Be safe, yet ready with kids in the house

This is a discussion on Be safe, yet ready with kids in the house within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe someone else has thought through this before. How can you keep your firearms safely away from small children, ages 6-8, and still be ready ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Be safe, yet ready with kids in the house

Maybe someone else has thought through this before. How can you keep your firearms safely away from small children, ages 6-8, and still be ready for a threat in the house. As of right now i have my guns locked away in a gun cabinet, and unloaded. Clear chamber and loaded magazine next to it. I want to have it ready to keep my kids safe if there would ever be a threat in the house, but I want to keep them safe from a mishandled firearm. The way they are now, i don't feel I could redily access them if really needed, but i don't want to make it any easier for my kids to get ahold of them. Any one else dealt with this?
    Phaedrus likes this.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plenty of things like Gunvault and others to resolve your situation. Many can be broken into by a determined individual, but that's not their real purpose, which is a medium level of security with quick access. That and a lot of well-intentioned conversations with the kids, but that's not foolproof with even the best parents or kids.
    10thmtn, WHEC724 and Phaedrus like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The only sure way to have your side arm if you need it and make sure kids dont get it is to keep it on your body at home. Long and short of it. Where you have them now you probably will never reach them in a home invasion. At night by the bed in arms reach. In a quick release safe if that is the only way you feel comfortable.

But chambered, loaded and ready to go. Otherwise a ball bat will probably do you as much good.
    hek1620, Norm66, Gun_guy and 2 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

When my grandson comes for a visit, I carry via appendix, as I normally would. My night stand gun stands in the safe until I retire to my bedroom for the night.
    BigJon10125 and Gun_guy like this.

Distinguished Member
    First and foremost, carry at home. I have an 8 year old and I have at least one gun on my person from the time I get up until I go to bed.

From there, I personally take the time to introduce guns to my son to help satisfy natural curiosity. He knows I carry and since he was 5 or so I have been willing to stop what I am doing, clear my gun and let him handle it whenever he asks.

At night I keep my EDC and a G17 in a small gun safe next to the bed. The EDC stays loaded with a round chambered and the G17 is loaded with no round chambered. I keep 2 extra mags in the safe as well.

Everyone uses a different approach, but this has worked for my family.

The only way to have it readily accessible and safe from children is on your person.

What? That's paranoid!

Okay. Where is it these home invasions occur?

How long does it take to get into the average deadbolted front door?

How quickly can you corral the child/children and access your firearm?

The answer to the first question is:
    < 3 seconds.

The answer to the second is:
    Longer than that!

Good luck!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Normally my CCW when not with me, is on the night stand. But, when the toddler grandkids visit they go in the safe. However my bedroom has a discreetly mounted one of these in there:

Amazon.com: Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe: Home Improvement

Firearm education is important too, when they are old enough to understand. We went through this with the kids, and now we're on to the next generation. This is my methodology, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Linejudgemick View Post
    Normally my CCW when not with me, is on the night stand. But, when the toddler grandkids visit they go in the safe. However my bedroom has a discreetly mounted one of these in there:

Amazon.com: Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe: Home Improvement

Firearm education is important too, when they are old enough to understand. We went through this with the kids, and now we're on to the next generation. This is my methodology, YMMV.
    Putting the grandkids in the safe. wish I'd thought of that. (sometimes I'd like to)

I keep all but my EDC in my safe. EDC is on my belt. At night its under my pillow.
    3rdegree, Badey, Azchief and 3 others like this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

You just need a good quality handgun safe. My preference is one that is made with heavier metal than most since my HD gun is always there and be sure to bolt it down so it can't just walk off. I wouldn't trust electronics to make my gun operate so it only makes sense to me not to depend on anything electronic to store my HD weapon in. I use one with a mechanical pushbutton lock.
    Brenden061 and pgrass101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    You just need a good quality handgun safe. My preference is one that is made with heavier metal than most since my HD gun is always there and be sure to bolt it down so it can't just walk off. I wouldn't trust electronics to make my gun operate so it only makes sense to me not to depend on anything electronic to store my HD weapon in. I use one with a mechanical pushbutton lock.
    That's a nice setup. I like it!
    FAS1 likes this.

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post

What safe is that for the 1911 with the can on it?

A tactical wall is another electronic-free option. Tactical Walls. It is hiding in plain sight and operates by magnet. I bought a tactical wall combo mirror, and extra key for my Dad. Mom, who is pro-safety, was happy too.

The whole package was ~$310 after tax & shipping. Made in 'Murica.

It took us a 6-pack and Friday evening to install.
    Walther PPS 9mm
    MDJ IWB holster // Cooks AIWB holster
    Nelson IWB spare mag (www.nelsonholsters.com) *DC Sponsor*
    Filson belt (www.filson.com)
    SOG Twitch2

If it's not in my direct control, the weapon is locked up. Kids or no kids..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Moderator
    Ft Know pistol safe with simplex locks.

Secure from kids but with quick access
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The second I get out of bed I put on my gun. When I go to bed I have a dedicated holster clipped to the split headboard. While I'm sleeping my pillow covers the gun and its right behind the pillow for easy access. I carry a DAO gun with a 9 lb trigger appendix. When my child is old enough to sleep in a bed and can get up in the middle of the night I will buy a small wall safe and put it next to the bed within arms reach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links