Hardening your Home?

Hardening your Home?

This is a discussion on Hardening your Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello to all! Have any of you 'hardened your home' physically past installing sturdy locks & doors? I suspect many have, and am curious as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardening your Home?

Hardening your Home?

Hello to all!

Have any of you 'hardened your home' physically past installing sturdy locks & doors? I suspect many have, and am curious as to what you did.

For example, anyone with shatter-resistant windows? Bullet-resistant walls? Steel doors? Feel free to post what you have.

NOTE - I am only asking about PHYSICAL barriers here, so alarms / cameras / lights / intercoms do not count.

Thanks in advance!

Our home is only 4 years old. The only security thing we did was to install dead bolt locks on all doors...needing a key to exit (if locked).
    Just another item to slow down amateurs...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No just alarm system, motion lights, 3 Dogs, and Rem 870, XD 45 on standby. I would like to make a underground safe room, but I have a craw-space house. Any ideas for a safe room for both weather & BG's?

R/S Lego

I haven't but I think if anybody has it would be along the lines of a "SAFE" room instead of the whole house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I used longer screws (simple, but extremely effective), installed a grade 1 lock, installed a chain lock, installed a peephole, increased lighting at entryways, and finally, installed a simple magnetic sounding alarm when triggered (for less than $15, I love them --- they are LOUD)

Would all of this keep out a determined attacker? Nope, there is a large window in my living room (which can not be opened, but broken, yes)... Buuuut, if a person decides to go through the door, I am more prepared than many.

Two dogs, and whatever weapon I have on me. :)

Also, just to add, I'd gladly do some more permanent improvements, but I rent at the moment, and it simply wouldn't be cost effective in my opinion.
    Beretta 92FS

I will be following this thread with interest my bad neighbor made bail this morning after burning my other neighbors house down.

I have been looking at shattergaurd real hard but i have a hard time believing the videos i need to get some and do my own tests.

also i have installed long screws in all door hinges and strikers and i am in the process of installing deadbolts. any one have a good recomendation for locks?

The windows are my week link but i just want enough warning to wake me up good i dont want to trap my family in a jail?

But for hardening the walls and stuff would a fence built out of 16 inch truck tires packed full of dirt make a bullet proof fence for most handguns and basic rifles?

Senior Moderator
    I installed new exterior locks when I moved in, and replaced one set of hinges.

My house is over 100 years old and has solid hard wood doors
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Yeah, it seems that most times the windows are the weak link. We think of making the doors stronger, etc., but the windows remain as breakable as ever they were. This is why I'm interested in ShatterGuard - feel free to check out my thread on it.

halfcrazy - Good to see another Mainer! I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff so I'm not too sure about the truck tire idea...would it be a perimeter wall around the outside? If so, couldn't someone just tear it down?

oh yes they could but i was thinking of building a fence along the property line with the bad neighbor i was thinking the tires pounded full of dirt then stockade panels screwed to the tires on my side.

Ok now I get it - something to stop errant bullets flying from their property in your direction. Sounds good.

I will be following this thread with iI am glad to see this posting. Thinking that I will be going with longer screws in all the exterior doors of my 1897 home.

By the way halfcrazy - do you have a solar barbie jeep?
    NRA Member

16+ inches of contained sand will stop most bullets. If you want to be sure, get a few milk jugs and fill them with sand, line them up and shoot them with a 7mm mag or a 300WSM. Use FMJ bullets or steel core surplus ammo for greater penetrating power and be surprised at how well sand (dirt) works at stopping the bullet.

The weak spot in your "armor" would be where the tires rest on each other.

My question is where are you going to get that many tires.

By my estimation, you would need about 550 tires to make a 80 foot long x 6 foot high wall and it would be UGLY. Ugly would most likely give your neighbor a code enforcement reason to have the municipality force you to remove it.

A better wall would be a double 4" thick monolithic slab (reinforced concrete) wall. Build a 2 foot deep flaired footer of cement with the monolitic poured walls 10 inches (interior dimensions) apart. Every 10' or so have the slab be completely solid for added stability. After the slabs cure, remove the forms and fill with 1/2 to 3/4" granite chips, tamp at 6" intervals. Once completely full, seal by bonding a cement cap or flagstone to the top.

This will stop almost any round. (no not 50BMG). 4 inches of reinforced cement - 10 inches of hard gravel - 4 more inches of reinforced cement

if you really want to make it strong, in addition to metal reinforcing the cement, use the cement with the fiberglass micro reinforcing rods in the mix.

But all of that is WAY too much work for a nutso neighbor. I'd move before I did all that.

However when I do build my next house, I plan on using the monolithic cement building technique (minus the gravel) for all external walls. They have foam based systems that provide the form and the insulation. 6" of reinforced cement provides amazing protection, besides the windows are the real weak point. Mylar lamination for them.

someone's ideas on the subject.

http://www.berzerker.net/jonboon/fre...ulletproof.pdf

Thanks a lot for that link, Precision. Very interesting info.

Quote Originally Posted by G23NH View Post
    By the way halfcrazy - do you have a solar barbie jeep?
    nope my 4 year old does

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    16+ inches of contained sand will stop most bullets. If you want to be sure, get a few milk jugs and fill them with sand, line them up and shoot them with a 7mm mag or a 300WSM. Use FMJ bullets or steel core surplus ammo for greater penetrating power and be surprised at how well sand (dirt) works at stopping the bullet.

The weak spot in your "armor" would be where the tires rest on each other.

My question is where are you going to get that many tires.

By my estimation, you would need about 550 tires to make a 80 foot long x 6 foot high wall and it would be UGLY. Ugly would most likely give your neighbor a code enforcement reason to have the municipality force you to remove it.

A better wall would be a double 4" thick monolithic slab (reinforced concrete) wall. Build a 2 foot deep flaired footer of cement with the monolitic poured walls 10 inches (interior dimensions) apart. Every 10' or so have the slab be completely solid for added stability. After the slabs cure, remove the forms and fill with 1/2 to 3/4" granite chips, tamp at 6" intervals. Once completely full, seal by bonding a cement cap or flagstone to the top.

This will stop almost any round. (no not 50BMG). 4 inches of reinforced cement - 10 inches of hard gravel - 4 more inches of reinforced cement

if you really want to make it strong, in addition to metal reinforcing the cement, use the cement with the fiberglass micro reinforcing rods in the mix.

But all of that is WAY too much work for a nutso neighbor. I'd move before I did all that.

However when I do build my next house, I plan on using the monolithic cement building technique (minus the gravel) for all external walls. They have foam based systems that provide the form and the insulation. 6" of reinforced cement provides amazing protection, besides the windows are the real weak point. Mylar lamination for them.

someone's ideas on the subject.

http://www.berzerker.net/jonboon/fre...ulletproof.pdf
    yep i have about a 30-40ft stretch where m house lines up with with his yard if that makes any sense i was going to stack the tires and screw stockade fence to my side and if he complained do the same to his side but they just arrested him again for posesion of explosives so i presume he will be gone for a while

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links