Do-It-Yourself Home Security System

This is a discussion on Do-It-Yourself Home Security System within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted a security system at my shop and decided to call a well-known national alarm company and the guy on the phone got a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Do-It-Yourself Home Security System

VIP Member

Do-It-Yourself Home Security System

I wanted a security system at my shop and decided to call a well-known national alarm company and the guy on the phone got a bit too pushy and too proud of his over-priced stuff. That's not going to work with me! I also got a bid from my local alarm company and they wanted $2400......and that ain't gonna work either. I finally decided to buy a do-it-yourself system from Simplisafe. Let me first say I have absolutely no strings attached with the Simplisafe company. I'm just telling ya'll about my experience, because others may be contemplating installing their own, so here's my story.

They have several packaged units to choose from, ranging from bare bones with minimal sensors all the way up to their premium package that has lots of stuff. It's likely that none of the packages will exactly suit your needs, so you find the closest package and buy additional add-on's, which is what I did. I have a base station, keypad, keychain remote, 5 motion sensors, 5 door entry sensors, an auxiliary siren, 5 smoke detectors, along with window decals and yard sign. This package cost me a little over $600, they have 3 different monthly monitoring plans, IIRC $15, $20, and $25. I chose the $25 plan because it merges with smartphones, I thought I'd give that a try a while. They said I can change monthly plans anytime I want to.

My shop is a metal building including 4 different interior rooms. I used less wood and more metal in this new building, my previous shop was seriously damaged by a fire. I was very suspect on how well the wireless signals would work inside the metal lined interior, and also concerned how well the base station (which uses cellular) would pick up a rural cell signal inside this steel building. Surprisingly the wireless works great, and it does hit a cell tower, plus I had wired phone service in there anyway, so the wired is its backup.

All of the sensors came from Simplisafe already paired to the base station. Real easy to install, their tech help/customer service has been great answering all of my questions before and after I made the order. I did not need any help from them during the installation or to get it activated, it was pretty easy. The instructions are pretty thorough, and they have a pretty extensive website.

I suspected the deal-breaker in this would be problems with the wireless sensors and cell phone connection. Before I committed to it, customer service assured me they offered a 60 day money back, no questions asked return policy for any reason. I bought it, installed it, tried it out and it worked. I just don't know how long it will work trouble-free and reliable, but time will tell on that issue.

My shop is a bit off-site from where I live, so I think I'll sleep a little better knowing it has an active security system
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

I was hoping for this 728px-Spring_gun.jpg

But sound like a good set up .. Lets us know how it goes

But metal and radio etc wave is not that great shall be interesting ...
    tcbrad98 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I too opted for a DIY system for my business. No monthly monitoring or third party though. If an alarm is tripped it rings my cell phone. I love it. With everything being wireless these days it couldn't be simpler.

But wouldnt a remotely operated heat-seeking sentry gun be way cooler?

VIP Member
    We put the same system in the Stove Palace about a year ago.

Easy peasy and saves us a bunch from the old service.

DIY Home Security

The YouTube video at the link below may interest you. I recorded this about a year ago:

GSM SMS Secuirty Alarm System Demo:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    ccw9mm likes this.

One of my customers owns a security system sales,installation and monitoring service company, and from conversations I overheard, this guys can monitor not only your property but you and your business or family activities. Everything that you can do from your phone,they can do also, and more. Hackers can also get in the system and sell the information they gather to people with interest.So they have to be people you really trust. This guy is not my customer anymore. "How did he get know so much about theft?

or a couple of dobermans. Only cost is dog food.

(Well, except for ther dogs, training, sigh, etc etc. etc.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My kids have bought home security systems before. The trick to getting good ones for a good price seems to be in getting the national brands to install one "for free", and they only pay for the service. They sign a year contract, And at the end of the year they cancel the contract. They end up with a decent alarm, that cost them $500 but in $40 monthly payments. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I too opted for a DIY system for my business. No monthly monitoring or third party though. If an alarm is tripped it rings my cell phone. I love it. With everything being wireless these days it couldn't be simpler.
    I like that part alot, and if I had it to do over again I'd consider that as well. I don't like the monthly fee part, that "subscription" is where the money is.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I wanted a security system at my shop and decided to call a well-known national alarm company and the guy on the phone got a bit too pushy and too proud of his over-priced stuff. That's not going to work with me! I also got a bid from my local alarm company and they wanted $2400......and that ain't gonna work either. I finally decided to buy a do-it-yourself system from Simplisafe. Let me first say I have absolutely no strings attached with the Simplisafe company. I'm just telling ya'll about my experience, because others may be contemplating installing their own, so here's my story.

They have several packaged units to choose from, ranging from bare bones with minimal sensors all the way up to their premium package that has lots of stuff. It's likely that none of the packages will exactly suit your needs, so you find the closest package and buy additional add-on's, which is what I did. I have a base station, keypad, keychain remote, 5 motion sensors, 5 door entry sensors, an auxiliary siren, 5 smoke detectors, along with window decals and yard sign. This package cost me a little over $600, they have 3 different monthly monitoring plans, IIRC $15, $20, and $25. I chose the $25 plan because it merges with smartphones, I thought I'd give that a try a while. They said I can change monthly plans anytime I want to.

My shop is a metal building including 4 different interior rooms. I used less wood and more metal in this new building, my previous shop was seriously damaged by a fire. I was very suspect on how well the wireless signals would work inside the metal lined interior, and also concerned how well the base station (which uses cellular) would pick up a rural cell signal inside this steel building. Surprisingly the wireless works great, and it does hit a cell tower, plus I had wired phone service in there anyway, so the wired is its backup.

All of the sensors came from Simplisafe already paired to the base station. Real easy to install, their tech help/customer service has been great answering all of my questions before and after I made the order. I did not need any help from them during the installation or to get it activated, it was pretty easy. The instructions are pretty thorough, and they have a pretty extensive website.

I suspected the deal-breaker in this would be problems with the wireless sensors and cell phone connection. Before I committed to it, customer service assured me they offered a 60 day money back, no questions asked return policy for any reason. I bought it, installed it, tried it out and it worked. I just don't know how long it will work trouble-free and reliable, but time will tell on that issue.

My shop is a bit off-site from where I live, so I think I'll sleep a little better knowing it has an active security system
    Posts like this one are one reason I always make a point of reading what you have to say. Thanks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Posts like this one are one reason I always make a point of reading what you have to say. Thanks.

Thank you very much for the kind words. Not just me, but many of us do our share to make this a quality forum.
    welder516, oneshot and nontechguy like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Security is always a good idea. There is a shop right down the street from me that sells mowers etc. Five days ago they got hit. Some guys with a pickup truck and trailer cut their fence at night and made off with eight $6,000 zero turn mowers. All they got was a fuzzy pic of the truck for their $48,000 loss. And another mower shop got hit last week the next county over. That's a big loss for a small business!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thieves are getting worse. Our facility is fully fenced and gated with big swing gates, it's lit like Ft Knox at night, cameras, alarms, even an outside warning sensor that if tripped says, "Warning! You have triggered the alarm!" And then if the alarm does go off there's a sirern that will wake the dead and monitors, as well as internet cameras.

And if I get there before the police... well.. the bad guys will wish I hadn't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Security is always a good idea. There is a shop right down the street from me that sells mowers etc. Five days ago they got hit. Some guys with a pickup truck and trailer cut their fence at night and made off with eight $6,000 zero turn mowers. All they got was a fuzzy pic of the truck for their $48,000 loss. And another mower shop got hit last week the next county over. That's a big loss for a small business!
    Around here, last week, some idiot got it in his head he'd follow the FedEx truck and pick up packages left at the door.
    Someone had a nice system of cameras and recorders. Crystal clear photos of the thief, his car, and the license plate number on the
    car. Last I heard the person to whom the car was registered claimed s/he sold it; I don't know if the investigation is completed.

The cameras didn't stop the theft but they sure made getting info about who the thief might be a lot easier than usual.

I don't know what equipment was used, but I don't believe it was especially high end-- mid range probably. There was nothing fancy
    about the home where the package was taken.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links