Today Show Home Defense Advice

This is a discussion on Today Show Home Defense Advice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't see this posted anywhere. The Today Show did a piece on how to protect your family from a home invasion. Somewhat unsurprisingly, firearms did ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: Today Show Home Defense Advice

Distinguished Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere.

The Today Show did a piece on how to protect your family from a home invasion. Somewhat unsurprisingly, firearms did not make the list of the 3 best things you can do to protect yourself.

Home invasion: Jeff Rossen shows how to protect your family - News - TODAY.com

Then it is our obligation to let them know the three Best wast to protect the home.
    1) Beretta CX4
    2) Beretta 92FS
    3) Beretta PX4

Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Doesn't sound like a single way to protect yourself "from" a home invasion. It sounds like he's trying to give a person advice once the person is already in your home. There are plenty of things to do to deter or prevent a home invasion. And none of the advice he gave was in reference to "preventing" a home invasion. And their advise was wasp spray. Hahahahahahah! I am simply amused by these people and their sense of utopia and giving criminals more rights that the everyday person.

I haven't compared the two,but he said wasp spray was more powerful than police mace.It would seem the police would be using wasp spray,instead of mace. I will stick to my GL19 and my 870.

No mention of the possibility of violence at any time during a home invasion either.

Pie in the sky ,lukewarm,half hearted advice.
    The easy way is always mined.

Today show, filmed in NYC. Go figure.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have little regard for the Today Show and IMO the tips were strictly anti gun and when another old retired desert dog like myself discussed the wasp spray it opens up a wider scope for charges in regards that it states on the cans I have can or will cause blindness where as my Fox spray says temporary blindness. In a home invasion they have crossed the line because I do not believe that some one who breaks in is there for donations for the Red Cross and with that in mind I will stop the threat and if it causes the demise of the intruder so be it.

I wonder if anyone on the Today show researched the effects, both physical and legal, for using wasp spray against humans indoors. My guess is they just took the "expert's" advice at face value. FAIL. Someone on another forum mentioned using this spray indoors is a federal crime. I doubt it passes muster with the Geneva Convention either.

Wasp-spray-label.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member
    Imagine of you wanted home protection advice and guns had never been invented so they were off the table as an option. That is how you get hornet spray and "lay there and cooperate with robbery (and possible rape) for best suggestions.

OR go to the Today Show from New York.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I wonder if anyone on the Today show researched the effects, both physical and legal, for using wasp spray against humans indoors. My guess is they just took the "expert's" advice at face value. FAIL. Someone on another forum mentioned using this spray indoors is a federal crime. I doubt it passes muster with the Geneva Convention either.

Wasp-spray-label.jpg
    Yeah, there is this funny law against using the contents for other than intended purposes...

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

That had to be one of the dumbest reports I have heard. Advocating the improper use of wasp spray. Good lord....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    That had to be one of the dumbest reports I have heard. Advocating the improper use of wasp spray. Good lord....
    ..............millions will see it ..........and how many will take it to heart?

Too many.
    The easy way is always mined.

Wasp spray may indeed be more effective and have a longer range than mace. A .380 beats either on both counts. A 12 gauge REALLY beats them.

Kinda funny when they have to dance around the obvious like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    "Remember, treat them like royalty. On top of that, you don't want to lie to them."
    like royalty? gaggggggg
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    The comments on the link are excoriating Today for this article. I agree with Harryball - this is one of the DUMBEST articles I have ever read. And not only that - it's irresponsible in the advice it's advocating.

Here's a little more about Wallace Zeins: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/21/jo...ront.html?_r=0

Mr. Zeins, 58, retired in 2003 as night commander of Manhattan detectives and as a supervisor of the department's hostage negotiating team... he and two other men opened a firm specializing in private investigations and law enforcement consulting...He said that though he and his partners had the knowledge to establish their firm, Northshore Investigative Group, based in Jericho, N.Y., "there's more to know" to make it survive and thrive.
    Wasp spray and treating home invaders like royalty is not going to help his business survive, and it certainly won't help the unfortunate people who follow his advice survive either!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links