Is It Wise To Carry At Home? - Page 3

Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

This is a discussion on Is It Wise To Carry At Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I am out...my weapon is in my purse. If I am home my weapon is next to my cross stitch. If I am working ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

If I am out...my weapon is in my purse. If I am home my weapon is next to my cross stitch. If I am working outside or in the back of the house or the basement...I have a fanny pack that holds my weapon and my phone. One never knows when self defense will be necessary and I will NOT be found wanting.

One time while working on my cross stitch (which is always next to me in the living room) while watching TV I had a knock at the door. No one was expected. I picked up my cross stitch...which is on a hoop...with my weapon under it. There was a Highway Patrol at the door to ask about a neighbor. I put the cross stitch down with the weapon and talked with him. He never knew I had a weapon in my hand. This works well for me. A guy may wish to use a magazine or newspaper....unless he is really secure in his masculinity.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Should I make my children wear their set belts?

My neighborhood is a pretty safe place to drive. I've lived here for 11+ years and have never seen an accident within 3 blocks. My wife thinks I'm paranoid for always buckling my children in the car even if we're just going a few blocks to the closest grocery store.

Ok, it's not a perfect analogy (in UT it's the law to buckle up), but you get the idea. Odds are you aren't going to be in an accident, although it's probably more likely than a home invasion. But I have kids, and the reason I have a handgun is to protect them. I almost always carry at home, especially after dark.

But to each his own.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Absolutely you should carry at home, mowing the lawn and anything else you do. The thing about threats is you never know when its gonna happen and it could mean life or death for you and your family as to whether you are carrying or not!
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by manithree View Post
    My neighborhood is a pretty safe place to drive. I've lived here for 11+ years and have never seen an accident within 3 blocks. My wife thinks I'm paranoid for always buckling my children in the car even if we're just going a few blocks to the closest grocery store.

Ok, it's not a perfect analogy (in UT it's the law to buckle up), but you get the idea. Odds are you aren't going to be in an accident, although it's probably more likely than a home invasion. But I have kids, and the reason I have a handgun is to protect them. I almost always carry at home, especially after dark.

But to each his own.
    Automobile accidents are the primary cause of death for most demographics under age 50. Home invasion murders are hard to get statistics on because they aren't typically distinguished from firearm murders most of which are drug or family related. But based on the stats I *have* been able to look at I get the idea it would not make the top 100 causes of death for children.

Carry at home!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    That some equate paranoia to having a pistol in their pocket is hard for me to understand.

I have a P3AT because I can carry it all the time without thinking about it. It just doesn't enter my mind. It is very similar to the billfold, comb and keys. It is just part of the kit. I don't have any plans to use it for home defense because that task is assigned to a .45 and some shotguns that are loaded with buck and slug and handy to the places where we spend most of our time.

However, if I am puttering around or working on a car or out in the woods, the contents of my pockets are with me. I am totally relaxed at home with my pistol in my pocket.

We are 100 miles from any big city. The violent crime rate is very low. However, from time to time the traveling criminal element will visit our town for a little crime spree. I don't think about that, but I do know it happens. So if it happens at our little house in the woods in the next ten or twenty years, chances are I will have a shotgun in my hand. If not, it is a sure thing I will have a pistol in my pocket.

The funny thing about crime.....

If I am not asleep or in the shower, I am armed. The funny thing about crime is the bad guys get to choose the time and the place, the only thing we can do is react to a specific scenario that is playing out around us. The only choices we get to make is whether or not we are prepared to defend ourselves and our loved ones. I like to think that I am!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I only carry in my home when my wife is NOT home. She is anti-gun and wont allow me to carry, she feels she is totally safe. We made an agreement that says she wont say anthing any other time, so long as I have it off when we are at home lounging around. Okay, so I take it off. But its never more than 3 or so seconds away from me. I actually hand carry my gun without the holster from room to room. (And yes, its sitting right in front of the moniter right now!)

I live in a safe city in Colorado, but looking at the crime maps of my city, there are quite a few residential burglaries. Two weeks ago a house down the street from me got burglarized. I'm at day 69 into my 90 day waiting period, but I do carry around my house, because our castle law allows me to.

Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    I could argue that it's better to be prepared then sorry. But wouldn't that be more paranoid than a given situation warrants?
    How would you know what the situation tomorrow will warrant? How will you even know it's tomorrow?

I mean, there haven't been any break-ins in our neighborhood. The crime rate is pretty low actually.
    That a batch of regional criminals hasn't yet realized there's good stuff and "sleeping" neighbors in your area doesn't imply that soon those same criminals won't have an epiphany and realize what a sweet, juicy little opportunity your neighborhood represents.

And there is the law of probability.
    More applicable is the fact that criminals learn, they're open to good opportunities, and there are more criminals coming to give it some thought. It's not quite the same as a "shell game" where probabilities work out so cleanly.

I guess my question is, where is the line in the sand?
    Who's to say? Decide on where your lifestyle's comfort level is, what stock you place in inapplicable "shell game" style probabilities, and how quickly you'd be able to acquire the means to defend against crime if it did come knocking one day. Decide from there. Each of us must come to our own decisions, as we don't wake up to your face in our mirrors.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Great advice guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who carries at home.

i'm still waiting for my permit to come in like many of you others out there. i just bought a glock 19 (i haven't ordered a holster yet but i'm going to soon). my wife doesn't like looking at it lying around on the tables or living room or wherever i'm at so i've just been leaving it in the case it came in and am carrying the case around the house with me and just setting it down next to me. i've been taking it with me in the car and just locking it in the car when i'm out of it. i'm starting to wear her down though. the other day i had one of the guns out showing her how to use the trigger lock (the glock i keep with me so it is never locked but the other guns i keep locked from the kids) and she actually said she needed to go learn how to shot them (even the shot guns) in case i wasn't with her. i live out in the middle of the country with 7 dogs that will bark at everything and will attack but most of the times they're just out there chasing rabbits or something so i can't tell if someone is out there or not.

out where we are they are putting in a lot of those gas wells (nothing against the guys working on the gas wells) and there is whole bunch of new people driving around our area. i know most of them are just hard working guys just trying to make a living like everyone else but all it takes is one or two of them to notice your house out there all by it's self while they're out working and tell the wrong person or be the wrong person themselves.

I carry everywhere I legally can especially at home and at night I have my 1911 on the night table and my 12 gauge against the wall
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You could apply the same logic to carrying at all. The law of probability would put the chances of you ever needing your gun to protect life and limb at a very small number. However, you have a gun and a permit anyway...

The chances that my wife will be brutally raped and/or murdered are pretty darn low. But I'm going to do everything I possibly can to lower that probability even more.

The chances that I will be attacked at all are pretty darn low, but if I am, it will most likely be at a time when I think I'm safe. It is better to be armed and ready than to wish you had your gun when you didn't.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    I haven't been carrying for all that long so I was only carrying at home after work. I would come in, kiss the little lady. Walk in to the bedroom and then strap on a gun. I wouldn't tell my wife I was carrying because if she didn't notice it was pretty clear to me that a stranger from a distance probably wouldn't be able to tell either. So, I guess it was more for practice I think. But now that I have a few months under my belt I began asking myself, "I understand the need for carrying out in town, but here at home?"
    Life where I live is pretty mundane and homey. I began to ask myself if there was a real threat of a home invasion here? Should I continue wearing a gun now that I'm more sure of myself and carrying concealed?
    I believe in being prepared, and having some punk break in my door like you see in those silly TV commercials for electronic monitoring. In a situation like that it makes sense to carry at home. But let's face it, that's TV!
    I could argue that it's better to be prepared then sorry. But wouldn't that be more paranoid than a given situation warrants?
    I mean, there haven't been any break-ins in our neighborhood. The crime rate is pretty low actually. And there is the law of probability. The more times you use a hammer the more likely you'll mash your finger. And with a loaded gun the results could be very traumatic!
    I guess my question is, where is the line in the sand?
    I was stationed in Charleston while in the Navy. We live in Ladson, right down 78 from you from 1990 to 1994. Ladson was a pretty safe place too. But, there was a home invasion in our neighborhood one night. Completely out of the blue.

I remember Summerville being a very nice little town. We shopped at the Walmart super center there. I can only guess that in the intervening years that things may have changed somewhat. Crime can happen anywhere at any time.

We live in the single safest town in Shelby County Tennessee. Crime is almost non-existent in Arlington. But, I still carry when at home because, in the event that something does happen, a gun "just in the next room" may as well be a mile away when someone is kicking in the door or climbing in a broken window. Things happen fast and having a small frame 9mm on my hip is not much of a hassle.

Better safe than sorry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links