How can I secure my guns without a gun safe or cabinet?

This is a discussion on How can I secure my guns without a gun safe or cabinet? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a young man who's recently relocated from his parents house for the second time. While I was living with my parents I was able ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How can I secure my guns without a gun safe or cabinet?

I'm a young man who's recently relocated from his parents house for the second time. While I was living with my parents I was able to store the firearms I was not carrying or keeping at the ready for home defense in their gun safe.

Since having relocated from my parents home money has been very tight, I'm living almost pay check to pay check and I just can not fit a gun safe or gun cabinet into my budget. I believe that as a gun owner it is my duty to responsibly store my firearms in a manner so that they do not fall into the hands of the wrong people.

The area I have moved to has a large amount of middle and high school students about, and that is a cause for concern. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a way that I could secure my weapons in a manner so in the event my house were to be broken into while I was not home, the intruders would be unable to forcibly remove my firearms from my home. Even though such an event is unlikely due to the fact that I do not indicate to the public in any way that I own firearms and I live in a decent area, I'd still like to have a better alternative than simply hiding my firearms.

The guns that would need to be secured are; Ruger Mini-14, Mossberg 500 16.5" Barrel, Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle, Glock 32, Citadel 1911, and S&W 64.

I do not have a large budget for this, at maximum 150$ in a month. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    stylus and ArmyCop like this.

Stack-On 8-Gun Cabinet Accessories

I have seen these for sale at 100 or so or less at times ...

Not a amazing safe .. But will stop some kids with min to no tools ..

Bolt that down .. Or put a lot of heavy stuff in the bottom so that is hard to move .. Would work ..

I guess if you really wanted to be safe you could pull the firinin pins or the bolts etc and store them sep
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    If you do not have the locks that came with your guns stop by the SO or PD and pick up some of the tax payer funded cable locks and use them to fasten your guns to the bed springs or other difficult to move objects.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I really appreciate these suggestions. WrongRecroom, I was wondering, with that gun cabinet you linked me is there any ways to reinforce something like that so it's harder to break into, short of buying a length of heavy duty chain and wrapping it around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    I'm a young man who's recently relocated from his parents house for the second time. While I was living with my parents I was able to store the firearms I was not carrying or keeping at the ready for home defense in their gun safe. Since having relocated from my parents home money has been very tight, I'm living almost pay check to pay check and I just can not fit a gun safe or gun cabinet into my budget. I believe that as a gun owner it is my duty to responsibly store my firearms in a manner so that they do not fall into the hands of the wrong people. The area I have moved to has a large amount of middle and high school students about, and that is a cause for concern. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a way that I could secure my weapons in a manner so in the event my house were to be broken into while I was not home, the intruders would be unable to forcibly remove my firearms from my home. Even though such an event is unlikely due to the fact that I do not indicate to the public in any way that I own firearms and I live in a decent area, I'd still like to have a better alternative than simply hiding my firearms.

The guns that would need to be secured are; Ruger Mini-14, Mossberg 500 16.5" Barrel, Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle, Glock 32, Citadel 1911, and S&W 64.

I do not have a large budget for this, at maximum 150$ in a month. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Trigger lock.

Check the local Craigslist. Sometimes you can find one from someone who is moving and they just don't want to pay to move the safe the distance they are moving.

Sometimes, you'll stumble upon old ones like this and they still have their locks.

Antique Safe

Even without the locks, if you are able to weld, you could attach some of the hasps for the hockey puck style locks and it would be better than the Stack-On storage locker.

Trailer and Van Door Locks

I have always moved my gun safe when I bought a new house and I have the scratches on it from the moving companies to prove it. You tell them that they will need a moving truck with a powered lift gate, but they won't believe you and will try to manhandle it. Since then, I just move it myself. It's a slow process, but I don't end up with any new scratches on it.

The Stack-On unit is NOT a gun safe -- it is a storage locker. A slightly heavier duty version of a school locker / metal cabinet. IF you bolted it to the wall and the slab and IF you put it somewhere that it would be difficult to access, it might deter some kids.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; May 6th, 2014 at 05:58 AM.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...

I'm assuming you're in a rental house, and that limits some of your options for inside the wall hiding places. You could store guns you're not using in your parents safe until you get a better alternative. Assuming that you own your furniture as opposed to renting a place that is furnished, you could modify your box springs or couch in such a manner as to have easier access to the inside of those and hide them in there.

Another option is wall mounted locking gun racks, such as these:

Santa Cruz Gunlocks SC-916-5 Fixed Wall/Trunk Universal Mount - Santa Cruz Gunlocks

Shot Gun Rack - Vehicle Weapon Storage - Vehicle Accessories

This company has some lesser expensive options, but I can't speak to how secure they are. There's a difference between a "safe" and a "locker".

Racks, Cases & Gun Safes | Hunting Racks | Fishing Rod Racks*|*Meijer.com
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Unload them and secure the ammo.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I haven't had the ability or real desire to drop the $2k+ on a real safe, plus not being a home owner yet myself, not interested in moving one around often. Also, not sure my gun collection so far deems it worth buying a nice safe to put them in.

However, keeping my guns secure from theft and wandering hands is top priority.

I got myself a job box from the local Lowes - $300, all steel, and locks with 2 pad locks that are covered by a piece of the steel when in place.

The job box is quite big - plenty of room. Pretty heavy on its own, but put some guns and several hundred rounds of ammo in there and 2 guys can't move it together - I tried when we just moved, not happening! And I feel it's pretty secure - sure someone could get in with the right tools, but same goes for most safes.

The bad is - it's not lined with anything, doesn't have shelves, isn't sealed or any kind of fire resistant, and is a big colored steel box. I just keep it indoors, keep the guns in the boxes or carry cases and put it somewhere out of sight. Not a perfect solution, but works well for me for now.
    BugDude, BadgerJ and scgunlover1 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    My suggestion: Store them back at your parents house. I am keeping many things for my daughter that she wants kept in a safe. Take only the guns you feel needed.

Nothing less than an 800 lbs metal gun safe, bolted to the wall and floor, and then heavily loaded with items is going to keep a determined burglar from getting your items.

Also, do not show your guns to friends. If nobody knows you have them, the chances of someone taking them is far less. Most intruders are those that have been in the house before and know what they want to get and where to go for it. Other intruders are told what you have by your friends.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Unless they are hundreds of miles away why not store all but your EDC at your 'rent's house? Other than that, skillful hiding, cables and bike locks and a locked closet should work. Depends on your current apartment - do you have an attic? Do you expect kids to break into your home? Dog, alarms, door locks?

I bet you can find a used fish tank on Craigslist for the $150 you speak of. Spend a few bucks on a piranha or two. Wrap guns in plastic and put in the tank. Nobody will mess with em.

Seriously though, until I could afford a GOOD safe (oldman45 has the right idea) I would just use a trigger lock for safety, and just hide the guns in case of burglary. There are spots in the house that are usually pretty safe from intruders. I don't talk about where on a public forum, but AVOID under the mattress, in the freezer, and in any night stand / desk drawers. Avoid sofa cushions too...they are almost always tossed.

Keep only what you need at your place and store the rest with your parents until you can afford a GOOD gun safe. In the meantime, best case is gun locks and hidey holes. Even a lockable footlocker is better than nothing.
    LimaCharlie and oldman45 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Taking the guns back to my parents house is not an option. They live in West Texas, I live 1991 miles away in central Virginia.

For those of you who have suggested trigger locks, I appreciate the input but I don't believe you read the original post. For everyone else, I appreciate the input, I think I might take the job box route. It sounds quite secure.

Some years back I was looking for a way to secure several weapons in rental and I came up with the same cable that I used on my Harley and bought a top rated padlock then secured to shelf in front closet with blankets and hats on top of them.
    ArmyCop and Old Sarge like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links