The Internet of Things and Home Defense

This is a discussion on The Internet of Things and Home Defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You may want to reconsider connecting every single home device to the internet... You may want to reconsider hooking up electrical devices to a ?smart? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Internet of Things and Home Defense

The Internet of Things and Home Defense

You may want to reconsider connecting every single home device to the internet...

You may want to reconsider hooking up electrical devices to a ?smart? power plug device? | Gun Safety Blog

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. Well, if the worst a hacker could do is turn a power outlet on and off, it seems a limited risk. Personally I would always use the hard switch on a potentially dangerous device anyway, but I suppose if folks did actually use this to control something like a space heater, it could be an issue.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

i doubt i will ever get this smart-wall-plug thing whatever the heck it is.

if we've taken to wirelessly turning lights on and off then our race is doomed.........

*the clapper not included*
    locotest and msgt/ret like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Wait til they hack your implanted pacemaker. I wish I was kidding but I'm not- it's already technically possible, and as the "internet of things" grows security will become an even bigger problem. The 'net we all use now evolved from the ARPANET; it was originally intended to connect a very small cadre of scientist and military personnel. Security wasn't an afterthought- it wasn't thought of at all! IPv4 has pretty weak security protocols built in and was never designed to run a whole planet. We're in a situation where the house figuratively needs to be demolished and a new one built...but where do you live while you build the new one? That's where we are right now.
    accessbob and bklynboy like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I know of a case where a local man's house was robbed after a hacker sold to the robbers the information he got through a nanny cam the owner had hooked online.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If they can hack into a baby monitor, they can hack into anything else. No wireless controlled anything in this house. God help me the day I won't get off my butt to lock a door or turn off a light.
    msgt/ret, Navydude, Cnon and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hope they cant hack my clapper
    Cnon likes this.

I have lots of stuff wireless in the house including lights, thermostats, alarm system, and some outlets. My router has deep password access (more than 20 digits and characters), does not have the original user name or password. Lots of routers out there use the following: User Name: Admin Password: Password.
    If it has not been changed in your router, you could get hacked. Everything in my house connects to my wireless router, name not listed but it is not a cheap one. On a wireless router the only way someone is going to hack you is to be on your wifi stream. Cant do it from the outside (your internet connection), has to be on the wifi signal, which can be picked up next door or in the street. Good routers can be seen a couple hundred feet away thru walls.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Any time there is an interface to a device there are people who are going to try to exploit it - plain and simple. It doesn't matter if it is a simple padlock or a computer or a smart device. The nice thing is while there are a large number of people who want to profit from exploits, there are also people and companies that see opportunities to make a lot of money protecting those devices. You can already purchase antivirus protection for smart phones, and I'm sure that soon you will see something similar for smart devices. And, routers and other devices will continue to get smarter as well.

The biggest threats (IMO) come from carelessness - unsecured (or minimally secured) wireless networks, opening email with attachments from people you don't know, and going to "bad" websites. There is software that will help, but in the end stupid and careless = problems. My father-in-law messed-up my son's computer by misspelling Google. The antivirus software provided multiple warnings, but he persisted. I had to scrub the entire machine and reinstall the OS because of that. Until there is some type of anti-stupid protection people and their devices will be at risk.
    ep1953 and accessbob like this.

Directions? Instructions?
    I don't need no stinkin instructions....

"a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
    is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Our family uses candles, fireplaces and light switches...I'm good with that!

Don't worry. Our glorious Pres is going to give the power of the internet over to other countries. What have we got to worry about? Oh yea that's right. They all hate us and want what we have. Oh man, we're screwed.

Anyone seen the movie Red Dawn? Not that I'm paranoid but this country is getting really messed up.
    accessbob and ep1953 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    <snip> Lots of routers out there use the following: User Name: Admin Password: Password.

If it has not been changed in your router, you could get hacked. <snip>.
    Don't forget to change the SSID - the default ones usually announce what model the router is, with that it's easy to look up what the default user/pwd settings are.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I remember as a kid, the BGs would drive through affluent neighborhoods with a Sears garage door remote set to the default code. They just kept pushing the remote until somebody's garage door started to open. Then they'd immediately close the garage door and return at night to rob the place.

In today's "connected" world, you still have to follow basic security protocols like change the password.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

My SSID is FBI_Surviellance_Van. That takes care of most if not all hacking. That and a 20+ digit/letter password.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links