Defensive Shooting Insurance

This is a discussion on Defensive Shooting Insurance within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The NRA recently sent me an offer to buy defensive shooting insurance. Basically, it covers your legal bills both against criminal prosecution and liability suits. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Defensive Shooting Insurance

The NRA recently sent me an offer to buy defensive shooting insurance.

Basically, it covers your legal bills both against criminal prosecution and liability suits. Although the criminal coverage is only $50,000, which doesn't seem like enough.

Has anyone purchased a policy like this? Would you?

I have an "umbrella policy" thru the company that insures my house. $21/month for $1,000,000 coverage.
    Covers everything but "malicious, intentional" actions by me (or my family members living at home).

Most previous discussions seem to be in "Conceal Carry Issues" subforum. I hope that helps!
    Really, I care about your opinion. It seems reasonable.
    Its just that I've ALREADY decided on something else!
    Hint: Its NOT a Glock.

There were two threads discussing this recently- within the last couple of weeks. Some good info there; you could probably find them in a search.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    I have an "umbrella policy" thru the company that insures my house. $21/month for $1,000,000 coverage.
    Covers everything but "malicious, intentional" actions by me (or my family members living at home).

Most previous discussions seem to be in "Conceal Carry Issues" subforum. I hope that helps!
    And there's the downfall--the intentional act.
    5lima30ret and NickBurkhardt like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well that MIGHT cover liability (but I doubt it.)

It certainly will NOT cover your legal expenses, which will run tens of thousands of dollars, if you're lucky, hundreds of thousands if you're not.

You need to read your fine print in your Umbrella Policy. Then call your agent and ask him or her if it will cover you shooting someone. Your not going to like the answer. If they say yes get it in writing from them or your company. I don't think they will give it to you.

My father had (has?) a similar policy. Years ago, some people tried to sue him over the death of a family member.
    Dad had sold the property by the time the suit was filled, but because he had that policy on that property, at the time of the incident, the insurance company provided council to defend (and would have paid any judgement, up to policy limits).

I have discussed my particular policy, what it covers and what it won't, with my agent getting a response from corporate headquarters. If I am commiting an intentional, unlawful act (vandalism, assault, ...etc.) - no coverage.
    However, SD (no matter where I am, or what I use) is covered.

I am not saying every insurance company takes that stand, but I specifically asked my agent, "If it doesn't cover self-defense firearm usage, what good is it to me?" He is a gunowner also. He agreed with me.

Moral of the story, talk to your agent, read the policy, ask the questions. Don't settle for an answer, get THE answer.

PS
    Don't buy insurance from non-gunowners. There are literally thousands of agents out there, get one you like and trust.
    dangerranger likes this.

My only issue with a policy (like those offered to NRA members), they only cover firearms usage.
    If I club someone with a flashlight (before I could get my firearm) and they are brain damaged for life, is the defensive firearm policy going to cover that? Doubt it! The firearm was never used.

All insurance companies try to collect premiums, and avoid payouts. Look at your car insurance. Does it cover the defensive use of your car to protect life? Not likely.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    My homeowner's covers me for SD & firearm losses if I am not involved in a separate criminal act + subject to state laws.
    My state does not allow pre-emption of state laws and state law protects me from civil litigation in a justified self defense.
    So, self defense insurance would not provide me any benefit if I were criminally charged with a 'Bad Shoot'.

My law firm (not storefront lawyer) charges me $100./hr to look over such documents, insurance policies, mortgage papers, wills, etc. and usually costs me $50. for proper advice. A fine investment.
    These policies may have more value in other states &/or with other insurance companies.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

My father had (has?) a similar policy. Years ago, some people tried to sue him over the death of a family member.
    Dad had sold the property by the time the suit was filled, but because he had that policy on that property, at the time of the incident, the insurance company provided council to defend (and would have paid any judgement, up to policy limits).

I have discussed my particular policy, what it covers and what it won't, with my agent getting a response from corporate headquarters. If I am commiting an intentional, unlawful act (vandalism, assault, ...etc.) - no coverage.
    However, SD (no matter where I am, or what I use) is covered.

I am not saying every insurance company takes that stand, but I specifically asked my agent, "If it doesn't cover self-defense firearm usage, what good is it to me?" He is a gunowner also. He agreed with me.

Moral of the story, talk to your agent, read the policy, ask the questions. Don't settle for an answer, get THE answer.

PS
    Don't buy insurance from non-gunowners. There are literally thousands of agents out there, get one you like and trust.

I had a similar policy when I was doing construction work. At that time it was called a personal liability policy. Certain company's required that I carry $1,000,000 in coverage to work on their property. When I first heard this I was shocked, but the cost of the policy was very low, somewhere around $100 a year. It covered me from anything but a deliberate criminal act. I asked if that included shooting someone at my home and was told then that yes that was covered. DR
    Gimme_Coffee and hdhnict like this.

There are two different issues here - the first is covering your legal expenses. There are a lot of companies that provide insurance to cover your legal expenses (legal expenses can cost quite a lot). These policies only pay the lawyers, though, not your liability.

The second is personal liability insurance. This covers you in case something happens (including, but not limited to shootings) and you lose a civil suit, and have to pay for things like medical expenses and pain and suffering. These damages can cost you a whole lot more than legal fees. Homeowners insurance often has a personal liability component to it, but it may not be enough, depending on the assets you have.

Distinguished Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The two big things I want from insurance is to bond my butt out of a big city jail the same night and to have a lawyer sit next to me during police questioning within 24 hours so I don't say anything stupid.

Take a look at CCW Safe. CCW Safe defends those who carry concealed against criminal, civil and administrative actions. They have comparison charts for the major outfits offering coverage. There are pros and cons to weigh.

Be sure to research the exclusions of some of the big name people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Take a look at CCW Safe. CCW Safe defends those who carry concealed against criminal, civil and administrative actions. They have comparison charts for the major outfits offering coverage. There are pros and cons to weigh.

Be sure to research the exclusions of some of the big name people.
    I just tried to contact CCWSafe with some questions and there was nobody available right now to answer my questions. I hope that means that they are too busy defending somebody. I wanted to ask how quickly they get you out on bail if you shoot some thug? I wouldn't want to spend time in the tank with his gang buddies. Also what happens if they fail to get me found not guilty am I still insured and represented? Or is that a legal technicality for them to drop me?

Insurance is the racket of our lifetime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links