Is It Wise To Carry At Home?

This is a discussion on Is It Wise To Carry At Home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't been carrying for all that long so I was only carrying at home after work. I would come in, kiss the little lady. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

I haven't been carrying for all that long so I was only carrying at home after work. I would come in, kiss the little lady. Walk in to the bedroom and then strap on a gun. I wouldn't tell my wife I was carrying because if she didn't notice it was pretty clear to me that a stranger from a distance probably wouldn't be able to tell either. So, I guess it was more for practice I think. But now that I have a few months under my belt I began asking myself, "I understand the need for carrying out in town, but here at home?"
    Life where I live is pretty mundane and homey. I began to ask myself if there was a real threat of a home invasion here? Should I continue wearing a gun now that I'm more sure of myself and carrying concealed?
    I believe in being prepared, and having some punk break in my door like you see in those silly TV commercials for electronic monitoring. In a situation like that it makes sense to carry at home. But let's face it, that's TV!
    I could argue that it's better to be prepared then sorry. But wouldn't that be more paranoid than a given situation warrants?
    I mean, there haven't been any break-ins in our neighborhood. The crime rate is pretty low actually. And there is the law of probability. The more times you use a hammer the more likely you'll mash your finger. And with a loaded gun the results could be very traumatic!
    I guess my question is, where is the line in the sand?

do a google news search for home invasion and see how many hits you get and then think it can't happen here.The hammer analogy does not fit because you are just carrying your gun not using it.

100% of all home invasions happen at home.

RMS
    Carry every where it is legal. Crimminals have no boundaries.

I don't carry at home , but there is a loaded gun within easy reach in every room .
    That being said , I still feel like I should carry at home sometimes just because you never know .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Crime is low where I live too. 3 houses up from me had its back door kicked in while everyone was home around 3am, the BG could have met his maker when the owner almost put .44 mag hollow points through his skull.
    Crime is like a car accident you could say. Happens EVERYWHERE at ANY TIME with or with out warnings. I carry open at home mostly concealed when I go out, been doing the OC a little more latley,but thats for another thread. Point is, a crime can happen anywhere at anytime.

As for the hammer and gun thing you are talking about, WHY would that happen? I keep mine in the holster all day except for going to sleep when it moves to the nightstand next to the cell and streamlight,wake up shower back in the holster and back on my pants. At work it gets locked up at the shop or in my glove box in the car IN the shop. ONLY time it gets unloaded and the round is removed from the chamber is at the range or for its weekly clean and lube. There is no "line in the sand" when it comes to carrying IMO, only line in the sand is when is lethal force required. You are suseptable to crime 24/7, you are protecting you and yours 24/7. This is only my .02

-Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

IMHO, it's unwise not to......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I don't know if there is a line. Some live were you have to carry 24/7. While others ( like yourself) have less potential threats. Only you can asses your needs
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I like to carry at home mainly because if someone knocks on my door, I dont have to go get my gun first. I'm not answering the door without it ( if I look out and dont know the person ).
    I live on a highway and people occasionally break down or have accidents and come to my door.
    I'm of the mindset that anything can happen at anytime, anywhere, even at home.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

I carry my Ruger LCP everywhere I go and at night it goes on my nightstand. When you least expect it the crap will hit the fan. Always stay vigilant.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    100% of all home invasions happen at home.
    HA! Nice. I don't ALWAYS carry at home, but it is in arms reach at all times.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by fcolins357 View Post
    I haven't been carrying for all that long so I was only carrying at home after work. I would come in, kiss the little lady. Walk in to the bedroom and then strap on a gun. I wouldn't tell my wife I was carrying because if she didn't notice it was pretty clear to me that a stranger from a distance probably wouldn't be able to tell either. So, I guess it was more for practice I think. But now that I have a few months under my belt I began asking myself, "I understand the need for carrying out in town, but here at home?"
    Life where I live is pretty mundane and homey. I began to ask myself if there was a real threat of a home invasion here? Should I continue wearing a gun now that I'm more sure of myself and carrying concealed?
    I believe in being prepared, and having some punk break in my door like you see in those silly TV commercials for electronic monitoring. In a situation like that it makes sense to carry at home. But let's face it, that's TV!
    I could argue that it's better to be prepared then sorry. But wouldn't that be more paranoid than a given situation warrants?
    I mean, there haven't been any break-ins in our neighborhood. The crime rate is pretty low actually. And there is the law of probability. The more times you use a hammer the more likely you'll mash your finger. And with a loaded gun the results could be very traumatic!
    I guess my question is, where is the line in the sand?
    I always carry at home, most of the time I have my S&W M&P 340 J frame in my pocket. I live in a very low crime area as well and my wife makes fun of me for carrying at home. Usually I just point out the most recent home invasion head line in the local news and tell her that's why I carry. Sure, most of the home invasions are happening in areas that are 30 or 40 miles away, but you never know when some punk is going to go for a joy ride to pick out some new hunting grounds. Also, the small community 10 miles away has had a lot of break in's in the last month or so, I didn't pass the opportunity up to show my wife that in the news paper either!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I agree with Varob. This is a decision that only you can make for yourself. Since when I'm home, I'm dressed in scrub pants and a t shirt, carrying at home is difficult. However, I have guns near me at all times. Do I think that there's a huge chance of a home invasion? No, but then a friend of mine did have one, and almost died. Since I have related the story several times, I won't go into details again. But if it could happen to him, it could happen to me. So a gun is within reach, and I don't answer the door without a gun in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I don't know if there is a line. Some live were you have to carry 24/7. While others ( like yourself) have less potential threats. Only you can asses your needs

I live in a rural area about half way between Douglas AZ and Nogales AZ. Two major drugways go close to my house. Hwy 82/Hwy 90. The BP are catching Undocumented travelers 15 plus, several times a week in this area.

An abandon stolen pickup truck was found less then mile from my house filled to the brim with marijuana, over 1000 lbs worth.

LEO response time unless I get very very very lucky is over 35 minutes, Per the SO, depending on the time of day and what other actives are happening. It could take longer.

On moonless nights my dogs go nuts barking toward the 600 Ft wide strip of unkempt mesquite and brush between me and the highway, it belongs to the state.

Within the last two years several smugglers have been apprehended by the BP carrying AKs in the surrounding mountains.

A couple times a month we see the BP helicopter in the our area helping capture the the illegals

The government has posted numerous signs in the off road (Government maintained gravel roads) areas warning drivers to keep their windows rolled up and their vehicle doors locked because of smugglers and illegals.

If you have any questions on why I carry 24/7 please feel free to ask.

In my neighborhood, you would carry at home to
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links