Defensive Carry banner

Home Defense... what would you do??

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  GoldenSaber 
#1 ·
I have two young kids. Presently, I only have the capability of keeping one loaded firearm in a quick release gun safe mounted in the master bedroom. I intend to add another on the opposite side of house soon. In the meantime I must decide which gun to keep in the safe. I have the option of either:

1.) A Ruger P89 9mm with 15+1 rounds of 147 grain Hydr-Shok.

2.) A Caspian Arms custom .45 with 7+1 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP.

I like the idea of both. One gives me the greater power of a .45 with a limited amount shots, while the other gives me good power with twice the shots. I would hope I wouldn't ever need more than 8 shots, but one never knows. I am leaning towards the .45 due to the power. However, also like like the idea (that in the middle of the night, under duress, in the real world when you scared s...less because someone is in your home with your wife and kids regardless of all your training) that if I start blazing away with the 9mm I've got a little more leeway if I get overly trigger anxious. On top of that there is a very slight safety advantage in the 9mm vs. the .45 for wall penetration which I must also try to remain aware of during the stressful encounter.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Thought 1; where's your flashlight?

Thought 2; Which is more reliable? Has been tested?

and 3; does your S/O have access/training which does she prefer? and have you discussed this?

Home defense scenarios are complicated.

#3 ·
I guess I took providing that information as a given for most of us. All of these have been addressed. Flashlight, by bed. Both guns have been more than tested. Spouse knows the drill. I was simply asking what someone else would prefer under the same scenario and realize that it is a very subjective question.

#4 ·
Which one do you shoot better? Which are you more confident you can make fight ending hits with if you have to use them?

The vast majority of my handgun experience is on a 1911. I realize 8+1 isn't much, but I'm more confident I can hit with that 8+1 than I am a Glock 17's 17+1. Ideally, if lack of training wasn't an obstacle, I'd go with the higher-volume 9mm. The difference in terminal ballistics between heavy 9mm and .45 ACP isn't much, and you might find there are more than 8+1 rounds worth of bad guy(s) to fight. I keenly recall a member here having a shootout with a home invader wherein he used all but maybe one round out of a higher capacity magazine (I want to say a Glock, but I don't truly remember).

-B

#7 ·
Which one do you shoot better? Which are you more confident you can make fight ending hits with if you have to use them?

-B
I'd add, "in low light conditions."

Either have night sights? Laser sights?

Which can you point shoot best?

#5 ·
More shots means more chances to hit CNS. A CNS hit from either caliber will in all likelihood stop an attacker.

Either way, you should have some spare loaded mags in there too.

#6 ·
I swapped out my .45 for a 9 recently. Why? More ammo, less recoil, it's a glock so no safety to fool with in the dark. I'm also more accurate and now comfortable with the 9. I'm not too worried about the power. Sounds like your 9 carries twice the ammo so does that not equal twice the power? :smile: One shot stops are highly overrated, I want multiple chances. The more the better. my .02

#9 ·
The .45, extra mags, and a good SureFire...all one needs for a safer night's sleep...IMHO:yup:

#12 ·
Really, I'd say that, all things being equal, either will do you well. You understand the advantages of each; really, it'll come down to which you feel better with. As I see it, there would be no wrong decision.

The only thing I might add is--do you shoot one of them better one-handed? Your other hand may be holding the flashlight, or occupied with something/somebody else...

#13 ·
First choice for a HD weapon should be a good tactical shotgun. Better choice that a handgun 99% of the time. Other than that I'd go with the gun you have the most confidence in your ability with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.