IP Motion Sensor Camera for a church

This is a discussion on IP Motion Sensor Camera for a church within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So somebody has been stealing the batteries out of our buses...I know right?!? Anyway this has happened twice and now Preacher has tasked me with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: IP Motion Sensor Camera for a church

IP Motion Sensor Camera for a church

So somebody has been stealing the batteries out of our buses...I know right?!? Anyway this has happened twice and now Preacher has tasked me with getting a camera for the back part of our parking lot.

Here's what we need: It needs to hook up to our wifi and be able to alert us on our smartphone if a motion is detected at certain times during the night. It also needs to be able to see clearly at night up to 100 feet in one direction and 150 feet in another. We need the quality to be good enough to see faces and/or at least license plates at those distances.

Any recommendations? $150-$200 budget.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    So somebody has been stealing the batteries out of our buses...I know right?!? Anyway this has happened twice and now Preacher has tasked me with getting a camera for the back part of our parking lot.

Here's what we need: It needs to hook up to our wifi and be able to alert us on our smartphone if a motion is detected at certain times during the night. It also needs to be able to see clearly at night up to 100 feet in one direction and 150 feet in another. We need the quality to be good enough to see faces and/or at least license plates at those distances.

You could try this For $199 (not sure how good the picture will be at 150 feet *$199.88 after $100 Tech Savings* Q-See 4 Channel Full D1 Security System with 500GB Hard Drive, 4 700TVL Cameras, and 100' Night Vision - Sam's Club

or this Lorex 4 Channel Wireless Security System with 500GB Hard Drive, 2 480TVL Cameras, and 90/135' Night Vision - Sam's Club
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

i just spoke with a security technician today and he told me most outdoor cameras are unreliable by being susceptible to weather conditions if out in the open. Best to mount them in clear weatherproof enclosures. But then i don't know what that would do to the motion sensing feature.

The first question you need to answer is do you just want to know that there is "someone" in the area or do you want to be able to recognize that person or see tag numbers. The first is the cheapest but least valuable info while the second can easily run your budget closer to the $500 to $1,000+ range.

For your budget it's not going to happen. There's no way you're going to get that range with IR in two different directions in a weatherproof housing. Sorry but it's not going to happen. WIFI and long range IR and motion detection along with notification is going to be quite a bit more. While you will see some outdoor IR cameras rated for 150 feet you will find they are very similar to the FRS radios that advertise 10 mile range and real world get about 1 to 2 miles reliably. For a camera that touts 100 foot IR range figure best case about 50 to maybe 75.

You will most likely need to add additional IR illuminators to get the range you want.. Don't forget that all of these pieces require at least power runs or cabling of some sort even for the WiFi versions.

Here's a company that is both trustworthy and carries a well made but reasonable product line. They offer good tech support and will walk you through your choices if you give them a call.

http://www.supercircuits.com/securit...oor-ip-cameras

Remember too that you can't take an IR illuminated camera and place it inside a weatherproof housing. They tend to get the reflection of the IR illuminators back into the camera from the window of the housing making them unusable so you either have to go with a camera that is meant to be used with external IR illumination or find one that is weatherproof to begin with.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; June 12th, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
    ccw9mm and AR15VSCoyote like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Dropcam is coming out with these wifi stickers that text you if a door is open for 29 each. Maybe you can put some of them on the busses and a trail camera

Amazon.com : Dropcam Tabs Wireless Movement Sensor for Dropcam Pro - White : Camera & Photo

Bullseye is 100% correct in all he said- you're budget won't touch an IP system.

I won't go on my rant about CCTV, but do check out supercircuts.com- they are also VERY
    helpful if you call their tech support.... and decent pricing too
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

Your asking for alot on a little budget. IR out to 150ft will be tricky. I have this camera Foscam FI9805W H.264 Megapixel Outdoor Wireless IP Camera which is great and throws great IR out to about 100 ft, however, it does not rotate and therefore won't be able to capture 2 directions. Nor does it zoom, however you can outfit it with different lenses to capture different angles and depths. I have it loaded into an iphone app that will automatically send me pictures & or video based on movement. While this camera is HD, you will lose all that due to the nature of it being night and having to use IR lights. How/where will you mount this camera? Under an eave? Inside? Outside and exposed?

This one might be worth considering. Its wireless, has PTZ controls, IR but only out to 45ft. http://foscam.us/outdoor-cameras/fos...amera-174.html

If you come up with a product that does what you are looking for for $200.00 please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchild View Post
    Your asking for alot on a little budget. IR out to 150ft will be tricky. I have this camera Foscam FI9805W H.264 Megapixel Outdoor Wireless IP Camera which is great and throws great IR out to about 100 ft, however, it does not rotate and therefore won't be able to capture 2 directions. Nor does it zoom, however you can outfit it with different lenses to capture different angles and depths. I have it loaded into an iphone app that will automatically send me pictures & or video based on movement. While this camera is HD, you will lose all that due to the nature of it being night and having to use IR lights. How/where will you mount this camera? Under an eave? Inside? Outside and exposed?

This one might be worth considering. Its wireless, has PTZ controls, IR but only out to 45ft. Foscam FI8919W Wireless Outdoor Pan/Tilt IP Camera
    Yeah it will go under an eave at the corner of the building. We have a shed that we are concerned about as well which is 90 degrees and 75ft away from where we are wanting to put the camera. I think we figured out the busses are only 100 feet out.

I guess on our budget what we need is wireless/IR camera that alerts an iphone app when there is movement so we can just call the police and hope they get there in time.

Administrator
    You could always visit your friendly neighborhood welder and go this route. Click the PIC.
    It would be much less expensive. Especially if you happen to have a welder in your congregation.

battery2.jpg

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Lock up the batteries?

VIP Member

Park them all at the police station ....or bait the watermelon patch...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Yeah it will go under an eave at the corner of the building. We have a shed that we are concerned about as well which is 90 degrees and 75ft away from where we are wanting to put the camera. I think we figured out the busses are only 100 feet out.

I guess on our budget what we need is wireless/IR camera that alerts an iphone app when there is movement so we can just call the police and hope they get there in time.
    After the 10th or 15th plastic grocery bag blows through and you get tired of it happening at all hours of the night and day you may find you're better off with some other technology instead of video.

Bugs flying around or crawling on the housing will give you a video motion alarm also so you have even more fun awaiting.

If your church has a building security system you may be able to add a group of wireless switches for both the buses as well as the shed. You could wire the hoods or the battery boxes depending on the location of the battery and have the transmitter inside the bus under the dash. Your best bet is to contact who ever takes care of your church security system and talk with them.

After more than a few years involved in outdoor security I can guarantee that it's not a $100 video solution for anything outdoors that will last any length of time. We haven't even brought up the other nemesis of outdoor security, lightning.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Just installed a powerhouse of a camera for a client. 36x outdoor PTZ with dual bank I/R that claims (and actually does) 300' I/R range. But it wasn't anywhere near $200. Closer to $1500. (Could have sold it for $2000). Liscence plate recognition on top of that? I know it's for a church and they are notorious for no budget, but it just isn't going to happen.

"I miss America"

Hmmmm, hood locks? Car alarms? Just to keep in budget
    Exploding dye packs? Sure would mark the thieves.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links