4 of your own, inside of your building, behind cover and concealment and guarding the entrances just seems to be a much better plan.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Guantes was there... I miss him...

I don't think the Koreans had any bullet proof vests on...
    gatorbait51 and glockman10mm like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I can't really say to the business owners shooting tactics. Tho considering what was going on he seemed very cool considering he was taking some incoming fire. With absolutely no LEO presence I can see why these Koreans would take the attitude they did.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and BurgerBoy like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Guantes was there... I miss him...

I don't think the Koreans had any bullet proof vests on...
    Yes, I remember Guantes. Whatever happened to him? If I remember correctly his avatar was of the rooftop during that incident.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

These weren't trained operatives. Although there may have been some understandings or agreements beforehand, they were disorganized, neighborhood militia in the truest sense.

Now ask yourself this: If/when the EBTs, lights, water, free phones/internet, etc finally shut down, and rioters take to the street (or if like me you live a long ways out, they finally run out of looting in town and start heading your way), will your neighbors band together as cohesively and fight as effectively as this ragtag bunch of inner-city merchants?

My bet for most of us is "no."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Yes, I remember Guantes. Whatever happened to him? If I remember correctly his avatar was of the rooftop during that incident.
    His last activity was:
    Last Activity February 28th, 2014 06:08 PM

So he seems to be still checking in but, has taken a hiatus from posting.
    msgt/ret, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ancient Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times." Those times were interesting. I remember MSM at the time reporting that the Koreans were all former military who had been through elite commando style training which enabled them to pull this off. Of course the average American without this training would be ill advised to confront looters or any other criminals for that matter. How many of you noticed this "Commando Training" in action?
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Chorizo was there also, as part of the USMC contingent that came up from Pendleton. Perhaps he'll chime in...

As for the video, remember- professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark...
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
    Stand brave and upright, that the Lord may love thee.
    Speak the truth always, even if it means your death.
    Protect the helpless and do no wrong.

Anyone remember the 1965 riots in LA Watts reoccurring events, they riot we pay them off they stop for awhile then they do it again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Anyone remember the 1965 riots in LA Watts reoccurring events, they riot we pay them off they stop for awhile then they do it again.
    I had not been born yet!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    I had not been born yet!
    If history had not been rewritten to make it PC it would be an interesting study. Then look into Detroit burning after they saw the cash LA got they had their own riots and got a nice pay day. One we are still paying for. The truth and facts of these riots have been glossed over to the point they share no real truth of the times.
    "On July 24, forty National Guardsmen were pinned down by snipers at Henry Ford Hospital.[17] The hospital stayed open throughout and treated many riot injuries"

1967 Detroit riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They don't teach it in public schools .
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonhill View Post
    Howdy folks. I just joined this forum earlier this week and made a post in the new members section.

I guess it would have been more appropriate to have made this post on the 29th, but oh well. With the forum being all about defensive carry and on, how do you guys feel about the Korean merchants that stood ground to protect their businesses during LA riots of 92'? It is known as 사이구, a phonetic translation of 4-2-9, i.e April 29th. I happened to live Los Angeles during that time, maybe a freshman in High School and it was quite scary. Fire everywhere, gunshots everywhere, fire fighters being shot everywhere, no police anywhere, sigh...

History does tend to repeat itself, just saying.

Anyways, check out this crazy gun fight right in the middle of daylight. The man in the vest is pretty "gangster" (1:29, 1:51, 2:40), but I'm not sure about his tactical skills. How do you rate him? Would you have taken more cover? He seems pretty exposed.

I participated in those riots...I was the air commander for the Marine Corp Special Purpose MAGTF that deployed. We had a division (4 aircraft) of Hueys in support of the Marines on the ground and the police.

Exciting times......
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links