Being at the ready at home - Page 2

Being at the ready at home

This is a discussion on Being at the ready at home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carry all the time even in my home and I'm not crazy just a realistic person...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being at the ready at home

I carry all the time even in my home and I'm not crazy just a realistic person
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

LCP always on me, either in my front pocket or in a waistband holster while wearing lounge pants.

I answer the door with my hand in my pocket gripping the gun.

I figure I can unload it while working my way to other larger caliber handguns placed strategically throughout the house.

If you chose to keep your gun in a safe, you are at risk when you answer the door. That should be considered. If you don't want to be the victim of being attacked when you answer the door, you either retrieve your gun from the safe before answering the door or chose to use some other less effective means to defend yourself if you are immediately under attack when you answer the door. Or don't answer the door.

If you have kids in the home, yet you want to have the best and most effective tool immediately available to you in order to defend yourself against an attack at the front door, then the best option is to carry your gun on your person under your control or retrieve your gun from where you store it in a child proof container before you answer the door.

If you choose to not have a firearm immediately available when you come under attack, then you have to deal with that attack as best you can with something less effective then the firearm.

It all boils down to choices. Your choices! Your free will to chose how you wish to defend yourself or prepare for defense. And you have to take responsibility for the outcome as a result of the choices you make one way or the other.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation.
    In can be that quick. And your ability to do something about it starts right then. The choices you make will determine whether you're highly likely to withstand the attack, or only possibly able to do so.

Your circumstances will also make certain choices better ones in your situation, as compared to those same choices for me, since our circumstances will be somewhat different. Consider the layout of your home, your front walkway/entry area and whether you can see/know who is coming before they see you; whether someone can approach or even enter windows or doors without your knowledge; whether you'll get much advance warning of a breach of the perimeter, or none. There are many steps you can take, and a firearm is only one of a dozen different steps that can be layered to form a fairly robust and effective early-warning system to help you present the firmest possible resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    ... how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic?
    "What do you care what other people think?"
    - Richard P. Feynman. Nobel Laureate, Physics.

I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU?
    Sure. I do it daily. So do many, many others that frequent the forums here. There are very good reasons for doing so.

Some thoughts ...

Take an hour, on a fine Saturday morning, when you're relaxing with a cup of tea and watching the sun come up. Think through each of the different situations that could occur, if one or two criminals decide that your house is the one to strike. Think about a violent, noisy home invasion. Think about a quiet, surreptitious access via a rear window at 2am. Think about someone coming in while you're out back mowing the lawn, but your 14yr old daughter is inside being hunted down. Think one or more people coming into the back yard while you're preparing a BBQ lunch for your kids. Think about a crime next door, which gets you to exit from the house to see what's up or if you can help.

As you think about these types of situations, you'll realize that very little can beat having a firearm on your person at that moment. It's not for everyone. It's not for 24x7. But it can be a very useful and functional method for that element of your preparations.

And, yes, there are many here who lambast such people as fearful cowards who cannot look at a shadow without jumping. Ignore such silliness. They're small-minded, attempting to make you feel small for thinking big thoughts about your family's security. Why ignore it? Because it is YOUR safety you're talking about, not their inability to feel good about your decisions for your family's security. Nobody's health and well-being matters in that decision but your own.

does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house.
    AMSEC (American Security) makes a couple of decent in-wall units. Anchor it really well to steel plates inside your 2x4's, and have it outfitted with a quick-access mechanism.

No matter how quick-release you make a safe, it's still going to take a few seconds to move over to it, and a couple seconds to open it and access the contents. Better to have your firearm on your person, or at least within easy reach. You'll need to think it through, as to why one method over another makes sense, or will/won't work for you. There are a lot of previous discussions on this topic, where folks lay out their rationale for how they do it.

My recommendation would be to work through the various scenarios with your spouse and older kids, so that everyone understands basically what could happen, what simple preparations are going to be taken, and what to do with SHTF. It's far better to round up the flock when they're actively assisting in the round-up. And it's far better when everyone's pulling on the oars together, instead of fighting each other at exactly that moment when you can least afford it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My eighteen year old solution: buy j-frame Smith & Wesson, buy pocket holster, put gun in holster, put holstered gun in front pants pocket. As I age, bought second j-frame, holster, shove in left pocket. 2 hands=2 guns. Oh, load each with quality ammo. Never cheap-out or under buy to save a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax, but remember Sampson and how he got his haircut? Think about this as well when you're at home with the family.....you fall asleep on the job and others may very well pay for your mistakes.
    Ram Rod indeed said it right!
    When we are in our sanctum, our guard is down; we are relaxed; our situational awareness isn't engaged.
    The perfect time for a surprise attack.
    A very effective surprise attack!
    +1 on the previous recommendation that we carry concealed at home: it does indeed increase our practice and our familiarity with carrying and getting comfortable and quite used to carrying concealed.
    I for one could not live with the knowledge that I could have kept us safe at home, but had failed in doing that, because all my hardware was in the safe and unloaded when the ordure kicked the door.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

uziman2k,

Can you get to your gun in 3 seconds if your door gets kicked in? That's how long this family had, and they were in the back bedroom at the time.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rue-story.html

Depending on your home layout and your location in the home at the time, you may have less than 3 seconds to get your gun in hand.

Can you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And, yes, there are many here who lambast such people as fearful cowards who cannot look at a shadow without jumping. Ignore such silliness. They're small-minded, attempting to make you feel small for thinking big thoughts about your family's security. Why ignore it? Because it is YOUR safety you're talking about, not their inability to feel good about your decisions for your family's security. Nobody's health and well-being matters in that decision but your own.
    The analogy I usually throw at the cynics is as follows:

"So tell me, exactly how many times have you used the airbag in your car? Never, you say? Did you know that a chop shop will pay you a couple hundred for it? Hell, they'll even do the 'uninstallation' for you. I mean, you don't 'need' it, right? Did you also know that if an airbag malfunctions and pops unexpectedly, it can break your nose and knock you out cold? It sure can. It's beyond me why someone would want a dangerous weapon like an airbag in their presence. I mean, you'll never NEED it, right? What, you say you might need it in the unlikely event of a crash?"

Even though I'm not a "carry at home all the time" type at the moment, I may become one if I decide to get an LCP or J-Frame. The new Ruger LCR revolver is looking good, as well, but I expect them to be in short supply for a while.

And you're right; only YOU can truly be responsible for the safety of yourself and those you love, so forget what the critics think.

I think the best rule to follow, whether speaking of guns or almost anything else, is that it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    like me just carry untill you are ready to go to bed
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I can't think of a better place for a firearm than on me. I carry whenever I am awake and a handgun is only inches away when I sleep.

I would lock all of my weapons away until I needed them... If I were clairvoyant.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Even though I'm not a "carry at home all the time" type at the moment, I may become one if I decide to get an LCP or J-Frame. The new Ruger LCR revolver is looking good, as well, but I expect them to be in short supply for a while.
    Oh! You must get the LCR. I bought one for my wife and now I have to get another one. It is just plain fun to shoot. A local shop here in Indiana has plenty of them for $390... Now that is AFFORDABLE.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Until the time that home invasions no longer happen at home, I'll carry my firearm on my person. Fastest access and the safest place for it to be
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Until the time that home invasions no longer happen at home, I'll carry my firearm on my person. Fastest access and the safest place for it to be
    Speaking of "the time that home invasions no longer happen" I have a question.

I repeatedly see ads and comments to news stories (e.g., newsminer.com • Victims of Anchorage home invasion held on drug charges), which quote
    "The FBI says that a home is invaded once every 12 seconds. Burglars mainly just "kick in" doors. They can usually get through your door in less than 1 second with one good well placed kick."
    I have get to find a source of this quote.

Anyone have a reference/citation?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I personally have no idea why people answer the door for ANYONE other than well-known neighbors and friends, or people with whom they have made prior arrangements for a home visit. Our doors don't have one-kick locks and jambs. They are reinforced.

Religious prosletyzers, salesmen, politicians, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, ACORN workers, census takers, out-of-gas drivers, charity petitioners, &c. are all left standing on my porch. They may even see I am in the house. Tough. I've even left neighbors standing there - especially the nosy neighbor lady who thinks my part-time job is to carry heavy crap for her.

Neither my wife nor I even bother to answer the door unless we know EXACTLY who is there, and we want to see them. You don't owe it to anyone to listen to their pitch, sign their petition, or carry their new dresser up to the second floor.

Agree --- the "safest" place for a handgun is on my person, not in a gun safe. When and where to carry? Everywhere it is legal --- especially in my home.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links