Vehicle Ammo Cache

This is a discussion on Vehicle Ammo Cache within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So about a month ago I decide it is time to have a ammo cache in the vehicle.I already had one of those empty plastic ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Vehicle Ammo Cache

Vehicle Ammo Cache

So about a month ago I decide it is time to have a ammo cache in the vehicle.I already had one of those empty plastic ammo cans that you buy bulk ammo in at my disposal.

The challenge was to get a viable number of rounds for each of my two most carried pistols(xd45 and sig p6) ,for my defensive rifle and defensive shotgun,with some .22lr thrown in for good measure in the small ammo can.

This is my breakdown.

Two thirty round mags for the AR/with comptac AR mag belt mount pouch.
    Thirty rounds of 5.56 in stripper clips/with stripper clip loading tool
    12 rounds of 12ga Winchester PDX1 defender
    5 rounds of 12 federal 00 buck
    13 rounds of 230 grain 45acp hp loaded in an xd mag
    36 rounds of 9MM 124 grain hp.
    50 rounds of subsonic 22lr hp.

I opted to not put a mag for my 1911 or the sig in the box.

My sig is my most carried pistol and mags that I am not carrying are stationed in various areas in the house.
    If I happen to be carrying the 1911 I can always reload out of the xd mag.

So does anybody else have a vehicle cache?

If so I would be interested in your breakdown and any thoughts and discussion that comes along.
    1MoreGoodGuy and StormRhydr like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

2. Remove Ads

I've got 16 extra rounds of 38SPL in speed strips in my car but that's it.
    CIBMike and NickBurkhardt like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Normaal :

1. 5 ak 30 rounds mags for the NPAP 3 ball 2 soft point
    2. 3 mags for the 229 40 cal
    3. 1-2 boxs of 38 or 357
    And usually a lot of other ammo laying around from range trips .. Dont keep too much due to high heat here but normal have at least 3 or 4 mags worth
    CIBMike, StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If I had a dedicated Car Gun Like an FN 5-7 or better yet a PS90, I would extra loaded magazines. I wouldn't bother with loose ammo.
    CIBMike likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I don't keep a vehicle cache, but I have a backpack style drag bag that holds two rifles with lots of ammo and a range bag that I throw in depending in where I am going and what I am doing.
    CIBMike, GWarden and Aceoky like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    If I had a dedicated Car Gun Like an FN 5-7 or better yet a PS90, I would extra loaded magazines. I wouldn't bother with loose ammo.

Loaded mags yes good idea but a ps90???

I would never keep a 1-3k gun long term in my vcar

My normal car guns are 350 and 400 each .. Not a massive lost like a fn or ps90
    CIBMike, StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I prefer to keep my ready service ammo in a tactical bag I keep in my basement storage locker where I can control temp and humidity. Since I don't routinely carry anything but my EDC in my vehicles, I see no reason to keep extra ammo in them, particularly since the firearms are in my safe.
    CIBMike, Struckat and Ksgunner like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Sponsor
    I carry a glock 17 with two extra mags and a 50 rnd box in my jeep.

VIP Member
    I only keep one or two loaded mags in my truck, any more than that makes the SPs nervous if I get stopped for a vehicle search going on base and having an empty pistol rug in the glove box usually gets a question also.
    CIBMike likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    I have one extra loaded mag in my get home bag for my G19 but that's it. I usually have a box or two of ammo in my range bag but no real vehicle cache for me.
    CIBMike likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I used to keep an extra G 19 mag and a box of 50 in the console. Not anymore we seem to have Thieves among us. When I discover my truck has been rifled through. Three times in two years. I am glad my precious ammo and Mags are not in the Truck.
    CIBMike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Do you often have a 12ga, AR and .22 in your vehicle?

I'm needing help seeing a scenario where this is helpful. Things like unloading mags and reloading different ones, or taking the time to load loose rounds? I guess I see my time better spent driving than reloading.

I see this falling into the bug out genre. I often ask "bug out" planners, to where are you bugging? That is the style of question I have here. I need the big picture to help me understand the intent.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Not to be the buzz-kill here but how do extreme temps. effect ammo ? i ask because i am not sure how a 100 degree outside the car temp may make it 135 inside the car .
    CIBMike likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Do you often have a 12ga, AR and .22 in your vehicle?

I'm needing help seeing a scenario where this is helpful. Things like unloading mags and reloading different ones, or taking the time to load loose rounds? I guess I see my time better spent driving than reloading.

I see this falling into the bug out genre. I often ask "bug out" planners, to where are you bugging? That is the style of question I have here. I need the big picture to help me understand the intent.
    Not so much as a "bug out" but a "get home" situation ..........and yes between working at an indoor range, shooting at an outdoor range coupled with the occasional shooting match there is a long gun of some sort in the sub trunk of my ridgeline quite often.

I like being adaptable so I like the idea of being able to bring any defensive weapon that I own to bear if the need arises.
    1MoreGoodGuy and StormRhydr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Not to be the buzz-kill here but how do extreme temps. effect ammo ? i ask because i am not sure how a 100 degree outside the car temp may make it 135 inside the car .
    It really is not a buzzkill ,pretty legit question,that I can only answer with my personal experience.

I have successfully used ammo that has been subjected to months of 100 plus degree weather.
    I have successfully used ammo that has been buried underground in a cache for weeks.

I am confident that the ammo in the sealed sub trunk of my Honda in a plastic ammo can with a rubber seal and silica gel packs to help with temp change condensation will be just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links