What would you do with a bump in the night?

This is a discussion on What would you do with a bump in the night? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Around 3:30 this morning I was awakened by the sound of my alarm going off. I proceeded to secure the upstairs sleeping quarters, and waited ...

View Poll Results: When you hear a bump in the night, you:

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clear the house

41 61.19%
  • Secure sleeping quarters and wait for law enforcement

26 38.81%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: What would you do with a bump in the night?

Around 3:30 this morning I was awakened by the sound of my alarm going off. I proceeded to secure the upstairs sleeping quarters, and waited for the police to arrive/complete perimeter sweep before I went down stairs to let them in to clear the rest of the house. It turned out to be a false alarm. I guess my question is what would you guys do if you suspected an intruder was in your home? Would you clear the house or wait for law enforcement?
    Kmcg1525 and BenGoodLuck like this.

Seeing the size of my place ( like stand in one spot see 99% of the place ) .. I would grab what ever gun was handy ( god help them if today was ak and 44 mag day ) and go see what was banging about ...

That said if I was in the other places I have lived I would call cops and wait with long gun ready and aimed at door and wait for them to clear ....

As it is now it would take me like 20 sec to clear my place 1 min if I wanted to check all the nooks so ...

In most case thoue I would say staying put guns at ready is the best option ... I dont have the training or skill for room cleaing ...As I said right now I have a pretty open floor plan so not ext great skill to see what made that bang
    Phaedrus likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would send my wife down the hall to see what was up while I get my gun, I am a better shot than her. No just kidding, I believe in calling the police stay in place, all the bedrooms are at the end of a hallway. (corridor of death). I won't clear my house, puts me at a disadvantage, If they want to continue down the hallway after a warning that's their misfortune.

VIP Member
    In most cases the smart thing to do is arm yourself and call 911 and wait. Let the LEO clear the place once they arrive. That's what they are paid for.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

An alarm is definitely a part of a good security plan. However you need to finish it off so that when someone breaks into your house, you KNOW someone broke into your house. Get a mid to large dog who will help alert you. Most importantly, make it really difficult to break into your house so that it will require time and making a lot of noise. Lastly if you have the money then add a camera system to your alarm. Or you could add an independent one for a lot cheaper.

I'm a fan of getting the family to safety first, then waiting for the LEOs to do their thing. However, false alarms happen, so I would probably listen for some evidence that there really was someone in the house before having the police dispatched.

Just curious, what set the alarm off?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Per the OP's query, I would call 911 and wait.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    mostly; i'm not into clearing structures by myself.

though the floor plan in my house is terrible, and there isn't nothing for a little "recon in force".

and don't tell me "i shoulda bought a better house". i got 2.5 acres, with a well, with fruit trees, with beautiful old barns, with storm cellar, with everything i could want, except and older house with an awful floor plan. someday i'll remodel. until barring downstairs windows and keeping people OUT in the firstplace is highest priority. keeping the house well neough lit at night, and everyone having a plan covers the rest. there's only one hallway i HAVE to go down,. angles are good for shots, once at the end of said hallway, hold and wait.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    As a default position, hole up and call the police. There is a reason even trained LEOs prefer not to clear a house by themselves if there is another option.

I've thought about this situation. Fortunately, I sleep on the second floor and have a natural bottleneck to defend. The BG can take my $500 computer, $50 stereo, and kitchen appliances.
    Walther PPS 9mm
    MDJ IWB holster // Cooks AIWB holster
    Nelson IWB spare mag (www.nelsonholsters.com) *DC Sponsor*
    Filson belt (www.filson.com)
    SOG Twitch2

Also have small place can see almost all of it from bedroom, have outside perimeter alarms an small yappy dog. Cant get in without me seeing so 870 would be out clearing house turn on all lights outside from inside. Retirement community have armed guard at gate have them do driveby.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Where I live it would be a long wait for a cop to come!

Distinguished Member
    Reach over to the nightstand and tap to wake the wifi tablet which has 8 of the security cams displayed and then grab the Sig that's right beside it.
    patri0t likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb27 View Post
    Around 3:30 this morning I was awakened by the sound of my alarm going off. I proceeded to secure the upstairs sleeping quarters, and waited for the police to arrive/complete perimeter sweep before I went down stairs to let them in to clear the rest of the house. It turned out to be a false alarm. I guess my question is what would you guys do if you suspected an intruder was in your home? Would you clear the house or wait for law enforcement?
    With my home's layout and the wait time for LEO, my wife retreats to cover and calls 911 while I address the threat. Yes, I clear the house.
    CWOUSCG, virg, Bad Bob and 5 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My dogs tend to do a GREAT job keeping the house clear. That being said, it's a bit different out in the country. You just don't call 911 out here until you are sure of the threat. Of course, this may mean you're on your own to deal with any threat that appears. But, we learn to deal with trouble and hardship on our own here in the country. (It's something folks in the country have been doing since before we were a nation.)

On a personal note- I will not cower in my room and call 911 when my children are on the other end of the house. I'm sure my two PP trained pits will most likely do a pretty good job of running interference and help me & my wife get the upper-hand in most situations.

I know from 1st hand experience that "when seconds count the cops are only minutes away."

-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links