Is It Wise To Carry At Home? - Page 5

Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

This is a discussion on Is It Wise To Carry At Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [QUOTE=nutz4utwo;1287090] It takes only a 10 seconds to open a safe and access all the "toys" QUOTE] Do you really know how long 10 seconds ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

[QUOTE=nutz4utwo;1287090]
    It takes only a 10 seconds to open a safe and access all the "toys"
    QUOTE]

Do you really know how long 10 seconds is?

It has been proven over and over that a man with a knife can travel around 21 feet in 1.5 seconds.

The drill:

Set/stand in the living room. Have a male friend simulate breaking through your door. When you hear the noise start toward your safe and see if you can get it open before he gets you.

If you start like you were watching TV then go you normal route to the safe don't be moving furniture around to bias the test. (it's ok to move the furniture after the test to improve things)

Of course the shock of "It can't be happening to me" won't be there and you will already be geared up to run toward the safe. This will cut 2-3 seconds off the 10 seconds as the reaction time and threat recognition doesn’t have to kick in.

As you are already in condition ORANGE

There will not be the startling "What was that noise"

Try it and let us know how you faired.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is always valuable to read what everyone posts... many thanks.

I worry that many members are dependent on their pistol to feel safe....

Staying safe is really about managing risk and responding to situations as best as possible.

One of these days, when I have some time there are some questions I wiil raise in a thread of it's own...

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post

It has been proven over and over that a man with a knife can travel around 21 feet in 1.5 seconds.

The drill:

Set/stand in the living room. Have a male friend simulate breaking through your door. When you hear the noise start toward your safe and see if you can get it open before he gets you.

If you start like you were watching TV then go you normal route to the safe don't be moving furniture around to bias the test. (it's ok to move the furniture after the test to improve things)

Of course the shock of "It can't be happening to me" won't be there and you will already be geared up to run toward the safe. This will cut 2-3 seconds off the 10 seconds as the reaction time and threat recognition doesn’t have to kick in.

As you are already in condition ORANGE

There will not be the startling "What was that noise"

So let me get this straight: You have your friend simulate breaking down your door just so you can measure your reaction time? Forget about simulation! There's absolutely no set time it takes for someone to kick in your door. Not everyone can kick in a door in a specified amount of time. If you're truly serious about this then you should have your friend practice breaking into ALL the doors of your house since a bad guy can choose ANY door of the house to break in. Bad guys can come in through any window of the house too, even sliding glass patio doors. Might as well have a friend practice breaking those in too, that way you can get an accurate measurement of your reaction time.

And what if you have a pit bull that can delay the intruder's progress through your home? You can have your friend kick in your door and have your sic your pit bull on him and see how long he can disengage from the pit bull, thus buying time for you to get to your gun safe. You have to figure all that into your reaction time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It takes only a 10 seconds to open a safe and access all the "toys"

The drill...

I have done similar drills and consider the results acceptable. Especially when combined with other non-firearm security measures

(teaching others in my household good practices, good neighbors, good lighting, dog, locked doors, locked windows, peep holes, and not answering the door if they are a stranger...)

I did learn from the drills not to be lazy and make sure my keys in their correct place so I don't have to look for them.

I'm in the minority here. I usually don't carry at home, but have one nearby.

I also don't carry everywhere I go. I got to this age without toting a loaded pistol around, and I like to believe that 99% of my risk management is based on taking care of my body, avoiding risky activities and situations, as well as being alert (not necessarily "Condition Orange" as some locals like to call it).

The discussion should never revolve around whether or not something COULD happen. Of course, it could. That's a fool's argument. You COULD die from an asteroid hitting your house while you slept.

I see guys who happily carry around their loaded pistol, yet weigh 300 pounds, drive recklessly without a seatbelt, and chain smoke. I like to put things into perspective. My CHP is just one tool I can use.

Some people seem to assume simply having a loaded pistol on them guarantees they won't be murdered or assaulted. You could die from a bullet or a knife while trying to draw your Roscoe.

I have never lived my life around miniscule probablilities. You'll find most people who do end up with very narrow experiences as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    Is it wise to carry at home?
    Is it wise not to carry at home?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'm in the minority here. I usually don't carry at home, but have one nearby.

I also don't carry everywhere I go. I got to this age without toting a loaded pistol around, and I like to believe that 99% of my risk management is based on taking care of my body, avoiding risky activities and situations, as well as being alert (not necessarily "Condition Orange" as some locals like to call it).

The discussion should never revolve around whether or not something COULD happen. Of course, it could. That's a fool's argument. You COULD die from an asteroid hitting your house while you slept.

I see guys who happily carry around their loaded pistol, yet weigh 300 pounds, drive recklessly without a seatbelt, and chain smoke. I like to put things into perspective. My CHP is just one tool I can use.

Some people seem to assume simply having a loaded pistol on them guarantees they won't be murdered or assaulted. You could die from a bullet or a knife while trying to draw your Roscoe.

I have never lived my life around miniscule probablilities. You'll find most people who do end up with very narrow experiences as a result.
    Brilliant! Bravo! Right on the money! I am very pleased to see you share this attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I worry that many members are dependent on their pistol to feel safe....
    For some, their gun has become their security blanket.

Wise not? If not, might have several in several places.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Some people seem to assume simply having a loaded pistol on them guarantees they won't be murdered or assaulted. You could die from a bullet or a knife while trying to draw your Roscoe. I have never lived my life around miniscule probablilities. You'll find most people who do end up with very narrow experiences as a result.
    I believe you're the one making major assumptions.

I don't think anybody here is assuming that a loaded pistol is a guarantee. They correctly realize that a handgun IMPROVES their chances of survival in a violent confrontation.

I'm certainly glad you live in what you believe to be a safe area. But not everybody lives in a safe area, thus are facing more than a "miniscule" probability of being attacked.

Thus if they want to carry a gun in their home, more power to them.

Nobody is criticizing you for not carrying in your home. Like you, I don't carry in my home, but do keep one within easy reach.

It's simply common sense, especially considering that there have been two shooting incidents in my seemingly "safe" middle class neighborhood within the last few years.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    For some, their gun has become their security blanket.
    The enormous difference being that a security blanket only provides imaginary protection, whereas a firearm provides very real protection.

And no, I don't carry in my home.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

The discussion should never revolve around whether or not something COULD happen.
    Agreed. It should also never revolve around accusations of paranoia, yet it does. Less finger pointing would do us all a world of good.

It's not a crutch, an excuse, a magic wand or an enabler of silly risk-taking. It's a recognition that crime happens, randomly and at a time and place not of your choosing. It's about recognition that you can't use what you don't have with you. It's a tool with a utility afforded by no other option in the same package. It's a tool to take with you, like a wallet or keys. No more, no less.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carry at Home

Your as vulnerable at home as anywhere else.

Rule 1. Times not to carry
    a. Taking a shower
    b. paying "attention" to the wife

now this might seem like overkill but a lot a folks have been caught
    flat footed "safely" in their homes when some lowlife kicks in the door. Short answer is unless the Ms. objects you better have it on.

MJK
    True...if you use a hammer a lot then your exposure to a smashed finger increases. But only if you don't learn well. As I write this on Friday afternoon I'm sitting at my computer desk with a Kimber 5" SIS on my side and the Benelli M4 within arm's reach. I use these hammers 24/7/365 and as a result have developed extraordinary safety skills.

Even if your motive isn't to be prepared for a home invasion, carrying a firearm every day has many other benefits.

Excellent post gents! Spot on and good reading.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links