Sigh. Alarm systems, again...

This is a discussion on Sigh. Alarm systems, again... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, the cops almost got there in time... Almost. They responded within minutes. They shot at the fleeing burglars. They even used the helicopter. Wouldn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sigh. Alarm systems, again...

Sigh. Alarm systems, again...

Well, the cops almost got there in time... Almost. They responded within minutes. They shot at the fleeing burglars. They even used the helicopter.

Wouldn't it have been better to keep them out in the first place?

Sorry: Police interrupt Richmond home invasion | abc13.com
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Actually I'm proud of how fast the cops got there. Good on them. Would have been better had the homeowner met them with a weapon but wow. Cops got there in time to pursue them. Give the officers credit.

Now the bad news, even with that quick response they still got there late. The bad guys seem to have been done and leaving. Story doesn't share how much damage was done

Be prepared, you just don't know where or when.
    nortelrye likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

It's not that I don't give the cops credit.

If your stuff is important enough to protect, and you're going to be away from the house for a protracted amount of time... Vacation, business trip, what have you; why not do all you can to keep BGs OUT.

Alarms are okay if you're home to hear it, and it gives you enough time to prepare. But, any additional fortification to slow or stop entry, makes the alarm more effective for police response, and for your own defensive prep.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    True, that is why my alarm system notifies the police and my son in law across the street (who is always armed). Of course I also have steel doors and reinforced door jams. But my house would still be vulnerable to a determined attack so all I can hope for is that the BG's go for an easier target (sorry neighbors, this means you).
    oakchas likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Oh good! They got video of one of the perps!

Here's the article with a still shot. Anyone will be able to pick this guy out, even in a crowd!

Story: http://m.click2houston.com/news/duo-...asion/25917694
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I dont live in town. If im gone for a day or overnight if they want in theyll get in. Unless your alarm dials using an air card that in no way depends on a phone line and the Burglars have a brain its not calling anyone. Rural or semi rural they are pretty much useless unless your home. Heck even the ones I know of around here that dial LE get no response because they go off from silly stuff all the time until LE ignores them.

Im not saying dont have one, and hardened doors etc but if your not there and you dont live in town or right on the edges of one, they probably wont stop a serious break in attempt.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

TRX
    Alarm systems with video are cheap enough nowadays.

If you have property worth putting in an alarm to protect, you need an alarm that records video too.

Video can't stop a break-in, intrusion, or home invasion, but it can identify the perpetrators and it's a big club for the prosecutor to use in court. Burglars are almost always repeat offenders; their faces are likely in the police mugshot database already.

By identifying the perpetrator there's a better chance of recovering some of your property, and at least you can add one more strike to his record before he finally takes up long-term residence in not-so-nice government housing...

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post

If you have property worth putting in an alarm to protect, you need an alarm that records video too.

Video can't stop a break-in, intrusion, or home invasion, but it can identify the perpetrators and it's a big club for the prosecutor to use in court. Burglars are almost always repeat offenders; their faces are likely in the police mugshot database already.

By identifying the perpetrator there's a better chance of recovering some of your property, and at least you can add one more strike to his record before he finally takes up long-term residence in not-so-nice government housing...
    Honest question since ive not been in a position to be dealing with alarm systems for quite a while. If they are in, what keeps them from simply taking the storage device for the video??? Not being argumentative but honestly curious. Barring some off site location for that device and a no phone line needed link to it??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    My alarm system is wireless and stores video remotely to a server that is not on my location.
    Ghost1958 and Blue Thunder like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mine will deafen anyone on location. It's painful, even to deaf me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post

Look at the great video still of the perp in the second link. .. gonna ID that guy?

Post #5
    Ghost1958 and flintlock62 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of the 4 legged alarm systems they are on the job 24-7 and are not affected by power outages, etc.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

As more and more people get hooked on drugs this will continue to happen. Even in a small town like mine where you never used to hear of home break-ins or shootings. Now it's happening everyday. I have outside cameras now and inside. Alarms system with off site storage and a horn that lights up the neighborhood. Bars on the windows and doors that face the woods but the most piece of mind when I am away is my next door neighbor. He, like myself carries all the time and we both watch each other's property. Not much else a person can do.

So a couple of things here. This might not have been a drug related invasion but the perps still might have targeted this house. Like the neighbor said, the hit a house in the middle of the street and were not deterred by an alarm and video cameras which I assume were visible. It mentions an 'undisclosed' amount of money which could be significant cash. Most people don't have significant cash on hand anymore.

As for the alarm and video cameras, there is nothing wrong with having them. They are simply one more layer in security. If you harden your entry points, then a security system serves as an early warning system allowing you time to respond. Just like with a security system, you need to pay for quality video cameras. With wireless cameras, it isn't too hard to hide the location of the DVR or go with an off site system. Both can serve as deterrents to the small time thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    we both watch each other's property. Not much else a person can do.
    That is the best defense, IMO.
    Also, don't let workmen look around your home if possible, do your kids have friends over? Loose lips sink ships.
    I had my trees trimmed, two days later, my extension ladder was missing. It sat in the same spot for two years. Coincidence?
    If I need a plumber, I close every door except where he works. I don't want to hear, "Nice safe, you a gun guy?"
    This may be silly, but I bought a sign off e-bay for a famous alarm company and put it in the yard.

Also, there are recording devices that use motion sensors, but look like a clock radio, picture frame, etc.
    No one would know it's a camera. If you are hit, you can download the video via a USB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links