Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

This is a discussion on Is It Wise To Carry At Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by timberwolf Your as vulnerable at home as anywhere else. Rule 1. Times not to carry a. Taking a shower b. paying "attention" ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    Your as vulnerable at home as anywhere else.

Rule 1. Times not to carry
    a. Taking a shower
    b. paying "attention" to the wife

now this might seem like overkill but a lot a folks have been caught
    flat footed "safely" in their homes when some lowlife kicks in the door. Short answer is unless the Ms. objects you better have it on.
    For the sake of conversation, I'm going to assume that the average person takes about a ten minute shower, which could definitely leave you in a bind if home invaders hit while you were showering.

Luckily, the bathrooms in my home are compact, with the toilets sitting close to the bathtubs. If I ever feel the need, I can always keep a pistol underneath a towel on the back of the toilet, which can easily be reached while showering.

I personally don't keep one in the bathroom, but I'm not one to judge somebody who lives in an unsafe part of town, or has been the previous victim of a crime---who chooses to do so.

It's also wise to use a plain plastic shower curtain that gives you at least partial visibility beyond the curtain. Preferably a clear plastic curtain, if your significant other doesn't object.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Now so many guns are extremely lightweight
    and small there really isnt a reason for most
    people not to carry a gun around in a pocket
    even if its at home. Probably the bad guys will have
    the element of surprise and usually plan things out
    so why give up something else to them by not being
    as ready as you could/should be.
    Say you are at home and a family member is getting ready
    to walk in the door and someone comes up right behind them
    and forces their way in for a planned armed home invasion
    but your gun isnt in your pocket its several seconds away from you
    or in the other room or laying on something in plain sight for the BG
    to see. If you just had a gun on you an opportunity for you to take
    action within a second or less would probably present itself turning the tables
    and giving YOU the element of surprise within your own plan.

2 dogs that bark at anything abnormal they are so good the know cars that should be in the neighborhood and ones that shouldn't. I can relax at home but if the bark firearms are always within reach.

You have your friend simulate breaking down your door just so you can measure your reaction time? Forget about simulation! There's absolutely no set time it takes for someone to kick in your door. Not everyone can kick in a door in a specified amount of time.
    The perp comes to your door and knocks, You look out through the peep hole.
    When the light coming through the peephole is blocked. The Perp know you are at the door. Two or three hard kicks or a solid shoulder upens the door.

Go to an abandon house that is being torn down and try to kick/shoulder any exterior door open.

Perp knocks on your door, you don't answer but block the backlight as you look out. the perps pard then throws a patio funiture chair through the patio sliding door. while you are the front foor.

Yes you can harden you house to prevent these things, but did you? Security locks, video cameras.

BTW if he doesn't make entry then you have an attemped home invesion

BTW all informaion posted is based upon actual events not "what if's"

Enought said by me. You are on your own. Be safe

I would say that it is neither wise nor unwise. I never carry at home unless I have been out and the KTP3AT is so light I forget I have it on.

I never see references to such things as metal security doors. To me it is much better to have doors that cannot be kicked in than to have enough fear to have to carry a gun at home. The two doors I have cost about $75 each, and probably $100 to install. I consider that much more secure than wearing a gun, and especially in the middle of the night. When someone rings I can see out but they cannot see inside.

I consider that where I live, and with my security doors that there is no reason to carry at home. Even without the doors I would not carry at home. If I lived in a risky area I would reconsider.

No need to tell me that such things do happen, but so does getting struck by lightning. I would suspect that more people get struck by lightning than experience forced entries unless it is drug related, or a risky neighborhood where gangs and hoods live and congregate.

I just would not live where I had to carry at home to feel relatively safe. If the place is that dangerous, how could you ever leave the family alone?

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont "always" carry at home and if not, I have a loaded handgun in every room (no kids) and a readied shotgun in the bedroom. Sometimes at home, I like to relax. Our SA is still working even in the house.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I don't as a rule but I do have a gun handy within 5~10 feet.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Moderator
    I couldn't care less if anyone was armed at home. If you choose to put it in a safe, more power to you.
    My weapon is always nearby. If it's not tucked in my waist, then it is within a foot or two of my reach.

Stay armed...unless you have the neighborhood's robbery schedule...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I never see references to such things as metal security doors.
    Well, this is DefensiveCarry.com. The major point of discussion in the forums, here, is the carrying of defensive weapons.

Which is hardly to say that such discussions don't occur. I have participated in several discussions regarding security doors and the layering of defenses, both here and on other forums. Suffice to say that many folks who consider one form of security have reviewed several security elements, and often intelligently select several.

To me it is much better to have doors that cannot be kicked in than to have enough fear to have to carry a gun at home.
    Fear, again. Fear enough to have driven you to install tougher doors. Neighborhood that bad? So worried about "lightning striking" that that it requires stronger doors? I'm surprised you live there, for all the fear it induces.

The point: It's not about fear. Fear has NOTHING to do with the selection of a given defensive tool, or a selection of tools. Rational appreciation of utility does.

In a home with layered defenses, each element has its place.

I consider [security doors] that much more secure than wearing a gun, and especially in the middle of the night.
    Nicely, one need not choose one over the other as if it's a moral choice. Both are available, and both complement an approach to securing one's family.

I consider that where I live, and with my security doors that there is no reason to carry at home.
    A good friend of my family was murdered in his front room when intruders came in through the windows and shot him to pieces. And he wasn't in a "bad" neighborhood or area. They ignored his "security" front door. They also ignored the gun he had. Neither mattered, that day. He was not a fearful man and made no choices out of abject fear.

No need to tell me that such things do happen, but so does getting struck by lightning.
    What are the chances.

Crime happens. A variety of it. Randomly and at times/places not of our own choosing.

As it so happens, my security door can't come with me to the garage, to the back yard, around the house doing yard work. It also doesn't fit over the windows. Hm. Perhaps I should return it as defective, for its limited use.

Thus, I have my firearm, knife. Various tools in various spots in the house/garage/yard.

I would suspect that more people get struck by lightning than experience forced entries unless it is drug related, or a risky neighborhood where gangs and hoods live and congregate.
    Makes one wonder why there's even a need to install a security door, eh?

Few claim abject fear is the cause for thinking of such things. There are a few, but the numbers are dwindling.

If the place is that dangerous, how could you ever leave the family alone?
    Single-point failures are a bad thing. Layers are good.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    I guess my question is, where is the line in the sand?
    To me the line is armed (on me or by me) wherever I am (including home). Anything else is unarmed and unprepared.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Most people dont clear every room or walk around their house
    after getting home from being at work or out somewhere.
    So you come in and disarm yourself just like any other day.
    Sucks that a BG came in through a back door or window
    without anyone noticing while you were out and is still in your house.
    BG has weapon on them and element of surprise so probably not gonna
    turn out so well for homeowner. Not saying that if you were armed things
    would turn out well either but take every advantage you can get to even the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I never see references to such things as metal security doors. To me it is much better to have doors that cannot be kicked in than to have enough fear to have to carry a gun at home. The two doors I have cost about $75 each, and probably $100 to install. I consider that much more secure than wearing a gun, and especially in the middle of the night. When someone rings I can see out but they cannot see inside.
    I've seen videos of those "indestructible metal security doors" you're talking about, getting quickly busted down by determined individuals.

They're better than a standard door, but if you think they're all you need, you better think again.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    Most people dont clear every room or walk around their house after getting home from being at work or out somewhere.
    I always give a quick look around the bottom floor of my house. Mainly at the windows and doors to make sure every thing's in order when I get home from work, or what ever. I also have a Rattie and a very scared cat that, if the cat doesn't come down the stairs when he hears the door chime from my alarm for his treat, I know somethings up. If anyone comes for a visit, he's so well hidden in the house that you cant find him. Once they're gone he comes strollin down and plops down at my chair. Goofy cat, but I use his actions as an alert to anything out of the norm.

My wife noticed for the first time last week, that our Rattie will become alert to the front door even before the door bell sounds, or they knock on the door. I told her several times to key off on the animals as they'll usually be alerted well before we hear or see anything, and when we're home they're always laying around our feet. Animals are great for setting alert status at the home, at least mine are.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

There really needs to be more said about hardening your house in this thread. I said it a few threads back - but you can buy yourself many seconds by reinforcing your doors with something like Door Jamb Armor.

You can make your windows more secure with various lock mechanism, bars or something simple and attractive like ShatterSafe film (lots of work though).

Add motion sensing lights and (if you can) a dog and now you've got at least a good 10 seconds; even as many as THIRTY SECONDS before the average goblin can get into your house from the time you aware of a threat. This means your wife is already on the phone to 911, your kids are in a safe place and you are ready to meet the threat (or holed up in the alamo with the family, depending on how much time you really have) with a REAL weapon and not some pocket carry .380 that may not even slow them down before they are on top of you.

Of course this means REAL guns within easy reach wherever you are so you can get to them in less than 10 seconds; simplex handgun safes are the way to go if you have children. Also there is my idea of a coach/couch gun.

mf
    Thursday night, around 1:30am, someone tried to gain entry into my home. Now, I was really having a hard time sleeping that night, and was really sweaty, so I was thinking about jumping into the shower to feel clean, thinking it may help me sleep.

Well, just as I'm naked ready to jump in the shower I hear the door handle downstairs start jingling. I ran to top of the steps by the door and yelled, "go away, we're sleeping here." (even though I was home by myself) I heard a jump outside and whoever it was ran away.

Now, this makes me wonder what would have happened if I were already in the shower when this happened? I don't take firearms into the bathroom with me late at night, and if I were in the shower I would not have heard someone jingling the door.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links