If you use a rail mounted light, how will the badguy know you have a gun?

This is a discussion on If you use a rail mounted light, how will the badguy know you have a gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I only have a light on one gun, that is kept by my backyard door. I much prefer handheld flashlights. I do not want the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: If you use a rail mounted light, how will the badguy know you have a gun?

Distinguished Member

I only have a light on one gun, that is kept by my backyard door. I much prefer handheld flashlights. I do not want the bad guys to know where I am. Here is something that most do not think about when they buy rail lights. You can try this at home with an unloaded gun. Let's say you find the bad guy in your house or backyard and light him up with that 600 lumen light on your gun. How will he know you have a gun? He will be blinded by your light and for all he knows, you are just pointing a flashlight at him. I have tested this in front of a mirror and sure enough, I am blinded by the light and cannot see the gun in my hand.

This is one of the reasons I prefer a handheld flashlight. When I was a young man, I was taught to shoot one handed and I still practice that now so it is no problem for me at home distances. Check it out for yourselves with an empty gun and see what I mean. What do you think?
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Do you want him/her to know you're armed? If so just state "I have a gun". Otherwise I'm not seeing his or her ignorance as a bad thing.
    RT, stylus, baren and 5 others like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I only have a light on one gun, that is kept by my backyard door. I much prefer handheld flashlights. I do not want the bad guys to know where I am. Here is something that most do not think about when they buy rail lights. You can try this at home with an unloaded gun. Let's say you find the bad guy in your house or backyard and light him up with that 600 lumen light on your gun. How will he know you have a gun? He will be blinded by your light and for all he knows, you are just pointing a flashlight at him. I have tested this in front of a mirror and sure enough, I am blinded by the light and cannot see the gun in my hand.

This is one of the reasons I prefer a handheld flashlight. When I was a young man, I was taught to shoot one handed and I still practice that now so it is no problem for me at home distances. Check it out for yourselves with an empty gun and see what I mean. What do you think?
    "I have a gun".

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Do you want him/her to know you're armed? If so just state "I have a gun". Otherwise I'm not seeing his or her ignorance as a bad thing.
    HA! Same answer!

But ok let's say you can't talk for whatever reason, maybe you're recovering from having your vocal cords tightened so your new voice matches your new look after the sex change operation. Then what? Rack the shot-gun back? What if it's not a shot gun?
    Phaedrus and NewportReds like this.

RT
    "I have a gun," would work. If he's foolish enough to keep coming after being warned just because he can't see it, I think he'd finally believe you once it started barking at him.
    USM1976 likes this.

He'll know when you shoot him, duh.

Kidding, actually I think a light in the off hand makes more sense with a handgun. Mostly because I would want to be able to point it anywhere without worrying about what my muzzle is sweeping.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    HA! Same answer!

But ok let's say you can't talk for whatever reason, maybe you're recovering from having your vocal cords tightened so your new voice matches your new look after the sex change operation. Then what? Rack the shot-gun back? What if it's not a shot gun?
    Rack the slide, or if it's a revolver, spin the cylinder? Now that I think about it, hearing a cylinder spin as you're walking through a house would probably be a pretty creepy sound.

Seriously though, if they're in the house and you can't speak, drop them with no warning if necessary.

Still blinded by the flashlight, so the bg still couldn't see your pistol.
    Rail mounted gives me a free hand. And it may be holding something special too.
    Navydude likes this.

I dont like or put lights on my weapons.
    USM1976 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Right now I only have a gun mounted light for my G19 but want a hand held too. When I save up enough then I will get one. Feel they can work together. As far as blinding the BG; Good. That may give me the split second extra I need to take my shot. Because if my gun light is on then my gun is drawn and it's now a bad day.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    To me the only real advantage to a light on a gun is it keeps the light handy or the gun, depending on how you look at it. Also it makes for a neat handle for a flashlight.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    If the intruder is inside my house to even see my weapon, its already to late for them.Wont matter if they know or not. Smile and wait for the flash
    leprechaun50 and USM1976 like this.

How will he know?
    He'll see the muzzle flash. It'll be quick, be he'll see it.

Muzzle flash and a loud boom.
    oldnfat, dtbone and ugh762x39 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Just a dumb side story. As a truck driver I stopped at a truck stop just to have dinner and complete some paperwork. I stupidly left the passenger side door unlocked. A LOT LIZARD (Hooker for those who don't know CB terminology) jumped into the passenger seat. I grabbed my Hi intensity tactical light (No Weapon) and shown it right in her eyes yelling GET OUT ! She bolted screaming DON'T SHOOT (I guess she's had this experience many a time)
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links