Home Defense... what would you do??

This is a discussion on Home Defense... what would you do?? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two young kids. Presently, I only have the capability of keeping one loaded firearm in a quick release gun safe mounted in the ...

Thread: Home Defense... what would you do??

I have two young kids. Presently, I only have the capability of keeping one loaded firearm in a quick release gun safe mounted in the master bedroom. I intend to add another on the opposite side of house soon. In the meantime I must decide which gun to keep in the safe. I have the option of either:

1.) A Ruger P89 9mm with 15+1 rounds of 147 grain Hydr-Shok.

2.) A Caspian Arms custom .45 with 7+1 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP.

I like the idea of both. One gives me the greater power of a .45 with a limited amount shots, while the other gives me good power with twice the shots. I would hope I wouldn't ever need more than 8 shots, but one never knows. I am leaning towards the .45 due to the power. However, also like like the idea (that in the middle of the night, under duress, in the real world when you scared s...less because someone is in your home with your wife and kids regardless of all your training) that if I start blazing away with the 9mm I've got a little more leeway if I get overly trigger anxious. On top of that there is a very slight safety advantage in the 9mm vs. the .45 for wall penetration which I must also try to remain aware of during the stressful encounter.

Thoughts?

Thought 1; where's your flashlight?

Thought 2; Which is more reliable? Has been tested?

and 3; does your S/O have access/training which does she prefer? and have you discussed this?

Home defense scenarios are complicated.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Thought 1; where's your flashlight?

Thought 2; Which is more reliable? Has been tested?

and 3; does your S/O have access/training which does she prefer? and have you discussed this?

Home defense scenarios are complicated.
    I guess I took providing that information as a given for most of us. All of these have been addressed. Flashlight, by bed. Both guns have been more than tested. Spouse knows the drill. I was simply asking what someone else would prefer under the same scenario and realize that it is a very subjective question.

BAC
    Which one do you shoot better? Which are you more confident you can make fight ending hits with if you have to use them?

The vast majority of my handgun experience is on a 1911. I realize 8+1 isn't much, but I'm more confident I can hit with that 8+1 than I am a Glock 17's 17+1. Ideally, if lack of training wasn't an obstacle, I'd go with the higher-volume 9mm. The difference in terminal ballistics between heavy 9mm and .45 ACP isn't much, and you might find there are more than 8+1 rounds worth of bad guy(s) to fight. I keenly recall a member here having a shootout with a home invader wherein he used all but maybe one round out of a higher capacity magazine (I want to say a Glock, but I don't truly remember).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    More shots means more chances to hit CNS. A CNS hit from either caliber will in all likelihood stop an attacker.

Either way, you should have some spare loaded mags in there too.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I swapped out my .45 for a 9 recently. Why? More ammo, less recoil, it's a glock so no safety to fool with in the dark. I'm also more accurate and now comfortable with the 9. I'm not too worried about the power. Sounds like your 9 carries twice the ammo so does that not equal twice the power? One shot stops are highly overrated, I want multiple chances. The more the better. my .02

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Which one do you shoot better? Which are you more confident you can make fight ending hits with if you have to use them?

-B
    I'd add, "in low light conditions."

Either have night sights? Laser sights?

Which can you point shoot best?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

You could keep spare mags out without the kids getting hurt theirfore I'd go with .45 & practice reload over & over ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The .45, extra mags, and a good SureFire...all one needs for a safer night's sleep...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How old are your kids?

Take your kids out shooting. Talk to them about guns often. Tell them the dangers. Let them handle them under your direct supervision, even shoot them if they are ready. If they learn to respect them, your golden.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    How about a 10 round mag for the .45, since concealment isn't a factor?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Really, I'd say that, all things being equal, either will do you well. You understand the advantages of each; really, it'll come down to which you feel better with. As I see it, there would be no wrong decision.

The only thing I might add is--do you shoot one of them better one-handed? Your other hand may be holding the flashlight, or occupied with something/somebody else...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    First choice for a HD weapon should be a good tactical shotgun. Better choice that a handgun 99% of the time. Other than that I'd go with the gun you have the most confidence in your ability with.

1. Which gun are you more proficient with?

2. Has either gun ever experienced jamming issues at the gun range?

3. Number two would be my deciding factor.

9mm has NEVER jammed. End of Thread.

Sponsored Links