Hardening your Home -- doors, lighting, alarms, weapons, neighborhood awareness - Page 4

Hardening your Home -- doors, lighting, alarms, weapons, neighborhood awareness

This is a discussion on Hardening your Home -- doors, lighting, alarms, weapons, neighborhood awareness within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by grady Agreed. We always park in our garage, so unless someone sees us leave or arrive, they have to guess as to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hardening your Home -- doors, lighting, alarms, weapons, neighborhood awareness

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Agreed.
    We always park in our garage, so unless someone sees us leave or arrive, they have to guess as to whether we are home or not. That also makes it harder for someone to steal our remote garage-door opener, which could be used later for entry into the garage and then into the house.
    I don't keep a garage door opener in my car. My opener is a small keyfob on my key chain, so it's always with me. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I don't keep a garage door opener in my car. My opener is a small keyfob on my key chain, so it's always with me. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
    Great idea!

Some of us are still using garage door openers from the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by ariz88402 View Post
    Many people don't realize that YOU and your family getting out of your home may be just as important as keeping unwanteds from getting in.
    A very important point. Can't be saving what you can't eject, if needed. And that includes ourselves, in case of fire or the BG's getting the upper hand and folks needing to skedaddle.

Am in the process, myself, of researching screened steel doors/frames, as well as easy-out barred windows.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I should be butch-slapped.

I thought I had installed longer screws in my door hinges years ago, but I checked tonight:
    1. The 48 kitchen door hinge screws, both to the frame and to the door, were 1".
    2. The 24 front door hinge screws to the door were 1".
    3. The 24 front door hinge screws to the frame were .75".
    Turns out I had found 4 missing screws years ago, so I installed 4 longer screws and called it good... 4 out of 48.

So I have removed all those and replaced with 48 3 1/2" screws. Had my daughter go shopping with me, and help install, so she will know how to do it herself.

I also checked the screws on both doorknob strike plates: .75" as well. Now one set is 3 1/2", the other is 2" due to potential of electrical wires at 3".

On a good note, I do have deadbolts installed with long screws, but that alone might not have withstood a good kick.

I purchased 2 "lock and door reinforcers", the metal gizmo that goes behind the doorknobs and deadbolts, and wraps around the door. They are almost a foot tall and extend about 4 1/2" on both sides of the door, and wrap underneath the locks on both sides. This item helps keep the doorknobs and deadbolts in place by strengthening the door itself.

I researched the 5' metal strip that reinforces the door jamb. That's the most important part for my doors of strengthening them. I found a couple options for about $90 apiece, one is 1/8" thick, the other 1/16" thick. I'll order one for each door as soon as I quit procrastinating, hopefully tonight.

I should have done all this more than a decade ago.

I'm way late, hopefully not too late.

Total cost for today:
    $9 for the screws
    $27 @ for the reinforcers
    Significant hit on my ego because I thought I had done a better job of preparing against a break-in.

If one doesn't have the cash for the reinforcers, even the screws, plus a reinforced strike plate, would be an improvement.

I hope the rest of you aren't as slow as I have been in hardening your castles.

grady,

We must be on same wavelength! Went around the house Wednesday and installed 3" screws in all hinges and strikeplates. Deadbolts with "box" for deadbolt were installed Tuesday. Again, buying time to "rack and load" with one of the two strategically placed Mossberg 500 "Tacticals". If I am away all of the video stuff kicks in with the ATD alarm. My insurance will cover me, but they are going to do hard time! I am not nearly as worried about my "stuff" as I am about being caught at home and being killed or hurt.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

wjh2657, good job on installing the longer screws and the deadbolts!

Yep, just trying to buy time. A determined attacker can still get in given enough time, but it'd be a shame for a guy to walk in after just one kick.

I'm doing like Bark'n mentioned somewhere: find the weakest link in my castle, work on fixing that, then look for the next weakest link.

Have you considered that 5' metal door jamb reinforcer? I'll post a couple links once I find them. A little pricey, but it will strengthen the door jamb considerably.

This one was already mentioned earlier in the thread. It's 1/8" thick, $110 + shipping, $180 for 2 + shipping. http://www.asafehome.net/index.html

This is another option if you don't have a 1/8" gap. This one is 1/16" thick, currently on sale for $90 + shipping: http://www.doorsecuritypro.com/index.html

I am going to take a look. I have the money, just have to decide if they will be effective. How about posting any and all links you come up with? I bet a lot of folks would like to take a look.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

That's right Guardian!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Excuse me, where did I say I there are firearms in my house, I'm sorry after working law enforcement for 20 years, burglars know who has what by how many devices you have on your house to keep them out, it's a simple deduction to them. The more you have, the more appealing it is to them, the bigger payday.

Secondly, I didn't say I was itching to shoot anyone, again with my experience, I haven't been bothered in 5 years due to the crackheads knowing I will take care of business with them, that doesn't mean them breaking my window and me shooting them, that means them leaving my family/house alone, sometimes the unspoken word(s) are more effective then spoken or visual effects my friend. Read what is said, not what you want it to say.

Plus, I live in Texas (Castle Doctrine) they break into my window in the middle of the night and I'm home, doesn't matter if you say in court I was itching for one of them to do it or not, evidence will be on my side (thought I don't wish that to happen).
    Castle Doc: Trumps all the sissy stuff.
    When it comes to defending ourselves and families.
    It's our responsibility to defend. If the bad thinks differently, that's his fault.

My Dog is 110lbs if you have bad intents towards us he will attack you. He won't stop unless I tell him to. I'm a old US Cav. Soldier. Get the picture!!!

If the bad guy thinks differently that's his fault:::
    Refuse to be prey. God Bless you..
    American Bulldog, HK USPf.45Tac, HK45,
    HK USPc .45ss, SW-642ct, Sig556

(The Phantom Brigade)
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division

the only way in or out is a funnel and when you get 'there' pick a door, 1, 2, or 3

force will be met with greater force, I have no where else to go!

Great food for thought, ccw9mm...
    I worry more about 'problems' when I'm away then when I'm home.
    Dead bolts (keyed both sides), safes, two dogs, and caring neighbors can help. One neighbor watches ALL movement and she's always home. She actually has a key and has helped us with the dogs at times...she's a real assest. Several neighbors are cops with cars parked out on the street...that is of some benefit.
    Note to self: strengthen front door casing!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd suggest not over-hardening enough to prevent your exit from a fire. I go to a lot more house fires than defensive shootings. If you do have double cylinder deadbolts (and I do on two doors) keep the key low enough that you can find it crawling under smoke. Avoid bars on wndows without quick release features inside. I'm not a big fan of glass block windows, either, you only have to get stuck behind those in a fire once to get a bad taste in your mouth.

I have good deadbolts with good screws in the doorframes, motion lights, baby monitors in the house, and good neighbors.

I just have a home security systems and a 12 camera surveillance system And of course all my guns

Some may say that I have a bit to much but I love my family and I'm a truck driver and I'm not always home.
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

I'm going to fashion some metal plates (2"wide by a few feet long) to mount into the frame of my entry doors. Similar to the strike master 2.

Strike Master 2

Also, I have one window in proximity to a door. (I live in a 2-story townhome) I found out that my friend (who owns a tinting company) can request samples from Security film companies (film made to withstand projectiles in a hurricane) for FREE. They usually send 100ft. samples. I can apply that to the one window downstairs.

I have a small barking dog, lots of guns with quick access safes, and very bright lights on my defensive guns. ADT alarm system goes off and you come up the stairs? I'm making a Hamburglar sandwich with some 00 buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Geese also work and they will attack.
    An angry brown barn goose can be a nasty creature

My home is fairly well laid out aside from the glaring insecurity of our sliding glass door to our porch. Split level with attached garage, inside door to garage is an interior door, but is dead-bolted so it will cause some noise to open. Front door has no windows next to it, but does have a mail slot on the hinge side. Beds are not in line with doors in any room. No current security lights, however, and the lock on the porch door is very weak.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links