Vehicle as Instrument?

This is a discussion on Vehicle as Instrument? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many folks consider the vehicle itself as a possible instrument of not only self defense but of preservation, indeed as a means to survive? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Vehicle as Instrument?

Exclamation Vehicle as Instrument?

How many folks consider the vehicle itself as a possible instrument of not only self defense but of preservation, indeed as a means to survive?

I have owned everything from a sporty little VW Scirocco to a classic Mustang to a Ford Explorer 4x4 to a soccer dad minivan to a Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4. In between all of those I also have had a few motorcycles over the years, always as my sole means of conveyance during that period of ownership. As a young army officer in my 20's I think I was firmly in the sports car camp. Nothing 4x4 or truck like and CERTAINLY nothing resembling an M151A1 JEEP! Drove that one at work. The army was not my first concealed firearms permit. I had one as a senior at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Many of the Army ROTC guys did at that time and there really wasn't any restrictions to carrying on campus. Just couldn't keep them in the dorms. I got my next carry permit at my duty post, Fort Lewis in Washington State. That was my sports car era. If I considered the car as a means of defense it was in the speed and maneuverability and my very fast reactions.

I think the first time I considered the vehicle as an instrument of survival in and of itself was my Explorer 4x4 that I bought in 1992 just four years into my marriage. By the way, August will make it 26 years and counting. At that time I was seriously considering the possibility of a necessity to BUG-OUT for a variety of reasons, but terrorism wasn't on the list at that time. Hurricanes were having just gone through Hurricane Andrew (my 14th storm by then) and beginning to be worried about the possibility of what Clinton would do as POTUS.

The Explorer was a capable vehicle aside from the proclivity of getting out of alignment whenever it took any bump the size of a medium sized pothole at anything more than a dead crawl. I also loved the capability to jump curbs easily whenever an emergency vehicle came screaming up behind me code 3 on a mission. The Explorer easily held all our gear for extended travel to the North Carolina mountains for vacations including all my wife's "stuff" and our huge Newfoundland dog at over 145 pounds of wild eyed love. The 4x4 was amazing for us in the NC snows in the mountains. Once we were renting a cabin that had a small spring at the edge of the cut out area for parking. On one side trip I was trying to pull out of there and the front tires crunched through the thin ice at the edge. I put it in reverse and the rear wheel just spun. I looked at my wife and said that if we were in HER car, we'd still be there in the spring. But I popped it into 4WD (high gear) and just smooth as silk got out of the situation. Later that trip, we were on a steep mountain road and folks were sliding all over the place and my wife was terrified. So I put the truck into 4WD (low gear) and we just crawled down that mountain solid as a rock. At that point she said we'd always have a truck like that.

Time passed, so did our dog. We mourned so hard we got not one but TWO more Newfoundlands. That meant we needed more room. The Explorer had gotten us through the Clinton Years and the Y2K scares. I figured we could breathe at least a little while during the Bush years. So I got the minivan in 2002. A KIA Sorrento XL. It was remarkably fast but sucked gas like a Suburban. But it held both dogs and all our stuff for those vacations. But this was only viable if the road was there for us, the minivan was in no way capable of even going across a yard. But it was a real heavyweight of a vehicle. I figured if it ever came to needing to use the vehicle to survive it would make a handy ramming vehicle if only once.

Then came Obama and all the years (decades) I'd been studying the phenomenon called by it's quaint initials (NWO) started coming together. Of course 911 was on everybody's radar for a repeat and we were fully engaged in one war and fixing to get into another and I was worried about needing to get out of the southern end of the state in a serious emergency. The KIA was already starting to wear out and they had not quite outright reneged on that famous warranty (10 years or 100K? Don't bet the farm) but they wiggled out of it on a technicality. I wanted a real survival type vehicle that I could use to not only leave Miami under stress, but that I could use literally off road (as in no roads) cross country if necessary. So we went out and got a great deal on a never been titled 2008 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 with a lifetime warranty in writing for the power train and 4x4 components. Then I bought another lifetime warranty for the rest of the vehicle. But is it enough? We lost one of the two newfies a couple of years ago and the other is nearing the end which I hate. But if we had to get out of here, there would be virtually no room for our basic load for subsistence let alone the serious BUG OUT tools I would need.

Now I'm just a few years away from retirement to... we hope Asheville NC or some area near that. We're thinking of doing some traveling and we don't like to fly too much. Plus we always take whatever pup(s) we have, and we'll always have a dog. So that got me to thinking about what sort of RV I might like. There's the dream: which can range from $250K to twice that: EarthRoamer » EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles and there WAS this vehicle Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - 4WD (4 Wheel Drive, 4x4) that I wanted in a diesel but that was killed in 2006 when Ford stopped making that model and now the V10 gas version is going away too as Ford brings in the Transit to replace the older van models. I gotta have a diesel. For safety and for it's ability to be multi fueled in a pinch. Here is a crazy example of over the top that would probably go for a million: Survivor Truck or these GXV Overland Vehicle Model Lineup | Global Expedition Vehicles

Barring being born a Trump or Rockefeller or winning the Power-ball, these are unlikely. What about that odious end of days scenario which is the EMP terrorist attack that would send us all back to the stone age forever? Wanna be one of the few still rolling? What about an EMP proof 4x4 that goes anywhere and runs on multiple fuels? Like you could run this thing on Banana oil or fast food residue and you can get one fully road worthy and titled for the road: we-the-people-

But I think I may have found the perfect vehicle that MIGHT be within my reach by the time I retire: Home- Earth Cruiser Vehicle | Luxury overland vehicles | Comfortable Luxury Travel

What about YOU? Have you ever thought of your vehicle as more than just transportation and more as either an instrument for defense or even long term survival? I have some video links that I will post in a sequence after this first one. The pup on my lap is the one we still have. We lost the other one almost 18 months ago. The pup remaining is about four years younger than the first. The Jeep in the first pic is mine but I now have it with a hard top.
    Attached Images
    gatorbait51 and Phaedrus like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    This is my next vehicle, it can be disguised as a speed bump

Summer Fever | Elio Motors

Actually I am intrigued by its low price and high mileage claims. I hope they make it, Tesla seemed weird when they first came out too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

I just LOVE the Tesla. If I could afford one I'd probably already have one. There is a dealership right nearby, too. I'm waiting for their new SUV.

As a survival vehicle there is a LOT to recommend this, especially if it could be recharged via solar power. Except of course in the event of an EMP attack.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Me the idely verchia is a olllld diesel one that can run anything ... Even better if armored

Really for me survial vehcial ether
    a. Will surive anything from the pulse of a nuke blast to off roading
    b. and or withstand small arms fire if needed

Right now I dont really have one that does either ... Its on my list
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    My 25 HP Kubota tractor is EMP proof will run on biodiesel or refined vegetable oil. It's old has 1500 hours on the engine but will probably outlast me.
    MrBuckwheat and 5lima30ret like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've got a 1984 Toyota FJ60 Landcruiser that I consider our bug-out machine. Built like a tank with an inline 6 tractor motor, and a low-low that will pull just about any incline. Last year of the non-electronics too. Unfortunately it's a gas engine and gets about 10 mph.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I am very hesitant to use my Bentley for a battering ram.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Unless you are making steam, why would you heat hot water? Did you mean water heater?
    OldVet and mcp1810 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Unless you are making steam, why would you heat hot water? Did you mean water heater?
    I dunno, ask the guy who made the video and put that caption on the video. But I'm GUESSING that it's a water heater for hot showers and lemme tell you there is nothing that will make you feel better in a crisis than a nice hot shower.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links