Chattanooga..... Tell me what to see and where to avoid

This is a discussion on Chattanooga..... Tell me what to see and where to avoid within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heading up to that area. I'm licensed in GA and an HR218 retired LEO so I'll have either my G19 or 26 and probably my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Chattanooga..... Tell me what to see and where to avoid

Chattanooga..... Tell me what to see and where to avoid

Heading up to that area. I'm licensed in GA and an HR218 retired LEO so I'll have either my G19 or 26 and probably my 2.25" SP101. Thanks guys !
    Aceoky likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Well, Lookout Mountain is definitely a must see.The downtown area and Aquarium is also really nice.

Also if you have time, visit my favorite gun store in the nation. GT Distributors. Just across the border in Rossville GA but only 6 miles from downtown.

Chattanooga is where I stay when attending Gun Fighting Courses in NE Alabama from SI. That said, I CCW everywhere there and have never had an issue. Nice place to visit and many nice things to see and do. Stay downtown rather than on the south side or east side. There are a few areas that are better than others. Some Good Bed and Breakfast places including the Mayors B&B, Google is your friend for places to stay. Want some good fun, go ride the Duck, a street and water amfib vehicle. My Granddaughter has driven the Duck in the river!!!!
    old grunt likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Stay away from Ruby Falls. What a waste of time and money.

I would spend a lot of time here: Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service)

In 1863, Union and Confederate forces fought for control of Chattanooga, known as the "Gateway to the Deep South." The Confederates were victorious at nearby Chickamauga in September. However, renewed fighting in Chattanooga that November provided Union troops victory and control of the city. After the fighting, a Confederate soldier ominously wrote, "This...is the death-knell of the Confederacy."

Don't forget the Chattanooga choo choo..
    old grunt and Struckat like this.

You are also near some of the best whitewater in the Nation. They held the Olympics there a few years ago. Worth seeing.
    Aceoky and old grunt like this.

If you "do the Choo Choo", visit Terminal Brew House practically next door. Best micros in town. Moccasin Bend Brewing (also very good) is very near the bottom of the Lookout Mountain incline railway that will take you to the top of the mountain for a great view. The TN aquarium is a top recommendation, and while you are there, you are walking distance to an IMAX theater and Big River Brewing (starting to see a trend here?). If you are historically inclined, there are multiple vehicle (car, bicycle) and walking trails through Chickamauga Battlefield (stop at the visitor center for free park maps). I am not a fan of Ruby Falls and Rock City, but they are considered top attractions by many/most visitors.
    old grunt likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    You are also near some of the best whitewater in the Nation. They held the Olympics there a few years ago. Worth seeing.
    (edit) The whitewater was on the Ocoee River, about 90 minutes east of Chattanooga. Google Ocoee Whitewater rafting. Been there, done that, and it IS worth the trip. But you need to make reservations on line or you may find the river isn't "running" if you just show up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocoee_Whitewater_Center
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    If you have kids with you, they'll enjoy the Incline Railway.

Heck, I rode it all by myself the last time I passed thru on a motorcycle trip.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    The whitewater was in Ocoee National Park on the Ocoee River, about 90 minutes from Chattanooga. Google Ocoee Whitewater rafting. Been there, done that, and it IS worth the trip. But you need to make reservations on line or you may find the river isn't "running" if you just show up.
    Lol, My Wife and I body surfed Grumpys rapid (class 4, IIRC), on the Ocoee. It was not intentional.
    5lima30ret, Aceoky and old grunt like this.

It is my understanding (from reading the signs outside) that carrying at the Aquarium is a no-no. you may want to check that out before ya visit it.
    old grunt likes this.

Rock City is nice!
    old grunt likes this.

Chattanooga years ago was an arm pit. Dirty, run down, ...horrible. Today, its amazing.

Lots of renovated buildings, new construction, hip areas, etc. The economy there is booming. One of my favorite places.

I think you will be amazed.
    Aceoky, 5lima30ret and old grunt like this.

A new place opened up at the base of Lookout Mountain and the Incline - Slick's Burgers. Good beverage choices and awesome burgers. Good patio too. Look up Raccoon Mountain if you want to kick it outdoors at an elevated position. The concept of that place is something unique as well.

Enjoy your time here.
    old grunt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links