FN PS90 a legitimate home defense weapon?

This is a discussion on FN PS90 a legitimate home defense weapon? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you guys think? Worth the $800 or so for something like that?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: FN PS90 a legitimate home defense weapon?

FN PS90 a legitimate home defense weapon?

What do you guys think? Worth the $800 or so for something like that?
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

I'd go elsewhere as I'd want heavier bullets in .224 - BG's are bigger than varmints

As an SBR (with a can?)it might be good, you can put a lot of rounds on target in a short time and it's really compact. Other than that, what's the upside?

Good points about the small rounds. If they put them out in 9mm I could deal with a little smaller round capacity.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

Ammo is expensive from what I have read. Me if I had the money it would be a FS2000 or the Tavor.
    DingBat likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I owned one ... Shoot one if you can first .. One of the other memebrs on here has a long thread about it

Anyhow I will share what I remember about the gun :
    1. Ammo is easy to find now American eagle and others make the round so there is not a issue finding ammo .. What is the issue is finding the good ammo .... The ammo it was made for it nigh immobsible to find... The best round one can buy now is the red box green tips stuff it is a bit hotter then the normal blue tip.. But FN has the issue of not selling it to civies but you can still legaly own it etc
    2. The round was made as a lightweight anti armor round so stoping power esp with civie ammo can be iffy ... VMAX is a good bet as it is a soft pointish round
    3. For me it was a pain in the but to load and get a sight picture just weird ergos .. Combine that with the issus I had loading the mags .... Yeah with training I am sure I could have gotten good with it .. But all that and at the time I owned it only FN was around and not cheep I gave up on it

That all said I am still thinking about getting one ... It had zero recoile and was pretty easy to keep on target that plus 50 round mags is a big plus .. Might not have massive stoping power but 50 rounds kind of makes up for it

For me I kind of like the Uzi for HD ... Esp the old IMI jobs .. Heavy gun so very easy to dump a lot of ammo fast ... Plus even with a civ legal version pretty easy to cqb it .. You sbr one of them ... That is firepower to me ... I do kind of have a soft spot for UZIs though ...Just dont get a Centurty arms job

I know you can get a 9mm Travor rifles ( well conversion kit ) so that is pretty handy right there and a nice compact gun

Also Lone wolfe and others make AR lowers that take glock mags so that in SBR or handgun form could be good
    stoneyb245 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    I like the idea of the gun and will be purchasing one come the end of the year. I have plenty of 5.7 ammo. While the round is small and light, there will be many bullets being fired. With a 50 round mag I am sure I can accomidate any aggressor. No recoil? Outstanding, so follow-up shots are a breeze. Yes there are bigger guns with bigger rounds but I don't really care. I have an AR. I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000. But the FN PS90 has that "second kind of cool" going for it and it is effective. Yes many militaries use it and so does the SS here. I fully recognize they use the high end better than us ammo. But the Blue Tip VMAX still does its job well. And for those who compare it to a .22 magnum, well, the 5.7 have greater velocities out of the Five seveN Pistol than a .22 magnum gets out of a rifle. Not bad for such a tiny round. Need I also go into SHTF mode? Ammo isn't as available as 5.56 yes, but it is highly available now. And the boxes of 50 rounds can fit in your pocket if you are on the run and go. Weight savings is a huige plus here. Just my thoughts.
    DingBat likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

It is better than a .22 magnum and not as good as a AR or AK for the same price range. I prefer my Colt LE6920 5.56X45mm for only a little more money and the ammo is much more available.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Excellent little gun for home defense in my opinion. The downside is that it isnt THAT much smaller than a Tavor (my favorite) or similar bullpup 5.56 rifle. Plus, the ammo is crazy expensive. I love the PS90, but I would spend the extra money for a Tavor...but hey, i'm biased
    DingBat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    It is better than a .22 magnum and not as good as a AR or AK for the same price range. I prefer my Colt LE6920 5.56X45mm for only a little more money and the ammo is much more available.
    Very true. But I want one for the "second kind of cool." I already have that niche filled for defense but I just love firearms and wanna continue to invest in them. This will look anmazing next to my 5.7 Pistol. Plus talk about value builder. Weapons like this will only gain in value over time.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    Very true. But I want one for the "second kind of cool." I already have that niche filled for defense but I just love firearms and wanna continue to invest in them. This will look anmazing next to my 5.7 Pistol. Plus talk about value builder. Weapons like this will only gain in value over time.

I had an FNH FN5.7 pistol and an AR-57 plus several cases of 5.7 ammo. I sold all of them a year ago January for an insane amount of money offered. They were just fun range guns for me. I also sold my Colt 9mm AR at the same time. I also sold a couple of other AR-15s. I kept my Colt LE6920 and my Armalite AR-10. I then bought collectable Colt and S&W revolvers which were not selling during the panic buying of black rifles and high capacity polymer handguns.
    SigIsTheAnswer likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I had an FNH FN5.7 pistol and an AR-57 plus several cases of 5.7 ammo. I sold all of them a year ago January for an insane amount of money offered. They were just fun range guns for me. I also sold my Colt 9mm AR at the same time. I also sold a couple of other AR-15s. I kept my Colt LE6920 and my Armalite AR-10. I then bought collectable Colt and S&W revolvers which were not selling during the panic buying of black rifles and high capacity polymer handguns.
    You flipped firearms! Gained a profit. Weapons aren't just tools to me but investments. It's why when I spend on a gun I put money into what I select. These weapons will maintain their value weither it be in value of usefulness or value of money.
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Close in (household) defense is practically the niche the 5.7 round was developed for. It's what I keep beside the bed. Being small caliber/high velocity, the rounds will break up penetrating sheet rock much more easily than will 9mm, .40, or .45.

Mine has a Burris TRS-25 red dot on it instead of the RingSight or whatever FN has currently, but I wouldn't mind a MRDS if it happened by. If you can find a Generation 1 or Gen-2, snatch that sucker right up. Gen-3's are just as good for normal use though.

One thing I really like about the PS is that even with the full 16 inch barrel, it still extends less far from me that a pistol held up.

Definitely looks like a way cool gun.

As for how it shoots or the 5.7mm round, I cant comment. Another gun that I havent personally shot, but I think that Id trust a little more for defensive usage is the Kriss Vector, just because Id rather have a .45acp than a 5.7mm. Both can put lots of lead down range real fast, but one can shoot a projectile 10x the weight of the other. If I had to pick between shooting a defender with a little 5.7mm pistol round or a .45acp pistol round, Id rather have the .45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Definitely looks like a way cool gun.

As for how it shoots or the 5.7mm round, I cant comment. Another gun that I havent personally shot, but I think that Id trust a little more for defensive usage is the Kriss Vector, just because Id rather have a .45acp than a 5.7mm. Both can put lots of lead down range real fast, but one can shoot a projectile 10x the weight of the other. If I had to pick between shooting a defender with a little 5.7mm pistol round or a .45acp pistol round, Id rather have the .45acp.
    This is where we will disagree. Not on your premise but on the actuallity the the Kriss Vector sucks. Hickok45 used one and couldn't keep the thing on target for nothing. The patented recoil system doesn't do as well as we all were hoping it would.
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links