One More Example of Why Teachers Should Be Armed

This is a discussion on One More Example of Why Teachers Should Be Armed within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this in an email this morning. Important text Good Morning, I would like to update you and your child regarding the safety concerns at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: One More Example of Why Teachers Should Be Armed

VIP Member

Got this in an email this morning.

Important text

Good Morning,

I would like to update you and your child regarding the safety concerns at Howard High School today, Friday, May 22, 2015. The Howard County Police and Howard County School Safety have deemed the present situation as a low level threat. To address concerns and to assure you that we regard school safety as a high priority HCPSS has arranged for a heightened police presence in and around our school. Our Administrative Team and our staff will be very visible and will be very sensitive to students’ concerns and stress level. The safety and well being of your children, our student, is our number one concern.

The purpose of the information that was sent out to you late yesterday was to ensure you that we were aware of the rumors and were taking steps to thoroughly investigate the reports. We interviewed and followed up on each report provided by students. Our security personnel were very visible and continually patrolled the school hallways, campus, and other school personnel checked restrooms. Late last night, Central Office informed us that the graffiti photos, which were all over social media, started at Atholton High School and went viral on Twitter. We found similar graffiti in one of our bathrooms late yesterday afternoon in a bathroom that was checked several times during the day and previously found to be clean with no graffiti.

In addition, particular to Howard High School, two other situations that were currently being investigated may or may not have been connected by students to the social media threats.

At the end of April we did have an upset student in anger talk about bringing a weapon into school. This particular incident was thoroughly investigated. Parents were involved and very cooperative. We believe that when students, via social media heard what was happening at Atholton High School and spread to Hammond High School, may have made connections and this past situation resurfaced. Yesterday, Thursday, May 21, 2015, we took the appropriate steps and investigated all reports. Again, we interviewed students and followed up on all reports. We met with parents.

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 two students were involved in a fight in our atrium. Both students were extremely upset and loud. One student was very verbal about doing harm to the other student when he returned to school. Both students involved have been disciplined, are not at school today, and are not a threat to the Howard High School students.

We realize that the safety of your child is your number one concern, and it is our number one concern.

Go Lions!

Dr. Gina Massella

Principal, Howard High School

Stove Jr has the Senior Breakfast and graduation practice today, thank God the school year is almost done.....

I want them to be armed for the day something happens without advanced notice..... In my town, we just recently went through a string of bomb threats and hit lists posted in bathroom stalls. First it was one school, then a copycat, then a school got evacuated a few days in a row. It spread to several schools in town until they arrested a handful of kids. It's scary stuff to think that the only things in place to stop an event are a few locked doors and prayer!

When are the law abiding citizens of this country going to stand up organize about, at least a million or more and occupy W D.C.
    And peacefully demand our rights and stay every one is granted back. I will volunteer to be first in line! No doubt! I agree with certain teachers being armed,after proper training! Praying for your child's safety Stoveman!
    CB
    gatorbait51, MrBC and Stoveman like this.

VIP Member
    I like the comment at the bottom " GO LIONS "

School is one place i am glad i do not have to deal with anymore i could write a book on the things the adults/administration did to my son and the kids were nice . Go Figure

Glad you are close to finished as well Stove .
    Stoveman and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Our Administrative Team and our staff will be very visible and will be very sensitive to students’ concerns and stress level. The safety and well being of your children, our student, is our number one concern.
    I love that quote. So the way I read this is that if there is an armed threat, the Administrative Team and staff will be running around the hallways unarmed and unable to do anything other than get in the way of LE.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I love that quote. So the way I read this is that if there is an armed threat, the Administrative Team and staff will be running around the hallways unarmed and unable to do anything other than get in the way of LE.
    First thing I thought of as well - our liberal, gun-hating, and utterly useless staff will hide in their offices or get shot like your children.

How comforting...
    Member Georgia Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagobill View Post
    When are the law abiding citizens of this country going to stand up organize about, at least a million or more and occupy W D.C.
    And peacefully demand our rights and stay every one is granted back. I will volunteer to be first in line! No doubt! I agree with certain teachers being armed,after proper training! Praying for your child's safety Stoveman!
    CB
    I think the bolded part is important. I know some who don't want to be armed and others who know teachers who do want to be armed, but the ones I know think it would be dangerous to arm them. Wow that was a convoluted sentence. I hope I got my point across. I believe personally that it ought to be left up to the principal or even someone else higher to decide which teachers should be armed. I think just arming every teacher could be a slippery slope...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEHSV View Post
    I think the bolded part is important. I know some who don't want to be armed and others who know teachers who do want to be armed, but the ones I know think it would be dangerous to arm them. Wow that was a convoluted sentence. I hope I got my point across. I believe personally that it ought to be left up to the principal or even someone else higher to decide which teachers should be armed. I think just arming every teacher could be a slippery slope...
    BamaMan, I agree but I think the top of the list should be former/retired LEO, veterans, members of DC.com, then those who express an interest and are willing to get the training.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    BamaMan, I agree but I think the top of the list should be former/retired LEO, veterans, members of DC.com, then those who express an interest and are willing to get the training.
    That sounds like a reasonable approach. I don't know how many teachers people on this board know, but a school full of the ones I do, armed and being in charge of kids, is not a pretty picture. It's not nearly the same as carrying for your own SD...

Quote Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
    It's scary stuff to think that the only things in place to stop an event are a few locked doors and prayer!
    Sorry, praying is not allowed in schools!
    Stoveman and gatorbait51 like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Was it Wayne LaPierre that first said teachers should be armed, or at least someone at school?
    He was ridiculed.
    He was right.

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    One More Example of Why Trained Teachers Should Have the OPTION to Be Armed
    There, fixed it for you.

One thing is certain, MANY teachers should not be armed. They don't like guns. They don't want guns. They can't be trusted to use a gun in a stressful situation. As such, they should not have guns.

If we are expecting the teachers to be armed guardians of our children, then they do not need just the overly simplistic CCW tests most states have. They need real and regularly updated firearms and deescalation training.
    gatorbait51 and Stoveman like this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

..and one more example in the long list why responsible parents should be home schooling.

We realize that the safety of your child is your number one concern, and it is our number one concern.
    Their #1 concern? In the public school system? umm ya; right..and I have swamp land in AZ going cheap.
    ccw9mm, Stoveman and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by 1OldDog2 View Post
    Was it Wayne LaPierre that first said teachers should be armed, or at least someone at school?
    He was ridiculed.
    He was right.
    Absolutely. If the state is going to take the people's money to run its school monopoly, then it sure has a RESPONSIBILITY to provide security for the kids in those schools. It should be legally required. If they have to hire guards, so be it. They don't seem to have a problem getting money to buy new electronic toys every five minutes, so I imagine funding to keep kids alive should sail right through.
    gatorbait51 and 1OldDog2 like this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

As a recently retired HS teacher, there is no way I'd want to carry in the classroom. The legal liability alone would be a strong deterrent. Add to that the possibility of collateral damage in a critical encounter, and it's a real nasty recipe for the well-intentioned armed teacher.

In my case, I always kept the classroom doors locked, and had three large dry chemical fire extinguishers immediately available for defensive purposes, if the need would ever arise.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links