Hardening your Home? - Page 4

Hardening your Home?

This is a discussion on Hardening your Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cdwolf I would bet I could open 95% of the locks on my street. Just because you have a deadbolt, don't think ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hardening your Home?

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I would bet I could open 95% of the locks on my street.
    Just because you have a deadbolt, don't think they don't have a key.
    Kwikset just came out with a new lock that has bumpguard and I would recommend that everyone know what type of lock you have.
    I have done this with 5 of the most popular brands, so I can say it is soooo simple.
    LOCK UP!

YouTube - Bump Key HOWTO

Kind of re birthing an older thread, but thats some scary stuff. But I see some potential for this. Thinking about several opportunities I've had to breech doors to make entry to say a stroke pt or seizure pt

Actually heard a story of a EMS crew on scene of a patient who called 911 and tried to make it to her front door to unlock it, she only made it far enough to be right in the path of the door. Several people on scene wanted to make forced entry but didn't. The land lord made it with a key, that choice probably saved her from massive head trauma from a door hitting it.

Off subject but being able to bypass a lock that easy is scary stuff, glad I know now about that

I will as soon as I hit the Powerball tonight!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Questions about fire safety

I decided that I needed to sign up to this forum to ask an important question about home security. This is my first post! Yea!

My question to the guy who stated that he keeps a double deadbolt lock (requiring a key from the inside). I have recently dealt with this with an elderly neighbor friend who is concerned about home break-ins. As I can appreciate her zest for this (all her windows have security bars, carport has a gate, all doors have a security screen door with inside/outside locking deadbolts), I have helped her to install "thumb-turn" deadbolts on her security-screened, security doors, and am trying to persuade her into getting quick release "burglar-bar" windows.

Many people don't realize that YOU and your family getting out of your home may be just as important as keeping unwanteds from getting in. Fire departments from all across the USA have many statistics about people who die in fires every year due to not being able to get out of burning/smoke filled rooms due to security devices such as window bars and security doors.

Nearly every reputable company who offers these products has a secure quick release system. Some cities actually require them as part of fire code. Keep secure from the outside in, but also have a secure way to get out (this could also be important in a tactical way for YOU without a fire happening as well. There could be circumstances that you may need to get out of your home for other reasons).
    Remember this: just because you may have a hidden key to get out of that security screen door does not mean that you will find it during a fire panic, break it off in the lock, be able to get to it, or even find or use it in heavy smoke. I'm just providing this as food for thought.

On a another note, I just read where my Home Depot locks might not be cutting it. As I'm not a locksmith, I have never heard of "bumping". It turns out that nearly any deadbolt can be "bumped" in a matter of minutes by a good thief. Here is a link about this (turns out this is not something new) . The Lockdown: Locked, but not secure (Part I)

Red face

Ach. I started another thread (Hardening your home) just a few days ago, having completely missed this one here. Apologies to all.

Quote Originally Posted by ariz88402 View Post
    Many people don't realize that YOU and your family getting out of your home may be just as important as keeping unwanteds from getting in.
    A very important point. Can't be saving what you can't eject, if needed. And that includes ourselves, in case of fire or the BG's getting the upper hand and folks needing to skedaddle.

Am in the process, myself, of researching screened steel doors/frames, as well as easy-out barred windows.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ariz88402 View Post

On a another note, I just read where my Home Depot locks might not be cutting it. As I'm not a locksmith, I have never heard of "bumping". It turns out that nearly any deadbolt can be "bumped" in a matter of minutes by a good thief. Here is a link about this (turns out this is not something new) . The Lockdown: Locked, but not secure (Part I)
    There is a new lock from Kwikset that Home Depot sells which can't be bumped. They are the new Smart Key with Bump Guard.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Medeco locks always help.

A tire wall would be ugly, but if you had the money, you could wrap it in wire and stucco it and make it look presentable... I don't know the cost, you might as easily have a block wall grouted solid?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Keyed deadbolts, reinforced door jams, good security system and motion lights all around the house. A dog helps - any size with good hearing and a bark.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Cheap ideas viable for people living on rental property:

3M Security Window Film

Line up your main walls (the ones facing the streets) with about 16-20"of book material in milk crates. Go about 3' high (enoughf for you to duck and crawl to cover towards the back of the house). Info on paper penetration by caliber.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

I looked at the ShatterGuard (or whatever stuff) and it is fairly expensive. Also, to really get the protection, it should be bonded to the FRAME of the window, and that is even more work/expense.

We have added a layer of plywood on certain doors, and used 4" brass screws for all hinges and strikes. Dead bolts, sure.

But the windows remain the issue. We have tons of them at ground level, and enough at reachable level using garden stuff. On one hand, for a general burglary, we DO have 5 dogs, so we will know when ANYONE touches the property. So I sometimes think that the SHTF scenario would be handled by fitted plywood inside "shutters" that we could bolt up from the inside. This would block sight - very important - and provide intrusion protection. Storage of the panels would be a pain, but we should have plenty of time to set them if the SHTF. Armed with peepholes and even rifle slots, they could be a great hardener for the house. This would include the stupid doors that all have glass in them, also.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links