PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do This To Your Doors!!! - Page 2

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do This To Your Doors!!!

This is a discussion on PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do This To Your Doors!!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had my garage broke into at one of my other houses I had.,.. I built something similar to the strikemaster,.. They did come back ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do This To Your Doors!!!

I had my garage broke into at one of my other houses I had.,.. I built something similar to the strikemaster,.. They did come back and couldn't get in that door again, but they busted the bottom of the garage door instead,... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    Not to say I don't like these products or ideas, but I have too many other points of entry. If a BG is willing to kick in my door, then he would also be willing to smash a window. I have 5 ground level glass windows, a rear sliding glass door and a set of glass-paned double doors for my basement entry.

I'm not one to say I don't want to spend the money to secure all points of entry, however I can't afford to do it. Damn I hate wanting to be prepared for when the SHTF, especially, all the possible ways it could happen.

Anyone know if any of those old missile silos are still available for sale? I remember seeing an episode of extreme homes (or something like that) where I guy was living in one he converted to a comfortable living place.
    Yep.. or an underground bunker,.. When you have windows, it is easy to break them to get in,. Out here you see allot of bar's on the windows, but they look like a jail and if you had a fire,.. Well I just don't think that would be a good thing,.. I know some have pin's you can take out to open the bar's from the inside, but would you think about that in the middle of the night when your house is filled with smoke???

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    Not to say I don't like these products or ideas, but I have too many other points of entry. If a BG is willing to kick in my door, then he would also be willing to smash a window. I have 5 ground level glass windows, a rear sliding glass door and a set of glass-paned double doors for my basement entry.

I'm not one to say I don't want to spend the money to secure all points of entry, however I can't afford to do it. Damn I hate wanting to be prepared for when the SHTF, especially, all the possible ways it could happen.

Anyone know if any of those old missile silos are still available for sale? I remember seeing an episode of extreme homes (or something like that) where I guy was living in one he converted to a comfortable living place.
    What you do is prioritize your upgrades as you can afford to.

If you evaluate and harden the first and most likely point of entry and then continue to upgrade as you can afford to.

What usually happens is that if the bad guy fails to get into the first one or two "usual" points of entry... he will more than likely break off and look for another target house altogether. He has already expended too much time and energy failing to gain access to your house, he will likely move on down the road.

The more exposure they have on the outside attempting to gain access, the more likely for bad things to happen to them or they get caught.

When it comes to hardening your castle, very few people can afford to go out and spare no expense to get it all done in one shot.

So you have to evaluate and prioritize which points of entry you want to harden first, and then slowly expand out as you can afford to do so.

Hardening your castle should be an "ongoing process", not something most people can afford to do in one single massive upgrade. For example, you may want to invest in some enhanced exterior lighting with motion sensors before you spend money on the video surveillance system. Likewise you may want to improve the quality of your door frame and locks before getting the outside lighting or video system. But it should be based on how you have evaluated your immediate needs first.

It is foolish to have the attitude that "I can't afford to harden every point of possible entry, therefore I'll do nothing."

If you can only afford to harden one door or one window a year, then so be it. You'll be ahead of the game compared to those who have a total sheep mentality.

Anyway, just my opinion on how you can approach things systematically. It may not work or be useful for everybody.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    When you have windows, it is easy to break them to get in,. Out here you see allot of bar's on the windows, but they look like a jail and if you had a fire,.. Well I just don't think that would be a good thing,.. I know some have pin's you can take out to open the bar's from the inside, but would you think about that in the middle of the night when your house is filled with smoke???
    Actually, Yes, you more than likely will be able to think about it in the middle of the night with house filled with smoke if you practice EDITH

The fire service has been encouraging EDITH for decades.

By the way... EDITH isn't your crazy old aunt who visits on holidays.

EDITH = Escape Drills In The Home!

Just like the adage that "You Fight How You Train," the same applies to escaping a house fire in the middle of the night.

You should not only have an action plan, like everyone meet at a designated point once outside the house for accountability, but you should "practice" that action plan regularly. Once a year... twice a year...

People who invest in "escape ladders" for people who sleep on second or third floors should also train and practice using them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n

I really do value your opinion and enjoy reading your posts and have gained a lot of valuable infrmation from them.

However, I am inclined to disagree with you here. My feeling is that if the entire thing cannot be made secure, then there is no point in securing a single point or two. This might be different for me because where I live, it is an isolated location where a BG that decided to break in would have the time and privacy neaded to try an alternate entry point, should the first one he tried fail. If I lived in the suburbs with lots of neighbors that could easily see my house and hear whats happening around it, I would agree with you.

I guess my thought is that if I spend $$$ to secure many positions, but leave one that a BG gets through, well I just wasted all the $$$. Not to say I will not try to save it all up for a major purchase some day either.

Of course my other reasoning is that I want my "just in case" plan to be more mobile. That way if the SHTF in a really big way, I can get the hell out of Dodge without leaving behind a big investment... (not that mortgage is not a big investment, but my extra $$$ I want to spend on SD items that can come with me.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Midnight,

I think your addressing two different problems. The SHTF scenario with bugging out has little or nothing to do with securing ones home against a bad guy, whether or not the owner is in the home.

I guess in the extreme sense, if one was to combine the two they would have to build a self sufficient mobile bunker and keep all valuables in it and sleep in it at night leaving nothing in the home worth anything. The home would simply be used during daylight hours or whenever one could keep a watch on things with the ability to retreat to the mobile bunker. The possibility of having to bug out is much less likely than someone kicking your door in and taking your stuff.

For home security, unless the intruders are coming with a track hoe or dozer ect, your going to want to secure entry points which typically are doors and windows. In addition to that you might want to make a safe room inside the house in case the main structure is breached, or have an exit strategy to leave them the house and its belongings while you and your family head for safety.

There is no way to totally secure any structure against all threats, well NORAD might be totally secure, but most don't get to live there.

All we can do is to take precautions and do the best we can based on our own abilities and resources. The more obstacles a potential thief has to overcome the less likely they will be to stick around. If you have a big dog inside the house that barks alot, or in the back yard, that makes a great deterrent for most criminals. If you leave your doors open, or garage open with lots of valuables visible, you are making yourself a target.

Think of it this way. If you have no weapons on you, your an easier target than someone who carries a knife. If you carry a gun your less easy of a target than somone with a knife. If you are wearing full body armor and have multiple firearms or other weapons your less likely a target than if you have only a single firearm. The same principles apply to protecting property as they do to protecting people. The more steps or deterrents to a thief the less likely the property is to be a target, or the less likely the thief or intruder is to be successful.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The best solution, IMHO, is a steel tube, to which the deadbolt enters upon locking. This requires holes drilled in the studs the length of the bar. Easy to do on new or remodel construction. Not quite as easy. All you need is a sturdy steel tube with an inside diameter larger than your deadbolt. On the hinge side, use extremely long screws to get in to the supporting studs.

My 2.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

This Forum topic

Got my attention today when I was reviewing our web traffic over fifty people visited the website. I just wanted to be available if any have question you are more than welcome to ask.

I do like to offer this video for you to learn more of The Ultimate Lock | Premium Home Security Deadbolt Door Lock
    residential 3000

YouTube - Home Security Deadbolt Door Lock -The Ultimate Lock

If your back door is 1/2 glass, anything like what is posted here is pretty futile. For the rest, it looks to be a great idea.

Good point there, in case of a glass door its recommended to have an alarm. However if 'someone' kicks in your glass door, which is rare the element of surprise is gone.

Which is the whole point of Home Invasions. They don't generally call you first and say: "hey? You free around sixish? Me and my buddies want to rob you."

Also, kicking in a glass door not only takes away the element of surprise, but also leaves an opportunity of evidence, DNA, finger prints etc.

I too have a glass door but on the bottom of the glass I have NRA member sticker on it just in case someone wants to be dumb enough to try :)

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Midnight,

I think your addressing two different problems. The SHTF scenario with bugging out has little or nothing to do with securing ones home against a bad guy, whether or not the owner is in the home.

I guess in the extreme sense, if one was to combine the two they would have to build a self sufficient mobile bunker and keep all valuables in it and sleep in it at night leaving nothing in the home worth anything. The home would simply be used during daylight hours or whenever one could keep a watch on things with the ability to retreat to the mobile bunker. The possibility of having to bug out is much less likely than someone kicking your door in and taking your stuff.

For home security, unless the intruders are coming with a track hoe or dozer ect, your going to want to secure entry points which typically are doors and windows. In addition to that you might want to make a safe room inside the house in case the main structure is breached, or have an exit strategy to leave them the house and its belongings while you and your family head for safety.

There is no way to totally secure any structure against all threats, well NORAD might be totally secure, but most don't get to live there.

All we can do is to take precautions and do the best we can based on our own abilities and resources. The more obstacles a potential thief has to overcome the less likely they will be to stick around. If you have a big dog inside the house that barks alot, or in the back yard, that makes a great deterrent for most criminals. If you leave your doors open, or garage open with lots of valuables visible, you are making yourself a target.

Think of it this way. If you have no weapons on you, your an easier target than someone who carries a knife. If you carry a gun your less easy of a target than somone with a knife. If you are wearing full body armor and have multiple firearms or other weapons your less likely a target than if you have only a single firearm. The same principles apply to protecting property as they do to protecting people. The more steps or deterrents to a thief the less likely the property is to be a target, or the less likely the thief or intruder is to be successful.
    With the Ultimate Lock, which I don't mean to advertise here. Its one of the features, you can turn ANY room into a safe room.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    I've been slowly replacing all of the hollow core doors in my house with solid wood doors and over the weekend added an enlarged strike plate to my bedroom door. Just trying to make my home more secure. I'd like to do that Strikemaster on my front door. I have 2 additional thoughts to add to this thread.

1) If you beef up the striker side of the door, consider also beefing up the hinge side as well with some longer screws so that it doesn't become the weak point.

2) Once you have hardened your door frames, take a good hard look at your house and find the next easiest point of entry a badguy might use. In my case, hardening my front door is hardly worth the effort due to the large window next to the door....
    Point #1. True...and great advice.... BUT..... Most people would NEVER think to attack the hinge side. Even still, we do have longer screws for the hinges. Good point!

Point #2. Good point..... BUT..... You might want to take a look at this for those windows: BurglarGARD Window Protection Films. Stops intruders in their tracks! I works quite well.

Be safe!
    "The wicked flee when no one pursues,
    But the righteous are bold as a lion."

Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So what works on a trailer/manufactured home door? They aren't as structurally sound as a stick built home. The interface between door/frame/wall/floor is a bit inferior.
    The combo works AMAZINGLY well. Though not as well as a permanent structure, you are still given PLENTY of time to respond to the threat. So.... you might not be able to change the sights out on the Glock.... Heck, you should have already done that anyway! :-)

Seriously, it works great.

Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateLock View Post
    With the Ultimate Lock, which I don't mean to advertise here. Its one of the features, you can turn ANY room into a safe room.
    Really?

I can get through any sheetrock wall in about a couple of seconds. Solid wood walls would take a bit more time, but definately not impenatrable.

It takes much more than a good lock to make a safe room.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Really?

I can get through any sheetrock wall in about a couple of seconds. Solid wood walls would take a bit more time, but definately not impenatrable.

It takes much more than a good lock to make a safe room.
    I Totally agree. Putting a lock (no matter how great the lock) on a door doesn't make a "safe room". Nowhere even close. In fact, this thread was started to help people secure their doors..... REALLY secure their doors. Not drop money on a lock that will break the door jam just as easy as any other.

Thanks for pointing out this sales pitch B.S.

Be Safe!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links