Memphis TN: How the Safe Room works:

This is a discussion on Memphis TN: How the Safe Room works: within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is how it could work... this is how it should work. Home invasion begins to occur. Residents take refuge in safe room, call 911. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Memphis TN: How the Safe Room works:

This is how it could work... this is how it should work.

1. Home invasion begins to occur.
    2. Residents take refuge in safe room, call 911. Armed with guns pointed at only ingress to room from the house, if desired.
    3. Police arrive, subjects flee or are apprehended.
    4. Residents evacuated, any remaining suspects will be dealt with by LEO.

This is no different than a fire drill. Practice this. Only one room within the home needs to be fortified. Exterior doors and windows need to be reinforced to slow entry, alarmed if desired to provide more early warning. The "stuff" is insured, the people are safe.

It's pretty close to this developing story from Memphis: Six people rescued from home invasion, standoff The Commercial Appeal
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

You forgot the claymore mines embedded in the walls with the trigger in the safe room.. so when the Badguys begin to try and break in through the door they get turned into Swiss Cheese.. kaboom
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The downside of the "safe room" concept is unless you're in a multi-level home (or some other design that allows unseen movement) where the family had time and cover to move around and get to the safe room, it doesn't work. In my home, if someone busts in the front door, they have effectively cut the house in half. Unless you're in the location of the safe room, the fight will occur right where the BGs are.
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They will be engaged at point of entry.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The downside of the "safe room" concept is unless you're in a multi-level home (or some other design that allows unseen movement) where the family had time and cover to move around and get to the safe room, it doesn't work. In my home, if someone busts in the front door, they have effectively cut the house in half. Unless you're in the location of the safe room, the fight will occur right where the BGs are.
    Not if the perimeter is secure.

Door with deadbolt <=3 seconds.
    Door with jamb armor >10 seconds (more likely half a minute or better)... enough time to traverse the house from one end to another.
    Dog that will bark at someone attempting entry gives you more time. (possibly with occasional false alarms)

Being armed while awake, in say the living room of the house, allows you to buy time to get to the safe room as well. Fire on the intruder, while getting to your long gun which is in the "safe room."

If bedrooms on opposite ends of the house, the expense to make a safe room is negligible anyway, make two.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    They will be engaged at point of entry.
    That's fine. It's not the only solution, nor is the safe room.

The safe room concept is one I think viable for many. More so for those lacking the ability/desire/mindset to take on all comers, at any time of the day or night. In most cases, time and distance are your friend. A passively secure perimeter, and a more secure inner sanctum, buy time. And the obstacles they create make for a sort of distance (through separation from the threat).

Even military defensive positions utilize some sort of perimeter security... from caltrops, to claymores. The first buys time for defense, the second does as well, with the additional benefit of reducing the number of interlopers... But neither would stop ALL determined comers in numbers.

The example cited protected 6 residents from harm by 4 interlopers in a city that has more than it's share of violent crime. None of the residents had to fire a shot, all were saved. Not a bad outcome... Had they been willing/able to engage at point of entry, there is the possibility that one or more of the residents may have been harmed.

Of course, if the intruders had been determined... it's possible that all of the residents could have been dead, given enough time.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    My safe room is the one I happen to be in at any particular time.
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Links