Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

This is a discussion on Is It Wise To Carry At Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Upper middle class "safe", "low crime" neighborhood in Cheshire, Connecticut. A prominent doctor was badly beaten, his wife and two daughters were brutally murdered, their ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

Upper middle class "safe", "low crime" neighborhood in Cheshire, Connecticut.

A prominent doctor was badly beaten, his wife and two daughters were brutally murdered, their home burned and one of their motor vehicles was wrecked---by two individuals who had never been charged with anything more serious than burglary and drug use.

YouTube - Cheshire homicide press conference, July 23, 2007

"It can't happen here" is a foolish notion. Those who are prepared have a significantly higher chance of survival.

A concealed firearm is like catastrophic health insurance. You may never need it, but if you do, you'll be bloody thankful you have it.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I have my AR behind my sofa where we watch TV and my wife takes her Khar 40cal to the living room where she watches TV. When I go to bed I transfer my AR to the bedroom and place it on 2 hooks behind my head board for very fast access to my AR with one chambered at all times safety on.

I DO NOT HAVE KIDS. When children come to my house I sanitize the firepower so to say and lock it in my safe. I also sleep with my 1911 next to my headboard but down on the floor tucked right under my matress but on the floor hidden.

I sometimes will carry when my wife is not home simply because I cant cover as much house plus she is armed as well with an extra mag with her.

This is not my doing but shes hardcore about home defense.

When we have children it will be new tecniques but non the less I will teach my kids massive amounts of gun safety and I will even do the 45 vs watermelon lesson to teach them how the human body will explode from being shot with one.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I live in a pretty rural area in a small development down a dirt road. I was on my tractor cutting grass and made a loop around and there standing in my yard was two of the roughest looking guys I've seen in a long time. I had no idea they had walked up on me. I'm a pretty big guy and stopped the tractor got off and opened the tool box. I found the biggest wrench I could in that box and stood by the tractor. They looked at me...looked at each other and turned and left. I have not a clue what they wanted......but they didn't want that wrench.

Two years later on a Friday night at 6 pm 5 houses up the street there was a home invasion and robbery.....in the country....well...I've carried at home ever since.....all the time.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

I always carry when I'm not sleeping. There is no way of really knowing when you may need you firearm. I normally carry my G26 in either a OWB/shoulder holster while I'm in the apartment.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I carry everywhere I want to make sure my family and I are safe, that includes the house. (So far I haven't been able to teach the dogs to attack at 900 fps) Otherwise, my gun is within easy reach, like when I'm in bed or something.

On a weird note, I jokingly mentioned that obviously I don't carry in the shower though, and the person I told gave me a deadpan look and rather seriously said "you can shower with a Sig, it won't hurt the gun." Ummmm, ok...that's pretty much where I draw the line.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I would recommend a good pocket pistol for carry at home. That's what I do all the time. I have the Ruger LCP in a Blackhawk 1 pocket holster. Nobody knows it's there, and if something was to happen, I feel confident it will buy me enough time to get to one of my home defense weapons.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Never leave bed with out it!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I carry at home simply for the fact that my entry doors are on the main floor, and my weapon storage is on the floor above. If anyone ever entered the home before I could get to my weapon storage area I'd be screwed. So I carry the pistol on my hip as often as I can in order to be prepared.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Personally, I disarm in the house but keep a weapon close at hand. I suppose I trust my kenpo training in close at home, though of course that is not foolproof. The HD shotgun is never far away though.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

If you have children whom you don't want to have access to a firearm in a ready condition, carrying is the best way to both have an immediate means of defense while keeping that firearm out of the hands of unauthorized people.

Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    100% of all home invasions happen at home.
    There's your answer.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

How many times have you heard this?

"I didn't think something like this could happen here"

"I didn't think it could happen to me"

"It happened so fast"

In 10 seconds a BG could kick your door in, unload a 17 round mag, reload and do it again.

Yeah and a 747 could crash into your house. Going to build a 40 foot bunker?

I carry at home for several reasons. First, as previous posts have said, home invasions happen at home. Second, it's easier if I have to go somewhere to already be armed. Third, and in some ways most importantly, I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 13. While both have been raised around firearms, many of their friends have not. If I'm carrying, the only gun in my house not secured in my gun safe is under my direct control.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    100% of all home invasions happen at home.
    thats funny!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links