Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance

This is a discussion on Liability Insurance within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know of a company that offers general liability insurance that would also cover self defense? My homeowners and umbrella policy do not cover "intentional ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance

Anyone know of a company that offers general liability insurance that would also cover self defense? My homeowners and umbrella policy do not cover "intentional acts". So if I shot someone during a home invasion, I would have no coverage against a civil suit filed by victim or the family.

The NRA liability policy only covers situations involving a handgun. Hit someone with a ball bat and there is no coverage.

Not really thought of that. May be able to get a rider on the NRA policy to cover that and other situations.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Your going to have a really hard time finding any insurance policy that covers you against an intentional, ILLEGAL act. That is just the nature of insurance and a large part of why the Progressive plan for mandatory (gun) liability insurance is a non starter. Unfortunately, I don't have any solid advice for you, except to read the policy statement VERY carefully. What you are calling an intentional act may actually be referring to an illegal act. It seems to me that if your actions were lawful and justified, including justifiable homicide that your liability policy should cover you.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "So if I shot someone during a home invasion, I would have no coverage against a civil suit filed by victim or the family. "

Doubt you'd need it. In FL you'd be protected by state law. In my case, it's only be the victim's family to worry about.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Doubt you'd need it. In FL you'd be protected by state law. In my case, it's only be the victim's family to worry about.
    I thought the same thing until I saw the OP is in Illinois.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcoslow View Post
    Anyone know of a company that offers general liability insurance that would also cover self defense? My homeowners and umbrella policy do not cover "intentional acts". So if I shot someone during a home invasion, I would have no coverage against a civil suit filed by victim or the family.

The NRA liability policy only covers situations involving a handgun. Hit someone with a ball bat and there is no coverage.
    Many folks are unaware if someone is injured on your property by an "INTENTIONAL act" many insurance policies will not cover it.
    "INTENTIONAL act" are not meant to mean illegal acts as NOWAY2 refers..
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2
    (post 3)... What you are calling an intentional act may actually be referring to an illegal act.....
    it means you intentionally used a weapon to protect you, your family, your belongs from a bg thereby injuring them..
    ie.. a bg breaks in and threatens you with a weapon, you INTENTIONALLY draw your CCW and shoot them... the BG/BG relative sues and wins a settlement, your insurance says you intentionally did the act so they wash their hands of it..

I have USAA property and home and they cover it if in an SD situation.. you must be/have been/ be a dependent of one of the first 2 to get USAA service.

Don't know what to tell you rcoslow
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

"In many jurisdictions, you can be legally right, morally right, and civilly liable."

"Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it."

That said, A good judge would dismiss as frivolous a suit against one who was not prosecuted for defending his own home... The recent case in Minnesota (Byron Smith) as example ( he was found guilty of 2 counts of murder). He can obviously be sued in civil court.

In Iowa, strange as it is.. the civil immunity is found in a different section of the code than reasonable force, weapons, and so on.

Know the laws in your state.

ACLDN mentioned above, is probably the best non-insurance solution.
    Other 3rd party "solutions," not so much.
    Homeowner's should be checked, as mentioned, for intentional acts.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Your going to have a really hard time finding any insurance policy that covers you against an intentional, ILLEGAL act. That is just the nature of insurance and a large part of why the Progressive plan for mandatory (gun) liability insurance is a non starter.
    Progressive offers CCW insurance?
    noway2 likes this.

I'm not talking about an illegal act. People can sue for all sorts of stupid reasons. Bottom line is it will cost a lot of money in legal fees to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rcoslow View Post
    I'm not talking about an illegal act. People can sue for all sorts of stupid reasons. Bottom line is it will cost a lot of money in legal fees to defend myself.
    Yes. So it's best to avoid shooting or bludgeoning people if you can avoid it.

Probably isn't any insurance for baseball bats.

My home owners insurance only covers "unintentional", (negligent), discharges. I don't know of any homeowners insurance that covers "deadly use of force". I do have a service contract with CCW Safe that covers me for any deadly use of force, firearm, knife, club, etc. Yes, it has to used in a defensive situation only,
    (no alcohol induced, belligerent, vigilantism or idiot induced behavior). It covers all my legal expenses, (criminal and civil), in a deadly use of force situation. This is truly the least considered consequence of a use of force event. It does give me a lot of peace of mind.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    My home owners insurance only covers "unintentional", (negligent), discharges. I don't know of any homeowners insurance that covers "deadly use of force". I do have a service contract with CCW Safe that covers me for any deadly use of force, firearm, knife, club, etc. Yes, it has to used in a defensive situation only,
    (no alcohol induced, belligerent, vigilantism or idiot induced behavior). It covers all my legal expenses, (criminal and civil), in a deadly use of force situation. This is truly the least considered consequence of a use of force event. It does give me a lot of peace of mind.
    According to their terms of service, CCW SAFE only pays for legal fees.

It will NOT bail you out.
    It will NOT pay any judgements against you if you lose your civil litigation.
    It is NOT insurance. It is a service provider.

All of the above is quoted from their own terms of service. And it ain't even fine print.

I'm happy for you that it gives you peace of mind. But the legal fees are only half of the potential liability. And who are the legal counsel in your area?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    According to their terms of service, CCW SAFE only pays for legal fees.

It will NOT bail you out.
    It will NOT pay any judgements against you if you lose your civil litigation.
    It is NOT insurance. It is a service provider.

All of the above is quoted from their own terms of service. And it ain't even fine print.

I'm happy for you that it gives you peace of mind. But the legal fees are only half of the potential liability. And who are the legal counsel in your area?
    I don't expect CCW Safe to pay for every possible legal expense that would come with a use of force incident. I know it is a service contract, not insurance. It is something to back you up rather that going at it alone. The legal counsel retained by CCW Safe varies or rotates. I guess it all depends who is on call at the time services are needed. And thank you for being happy for me! If only more people were!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "So if I shot someone during a home invasion, I would have no coverage against a civil suit filed by victim or the family. "

Washington state has the exact same type of protection for the victim of a crime by the perps family. It's akin to flipping them (the perps family) the Bird and laughing as you do so.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links