VA: My wife's friend

This is a discussion on VA: My wife's friend within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So last night my wife's ballet teacher started texting her during the world wars premier on history. She was panicking saying her ex boyfriend was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: VA: My wife's friend

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

VA: My wife's friend

So last night my wife's ballet teacher started texting her during the world wars premier on history. She was panicking saying her ex boyfriend was pounding on her door for the last hours and he was drunk, and she didn't know what to do.

I got VERY upset and said what is she doing CALL 911.

I asked my wife what her address was hesitantly she gave it to me. I called the Loudon County Non emergency number because I don't even live in the county she does so if i dialed 911 I would have gotten our 911. She actually told my wife that she wished she had taken me up on my offer and borrowed a gun for personal protection. I said if she's saying that she needs emergency response immediately. I explained to the deputy over the phone what was going on, and they responded appropriately.

I explained to my wife even if it was nothing she needed to at least start a paper trail. Turns out they couldn't locate the BF, but this morning when she woke up apparently her tires where slashed.

I'm afraid this is about to get ugly real quick! This young lady is living paycheck to paycheck and i know she can't afford a gun right now. I have plenty of reliable handguns that are hanging in my safe and am thinking about taking her to the range and start teaching her how to defend herself. For me this is very frustrating because its very black and white, I just don't understand why people are afraid of offending others, or calling the police, for what ever reason. Thats why they get paid with our tax dollars!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Wow. Sounds like a dicey situation. Hopefully you will be able to help her see the need to be able to defend herself.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

This is an extremely dangerous situation to get involved in but everyone makes there own decision regarding risk.

Bad situation. Keep law enforcement and courts involved with a good dose of situational awareness.
    gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.

Hell hath no fury like a man scorned.

Woman, either.

Feeling scorned is an ugly thing, if it grabs hold of a person. Look what happened to what's-his-name in Santa Barbara, where the perp wasn't satisfied with merely slashing tires of someone he couldn't have or who didn't want him.

Ugly situation. Hopefully she's capable of boosting her defenses and/or leaving for another residence pronto.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You mean the Loudon cops left their speed traps to actually handle a criminal act? Hope this young woman is okay and will remain so. Scary stuff indeed .
    Aceoky and Nevermore1 like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

I will agree that people need to have options for protecting themselves.....HOOOWWWWevvver, a woman like that could get someone hurt in a second. She gets a gun and the first JW or Girl-scout that knocks on the door ends up in the hospital. I am glad you are able to help educate her and are there for her if needed, that will help so very much when/if she gets a firearm.
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Richard
    I shoot things with a Canon

Distinguished Member
    Be very careful about 'lending' out a firearm. If your wife's friend somehow becomes an aggressor or the weapon is used negligently you could have liability.

I believe that she needs to seek proper legal help immediately. She can get a court order (I know they aren't worth anything, but it does paper the file and provide backup should something happen later on). I also agree with your thoughts on teaching her how to use a firearm. And, if you feel she must be armed, sell her one of your guns and let her pay for it over time, maybe through free ballet lessons for your wife?
    USM1976, niks, ccw9mm and 8 others like this.

A friend was leaving her abusive husband. And was leaving to another state. The last few days one of her women friends gave he a spare revolver to keep just in case. I doubt any judge would have prosecuted if the EX got aggressive, and she had to defend herself. Luckily nothing happened she left he found someone else.
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Your wife's friend needs to move out to another place.
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

Good gentlemen but I would be very careful because it can back fire.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Don't forget the pepper spray. It's cheap and generally works pretty well.

Moved to Home Defense Discussion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman517 View Post
    Your wife's friend needs to move out to another place.
    Seriously?I guess she needs to quit her job too since I'm sure he knows where she works,maybe her extended family should move too since sometimes if they want to harm the X and can't find her they will either harm their loved ones,or stake out their houses til she shows up.
    I would take her to the range every night until she was confident and proficient with the gun,then we would go over situational awareness and defensive scenarios until I felt sure she could handle herself if the need arise
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good on you for teaching her to defend herself however, I would not loan out a firearm that I cannot afford to lose. If you have one that is not especially sentimental, sell it to her dirt cheap instead of loaning it to her. Limits your liability a bit and if anything does happen, she can rightfully say it is hers. She still needs to do all the paperwork (restraining orders, etc) to cover all bases for whatever court this ends up in. Good luck.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links