Increasing home defense

Increasing home defense

This is a discussion on Increasing home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night my fiance borrowed my car and forgot to lock the door when she parked it. Low and behold, some fine upstanding jerk went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Increasing home defense

Increasing home defense

Last night my fiance borrowed my car and forgot to lock the door when she parked it. Low and behold, some fine upstanding jerk went through my car last night. I hope the $1.50 in quarters was worth it. Now I'm concerned. I would like some feedback and input from folks on some simple or relatively inexpensive options for protecting our home. The house and garage are always locked, and we'll be double checking the vehicles from now on as well. I'm going to convert our exterior lights to the motion activated type. What else can you suggest? And short of patroling our tiny house all night every night, do you have any suggestions for regaining a sense of security in our home? This has got me really rattled.
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Springfield XD40
    Ruger GP100

Good locks on your doors and windows, motion sensor lights and possibly camera, and most important, good insurance and documentation of your valuables.
    CWOUSCG, gatorbait51 and Navydude like this.

security system? ADT, Vivint, etc. sometimes you can get free installation and have decent payments.

my brother in law has Vivint and he got free installation, security system, cameras and mobile access for like $70/month. his system was very simple, only two choices for setting the alarm: "stay" or "away" and one time i set "stay" when leaving and he got on his iphone and changed it. slick. plus, we were there when his son walked out the back slider at 7 in the morning. i think everyone sat bolt up like the exorcist and the monitor-er-ers called within seconds.

anyway, food for thought. +1 on the motion lights. maybe look in to a storm door of some sorts, if applicable, for all exterior doors. gives a decent barrier. if you have a slider they have security wedges for when it's closed, or a good ol' 1x4 of sorts. dog? good luck, be safe.
    Navydude and gatorbait51 like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Don't leave anything of value in remote spots (ie, just sitting in a car).

Don't leave things unlocked.

Have good lighting in key areas, ideally lighting that's motion/light activated and that can keep you in shadow while blinding new arrivals.

Having good advance notification of new arrivals ... via warning beams/fences, motion sensing, alarm system, dogs.

Having good barriers to entry, to buy time if forcible entry is the goal of the new arrivals. Toughened door and frame, toughened windows and frames, bars/barriers at inward-swinging doors, possibly double storm/security doors with appropriate lighting that can keep you in shadow while blinding new arrivals.

Make outside access of window entry and upstairs entry more difficult, and make it impossible to occur unnoticed.

Install a few cameras around the property, at clear entry/transit points ... even if the cameras are fake.

Be well-armed, inside.

Don't get caught unawares. Buy as much time to get fully armed and into a defensible position as you're able to achieve.

Involve your neighbors. Know them all. Know the trends in the area. Keep an eye out for everyone, for your community.

Get involved with law enforcement. Know the officers, the chain of command. Know their basic procedures, response times. Work with them on stiffening your preparations and thinking. They don't need to know the details, but working with them can help you improve your prep.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    <= I got Ole Yella,

Treu.jpg
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I use the wireless perimeter alarm from chamberlin garage door, you can get it on ebay for 50 bucks its a little black box stays in your house comes with one sensor you can mount anywhere outside shoots a invisible beam 88 feet anything crosses it rings in house has a 400 ft range you can buy extra sensors for 39.00 they use AA batteries last about a year the box can work with up to 4 sensors. Just mount the sensors about 4 feet high so animals will not set it off. Works really well.

Make sure the locks on your doors are harden and newer ..Maybe instale strike plates etc to make them harder to kick in.. Video cam sys to see who is at the door is better then standing behind it when someone comes

I like very sharp plants low around the windows .. Makes it a wee bit harder to just stand there and get the dern things open.

Also look at maybe harden the doors of one of your rooms as a importu panic room

If you can handle them Dogs are amazing watch systems .. Normal I will know if anyone is anywhere near the family house ... Alarms are good but the resposne time is not ext amazing in most case so dont exp mir

And of course good insuranse is great .. Check firerarms covarger some Ins planes only cover up to a prety low ammont .. If your in the NRA you get 2.5 k in coverage for free..

Really just keep the house neat and tidy outside and tress etc trimed back can help
    gatorbait51, ccw9mm and Navydude like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have changed some of my spotlights for CFL's that burn 13 watts of power an hour. Not a bright light but enough to deter. I pay 9.5 cents a kilowatt for power. I get 76.92 hours of light for 9.5 cents per bulb. I turn them on when it gets dark and turn them off when it gets daylight. I will post below what I use in my house for early warning. I don't go to this extreme, I just use sewing thread for the tripwire. It makes a good early warning system. The batteries last 90 to 120 days. For a dollar plus tax that's not bad.

gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Like some have mentioned alarms and cams.Back in 98 someone stole my car.I've never had anything like that to happen before.The car had an anti theft device thankfully.You could hotwire it and in 30 seconds it shut off.I guess they got tired of hot wiring it,because the cops found the car a couple of blocks away.I did leave a magazine for a 9mm in it,that's all they got.I did add a couple of motion lights.It did concern me,but made me mad.
    gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.

VIP Member
    I'd start with a dog if you don't have one. Great investment.

VIP Member
    10 to 1 it is kids this very thing happened to me and my cars . Lock the car doors and have motion lights .

As far as home a dog is the best defense but alot of responsibilty , door locks , dowel rods at sliding doors or windows , cut and keep the bushes trimmed , lights on timers on different floors .
    pgrass101 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thanks for all the tips! This place is a wealth of great experience and information.

We've got two dogs, usually pretty good at barking at the things that go bump in the night. I'm guessing since it was left unlocked it didn't raise their suspicion enough to bark. No treats for them for a while!

Whoever it was isn't very bright. Only thing I can find missing is a lighter and the quarters. Left the nickles, dimes, pennies. Also didn't bother my roadside toolkit or the sunglasses and jackets I had in there. I'm going to do a few things to provide a sense of security, and then work on my own self awareness too. It's been hard to hammer "anytime, anyone, anywhere" into my mind. I'm going to take this as a really cheap life lesson. Fool me once, shame on you...
    JDE101, Navydude, vice87 and 2 others like this.
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Springfield XD40
    Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by BobcatSig View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! This place is a wealth of great experience and information.

We've got two dogs, usually pretty good at barking at the things that go bump in the night. I'm guessing since it was left unlocked it didn't raise their suspicion enough to bark. No treats for them for a while!

Whoever it was isn't very bright. Only thing I can find missing is a lighter and the quarters. Left the nickles, dimes, pennies. Also didn't bother my roadside toolkit or the sunglasses and jackets I had in there. I'm going to do a few things to provide a sense of security, and then work on my own self awareness too. It's been hard to hammer "anytime, anyone, anywhere" into my mind. I'm going to take this as a really cheap life lesson. Fool me once, shame on you...

Lighter and quarters? Didn't take tools?

That sounds like neighborhood kids.

Distinguished Member
    What ccw9mm said.
    JDE101 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Another point I'd like to add, if you don't currently carry at home, I'd suggest you start doing so. I never considered it until I started reading this forum about 5 years ago and someone stated the "obvious" that 100 percent of home invasions occur at home! Duh!!! I'd really never thought about it before. Since then, I either have a gun holstered on my person or within arms reach 100 percent of the time! I should probably add that we don't have any children at home, so having a couple of firearms placed in strategic locations does not present a problem for us.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links