Things that go bump in the middle of the night

This is a discussion on Things that go bump in the middle of the night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night at 3:43 (exactly) I heard a loud crash downstairs. I rolled over, opened the safe next to me in the dark from memory, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Things that go bump in the middle of the night

Distinguished Member

Things that go bump in the middle of the night

Last night at 3:43 (exactly) I heard a loud crash downstairs. I rolled over, opened the safe next to me in the dark from memory, just as I have practiced, and retrieved my G17 and an extra mag. I pulled on a pair of shorts and was exiting my room within a few seconds of the crash.

I leave lights on around the first floor to illuminate the downstairs while leaving the second floor in shadow. I have a 'bridge' that crosses a large open area on the second floor from one set of bedrooms to another and that is my defensive position. As I exit the room my position is to check the stairs, then the front door then my living room and finally the kitchen area - all this is visible without leaving the second floor. From there it is down the stairs to check the rest of the house.

As I visually cleared the first couple of rooms, I realized that one of my lights was out on the first floor. I carefully leaned out over the bridge, weapon first, and saw the lamp lying on the ground broken with my daughters cat walking away from it.

I finished carefully clearing he rest of the house just to be sure, but this is the second time in 2 months that the animal has shattered a lamp and forced me to go through this process in the middle of the night. It took me at least an hour and a half to get back to sleep and now I am dragging!

On the positive side, I am getting good at how to properly and quietly clear the house from the second floor in low light (at least on the second floor).

Anyone want a cat?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No. Let me repeat that--NO!

Our house pops and creaks throughout the night as it cools and starts over in the morning. My wife has a hard time sleeping through the "noise." I don't hear a thing. She's been that way since a break in--not an invasion--nearly 15 years ago. You'd think she'd get over it by now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No thanks on the cat. Good dogs however bring a lot of peace of mind to the table.
    RickyD, mano3 and mr.stuart like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    No thanks on the cat. Good dogs however bring a lot of peace of mind to the table.
    What is really funny is that neither of our dogs really perked up much with the noise - they left me to check the house on my own. I guess they knew it was the stupid cat...
    tdave and Phaedrus like this.

The dogs and I would be having a talk.
    RickyD and scottync like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    You haven't heard a noisy home until you have lived in a 2 story w/ a 10-12 pitch Large dormers with a metal roof! When a a large chunk of snow/ ice starts to melt and slides down onto the lower metal roof with a CRASH! Fortunately that usually happens during the day, although it also has happened at night!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Silver lining - its good practice!
    RickyD, mano3 and 3rdegree like this.

I'm not one for clearing the house.

On some level, you knew it was the cat.

If you really didn't, your perimeter security is REALLY lacking.

Fix THAT, and sleep better.
    mano3, ccw9mm, ep1953 and 1 others like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

One more level of practice, shooting the cat. Probably going to hear from PITA now.
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by gfrlaser View Post
    One more level of practice, shooting the cat. Probably going to hear from PITA now.
    No, but probably Sister and JL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Our big dog will 'tattle' on the other critters if they act up in the night. He'll whine to let us know.

If he's braking or growling, then we know it's serious...
    tdave likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm not one for clearing the house.

On some level, you knew it was the cat.

If you really didn't, your perimeter security is REALLY lacking.

Fix THAT, and sleep better.
    Given the history, of course I knew it COULD be, and probably was the cat. But you never know until you check it out yourself. A noise is a noise, regardless of how well your defenses are established. I cannot build a fortress, so there is always the possibility that someone made it through my basics.

I live with two older kids both in their early 20's, in addition to my wife, younger child, 2 dogs and a couple of cats. For the moment - until the older ones get their own places, it is normal for me to have late night activity around the house - running into kids late at night is actually one of my greatest fears. While both of the older kids work, kids at that age do not keep hours like you or me. Consequently, frequent calls to 911 don't make a lot of sense for me - I have to deal with things like this more than people who don't have older kids. And, this is probably what desensitized the dogs as well, although they seem to know when a stranger comes to the door.

So, while I know that the noise PROBABLY is nothing to worry about, the only way to make sure is to check it myself... or call 911 on my cat more often...
    mano3 likes this.

Hey--I have a boxer pup that can help you with that pesky cat problem, and won't break lamps at midnight as a side bonus...<g>
    mr.stuart likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Last night at 3:43 (exactly) I heard a loud crash downstairs. I rolled over, opened the safe next to me in the dark from memory, just as I have practiced, and retrieved my G17 and an extra mag. I pulled on a pair of shorts and was exiting my room within a few seconds of the crash.
    Anyone want a cat?
    1) Glad it was only a cat. Being a cat, it probably didn't care it ruined your night. In fact, being a cat, that was probably its objective.

2) I hope that by "shorts" you mean "pants with a very short inseam that are worn over underwear," otherwise you've just confessed that you sleep in the nude.

Best,
    PEF
    RickyD likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Administrator
    I think you had best buy some Scotch Mounting Squares and stick your lamps down.
    RickyD, glockman10mm and ccw9mm like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links