For SHTF/Home Defense Body Armor, do i really need side plate armor?

This is a discussion on For SHTF/Home Defense Body Armor, do i really need side plate armor? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got my tax check back and am looking into getting body armor for home defense and SHTF scenarios. I'm trying to decide the best ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: For SHTF/Home Defense Body Armor, do i really need side plate armor?

Just got my tax check back and am looking into getting body armor for home defense and SHTF scenarios. I'm trying to decide the best configuration for my purposes, which is essentially SHTF or home defense scenarios. I will also wear it doing rifle and handgun drills to get used to the feel and weight of the vest. I am getting rifle protection level III AR500 plates. I know its going to be heavy and I also want to mount some mag pouches to it, probably 2 pistol mag pouches and 2 AR mag pouches. Maybe a holster mounted to the vest as well. So my question is do I need to get side plate armor for these purposes or will front and back be enough. My shooting stance is head on facing the target so my sides wont really be exposed to a threat, but you never know if there will be multiple assailants and what angles they may come at you. I am just looking for some input before I dump some cash into this. Please, any input will help.

Well, normally I'd say wearing ballistic armor for a home invasion is a bit over-the-top, unless you're expecting a full on onslaught by a small paramilitary force or police SWAT unit...

But, if the criminals are starting to use body armor... you can, too.

If it gets that bad 'round these parts, I think I'll just quit and move to the top of a mountain somewhere.

I posted about the BGs here: FL: BG's impersonating police... and wearing body armor
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My shooting stance is head on facing the target so my sides wont really be exposed to a threat, but you never know if there will be multiple assailants and what angles they may come at you. I am just looking for some input before I dump some cash into this. Please, any input will help.
    Why limit it to home use? That rig would be perfect for making the rounds at the Mall.

Thats all fine and dandy until some wise-acre w/ a silenced .22 rimfire
    pops you in the noggin and steals all your stuff.... Just Sayin'
    Secret Spuk and Grantspastor like this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    Thats all fine and dandy until some wise-acre w/ a silenced .22 rimfire
    pops you in the noggin and steals all your stuff.... Just Sayin'
    I agree but I am giving them a smaller target to hit.

VIP Member
    Do you need side plate armor? No, but you don't need the rest either. You're planning for worst case scenario stuff, and as such I don't see why you'd leave a hole that could be addressed.

FWIW, if you have a good stance during a violent encounter you're not moving fast enough or using cover well enough... so planning for your stance to eliminate areas of your body as a target for the other guy probably isn't the best decision to make.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

AR500 plates are excellent. Your plate carrier choice is vitally important. I don't know what your budget is for this but remember its your life your talking about so buy the best you can. In a home defense scenario, unless you have ample warning donning your vest will cost your time. Side plates are an option of course. I have them but don't use them most of the time. I have armor because of my job but I don't wear it at home. Once you have to wear this for hours or even days you will understand.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Lots of good points made so far.

I think I may buy a vest with the option to do side armor and add it in later.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    I think I may buy a vest with the option to do side armor and add it in later.
    I still think it's over-the-top...

But, then my gun is always on me, even at home. which many people feel is "like WHAT????"

The day I buy body armor to wear at home, though, that'll be the day you can say I've gone off the deep end.

If Armageddon comes tomorrow, I'll be short the body armor... but I know where I'll be goin', so no worries.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I still think it's over-the-top...

But, then my gun is always on me, even at home. which many people feel is "like WHAT????"

The day I buy body armor to wear at home, though, that'll be the day you can say I've gone off the deep end.

If Armageddon comes tomorrow, I'll be short the body armor... but I know where I'll be goin', so no worries.
    I too carry even at home. I just like the idea of having it if anything does happen. I have a bug out plan and can get up and go at a moments notice, but having the armor will make me feel more secure if the SHTF.

Ex Member
    Why a rear plate? If your home is that big maybe, but with most average homes you will be going AT the intruder not AWAY.

If we are talking about armor within the context of defending against general lawlessness in heck-hit-the-fan event, I am not really inclined to believe that the lone citizen [ without backup or medical facilities] is going to fair very well in sustained gun battles no matter if they have plate armor or not. To that end I would say that the money that would be spent on plate armor could probably be utilized better on other gear or supplies likely to be needed in a disaster. I believe that self defense can be a realistic concern an any event which causes unrest or panic and a person should have a reliable method of defense but the "rambo-up" mindset is not really something I consider practical.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I have soft armor due to being a reserve deputy. I was issued the first set in 1995 and they rotate newer versions every couple of years.
    Right now I have two sets: concealable class II w/trauma plate and a full coverage class III tactical vest w/rifle plates front and back.

I know that soft body armor generally has a given useful life, but for what you are looking for, a lightly used Class III tactical vest may be the answer. The one I have has been used maybe a dozen times and that for only an hour or two each.
    rockinglock32 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Reminds me of gecko45

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links