Which home security systems do you employ?

This is a discussion on Which home security systems do you employ? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know a person can spend a small fortune (or a large one!) on home security, but I am trying to evaluate what's practical for ...

View Poll Results: Which home security features do you use in your home?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dog

51 52.04%
  • Fenced property with vehicle gate

19 19.39%
  • Deadbolts

70 71.43%
  • Steel doors

29 29.59%
  • Bars on windows/doors

5 5.10%
  • Security cameras

27 27.55%
  • Motion sensor outdoor lights

30 30.61%
  • Alarm system

44 44.90%
  • Security film on windows (anti-breakage)

7 7.14%
  • Safe room

6 6.12%
  • Moat with alligators

11 11.22%
  • Other?

13 13.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Which home security systems do you employ?

I know a person can spend a small fortune (or a large one!) on home security, but I am trying to evaluate what's practical for where we live. We employ an alarm system, solid doors, and dead bolts. Given that we have a fair amount of glass, I've considered the 3M film that protects windows, but there is nobody close by who installs it.

I am betting that most people on this forum take home security pretty seriously. So, I am curious how many of the home security defense systems listed in the poll do you have? This is a multi-answer poll so be sure to select ALL of the systems you use.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Since it is impossible to make your house impenetrable, my strategy is to make my neighbors' houses more appealing targets than mine.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

There's a 500 bed jail complex a mile from my house. When the inmates escape the first thing they do is try to find a change of clothes and transportation. Some of them walked off a work detail around lunchtime and broke into the next-door neighbor's house and stole clothes last year.

About five years ago 12 of them walked off. It turns out that they were all convicted murderers awaiting extradition. The jail didn't know that they were felons. ICE was renting beds from the local jail and failed to inform them that the people they were housing there were violent felons. Several of the bad guys were located in the Dominican Republic almost a year later.

We also have a problem with vagrants living in the woods near me. A lot of them have relatives staying at the jail. They like to break into neighborhood homes during the workday to supplement their welfare. They come into the yard and use my outside power outlets to charge their obamaphones and use my water faucets. Not really a big problem, but they tend to leave the water running and steal anything that's not tied down.

Because of these issues, I've gradually increased my level of security. One guy tried to break in at midnight a few years ago even though he knew we were home. He met my dog and changed his plan.

Another guy tried to kick in the back door at about 9:00 p.m. when my wife and kids were home and I was out of town. He set the alarm off and left without getting in.

I've got an alarm, five dogs, reinforced doors, video cameras, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Rhinoman
    Since you live in Florida, I presume you are the guy with the alligators?
    bill35738 and DownInTheDark like this.
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

Dog, metal door skins over existing hard wood jambs, solid oak door, long throw deadbolt, ornamental burglar bars in the rear, security film on front windows, 3 exterior cameras 1 obvious / 2 obscured, monitored security system, dusk til dawn solar flood lighting, green/white strobe mounted to brick mailbox which flashes when alarm is triggered. There is always a car in the driveway and I am home most of the time. When I am gone I usually leave the outdoor speakers playing local talk radio
    G26Raven, Rockymonster and AzQkr like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Dog, metal door skins over existing hard wood jambs, solid oak door, long throw deadbolt, ornamental burglar bars in the rear, security film on front windows, 3 exterior cameras 1 obvious / 2 obscured, monitored security system, dusk til dawn solar flood lighting, green/white strobe mounted to brick mailbox which flashes when alarm is triggered. There is always a car in the driveway and I am home most of the time. When I am gone I usually leave the outdoor speakers playing local talk radio
    Now that's what I call some serious security!
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Now that's what I call some serious security!
    I feel its pretty decent and it was not something that happened over night. I have tackled one issue per year and finally got to a point that I considered "complete" this time last year. I live rural and people have a hard time finding our place. My last addition was to add the strobe to our roadside mail box. I turn it on sometimes for the pizza man as well. Best part of my security plan are the Dogs.. I consider them as something I cannot do without.
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Monitored alarm system
    steel doors
    doggie
    strategic outdoor and indoor lighting
    video door bell
    safe room
    firearms
    more firearms
    and yet a few more firearms
    Fizban and G26Raven like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Monitored alarm system
    steel doors
    doggie
    strategic outdoor and indoor lighting
    video door bell
    safe room
    firearms
    more firearms
    and yet a few more firearms
    But do you have enough firearms? It doesn't sound like it to me...
    Rockymonster likes this.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    But do you have enough firearms? It doesn't sound like it to me...
    I know....I felt the same way today so I got a new Springfield 9MM today...just in case.
    G26Raven and Rockymonster like this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

I don't want to add a note of levity to the discussion, but one of our home security systems was the little dog in my avatar. She was the perfect storm of noise at night and had radar-like senses. She always slept with us and was a part of the family. She was at my side for a great many years. We lost her just over a year ago. I envy you guys who have pups.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't want to add a note of levity to the discussion, but one of our home security systems was the little dog in my avatar. She was the perfect storm of noise at night and had radar-like senses. She always slept with us and was a part of the family. She was at my side for a great many years. We lost her just over a year ago. I envy you guys who have pups.
    Sorry for your loss.....I have had the same traumatic event. But I got past it and got my buddy Cooper now.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Pups are great. If my wife and I weren't out as much as we are, we would own one, too.
    OldChap likes this.
    NRA Member

I have a creek behind my house that has a lot of water moccassins and and occasional alligator. (2) active Sheriff's deputies live across the street and some extremely nosy retired neighbors on either side of me. We have a 25 lb Boston Terrier that fears nothing and only barks at strangers. We also live in a fairly safe area with excellent Police response. So far our "security system" seems to work very well!
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Monitored alarm, cameras, video doorbell, and Early Warning/Attack Cat.....
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links