Police seek 3 in home invasion

This is a discussion on Police seek 3 in home invasion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may not belong here But, ya know I see so many of these in my perusal of home invasions/robberies/shootings in the news, I'm going ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By RKflorida
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Police seek 3 in home invasion

This may not belong here

But, ya know I see so many of these in my perusal of home invasions/robberies/shootings in the news, I'm going to post this one, this time only.

It's a reminder, it's a cattle prod, it's a plea for all of us to NOT BE VICTIMS of this crime.

Home invaders walked in, held the resident at gunpoint, took his cash, AND HIS GUN.

There is NO excuse for that.

The money? Meh! Who cares? But dang it, don't let 'em take your gun. If it's in reach, you should be using it. If it isn't within arm's reach, or on your person, then why bother?

You should be safest in your own home. You're not.

Every home invasion I post here, happened in someone's home. Darn few of them that I see end up on these pages, because the residents had no guns to use against invaders.

Here's the story: Police seek 3 in West End home invasion | Local News - Home

Pretty brief. The thugs came in, they took the money and the gun.

I can understand burglaries, some of our own members have lost guns to sneak thieves.

But, I really don't understand why you would have a gun/firearm for home defense, and not have it within reach all the time.

If you have a fire extinguisher, it's probably near where a fire will most likely be, the kitchen.

If your home is entered, whether you're there or not, it is most likely entered by the front door.

If you are home, YOU become the victim, or intended victim. Your Life is precious. You can't easily defend it with a "magic talisman" in your bedside table when you are in the living room.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 2nd, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
    ANGLICO, bigdogtx, RickyD and 2 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Yeah... Keeping guns in the safe is a safe bet you're done for... Unloaded ones aren't much better. In fact, as you mentioned, if they aren't within arms reach or fairly close by it's probably not even worth the trouble of keeping them around at all... And to be fair, most people seriously underestimate how vulnerable they are with a standard front door etc. Most times it just takes a kick or maybe two and amid the ruckus you have BG's in your grill before you can figure out whether to crap or go blind...

My uncle owns a Locksmith business and over the years i've worked with him and seen some crazy stuff... Many doors kicked in...

The multiple intruder scenarios, where they use SWAT style tactics and round people up seem to be getting more common.

This is why i like the 5.56 platform for HD. If i can get a hold of it, i still may not get everyone, but you can bet i'll have many lasers to sling in your direction :)

Administrator
    You're right, it doesnt belong here. Moved to home defense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You're right, it doesnt belong here. Moved to home defense.

I knew that. I posted it there for a reason... to make a point... 'sokay, I KNOW the rules... But isn't it the epitome of self defense with a firearm with a bad outcome, if you have a firearm and it's useless to you to defend yourself with because it isn't anywhere around you?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I have several "hot" guns place out of site around the house. No kids around. My hope is that either the wife or I can get to one of them.
    Aceoky likes this.

Not much details to draw any conclusions from.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You should be safest in your own home. You're not.
    Surely can be.

But it takes a hardened perimeter, buying time via delaying entry. It takes easy access to sufficiently formidable weapons. It's greatly aided if able to defend a "funnel" area that's extremely difficult to breach. And it's far easier if some advance warning of the presence of intruders exists, as could be the case with "trip" warning devices around the property, security lighting, etc.

Fail to have any of those things and you'll get what you get. Makes it pretty easy to get surprised, then.

Good example for folks to think about.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Home invaders walked in, held the resident at gunpoint, took his cash, AND HIS GUN.

There is NO excuse for that.
    Years ago my local paper had a story of a man who was robbed at knife point of his pistol. I thought, "how does that happen?"

Maybe he moved to your part of the world?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Links