Being at the ready at home

This is a discussion on Being at the ready at home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where do you keep the car's spare tire? In the car, of course. Why? 'Cause that's where the "flat" is going to occur. Where do ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Being at the ready at home

Where do you keep the car's spare tire? In the car, of course. Why? 'Cause that's where the "flat" is going to occur.

Where do you keep the fire extinguisher? Near the likeliest sources of fire. Why? So it's right there if needed, when your lives are at risk.

Where do you keep the emergency numbers and address book? Next to the telephone. Why? 'Cause that's where you'll need it.

Where do you keep your self-defense, life-saving tools (such as firearm, knife, pepper spray, cell phone) ... if not on your person? Why on your person? 'Cause they're called self-defense tools for good reason.

Got one self-defense, life-saving tool? Keep it where you'll most likely need it: with you, on you. Got a second one? Keep it safe, in a spot where you can get to it quickly if needed. Got more? Keep them safe, in a spot where you can get to them if needed.

Remember, you're not doing all of this to please anyone else. You're doing it for your safety and the lives of your family members. Someone else doesn't like the idea that you're thinking of their safety first? Screw 'em. You're not living life to please others and their conception of how you should live your life. You're living life the way you and your loved ones see fit. Keep them safe via whatever methods help achieve exactly that. Forget the over-weening concerns of a babbling few who won't like it one bit. They'll get over it ... or not. But you and your family will be safer, and better for it.

'Nuff said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

If I'm awake, either the xd45c, xd9sc or Taurus ULite .38 (to be bought today) is on my hip. Whether I'm in the bed or on the couch (she says I snore) it's on the floor next to me.

MJK
    I always carry at home, except during bathroom time and then it's within arm's reach of the shower or the commode. Heck, at times I've even placed my firearm in a ziplock bag and taken a shower with it!

When answering the door my weapon is concealed simply because it offers the greatest tactical advantage.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic? I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU?
    Gee, I'm sitting here at my PC with a SIG P-220R in my IWB holster, a spare magazine in an OWB pouch on my off side, had them on all day under my t-shirt and never once thought I was a gun crazed fanatic!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If I can't grab my handgun within 1 second of an alarm, I am unarmed---doesn't matter where else it is: in safe, upstairs bedroom, or closet.

I carry a pistol on me at all times, usually concealed in public, usually openly at home. It's on the floor under my bed when I sleep, or in the rare case of visiting children, under me between the mattress and springs.

I only open the door for a known acquaintance or a delivery person when I expect a package. I know I'm not a gun-crazed fanatic, and don't care whether some Anti perceives me to be one.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...gun-crazed fanatic...
    We prefer the term, "enthusiast"...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    We prefer the term, "enthusiast"...
    I'm even okay with "zealot."

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I open carry at home all the time, regardless of where I may be on my property. Those people who drop by that are disturbed by my gun, never come back, which is fine by me.

I tend to conceal, even at home, and don't remove all my guns when I get home. I may take one gun off, but the second one stays on my person until I retire for the evening. If I'm carrying a third gun, that too will often get taken off when I get home.

Biker

Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic?
    Better to have ignorant people think me a "gun-crazed fanatic" if that makes them feel better, than to be an unprepared, naive dolt who believes pixie dust will save me, if crime strikes.

It comes down to those two choices: be reasonably prepared via remaining armed and aware; or, naively assume it won't ever "rain."

Crime has struck, before. Crime will likely strike again. The criminals' union won't tell me when or where. Thus, I must remain armed and aware in order to be prepared for an event that has no known date/time, else they're almost certain to succeed.

BTW, I'm neither fanatic, zealot or enthusiast. I simply put on my gun/mag/holster as easily as socks, and as frequently, and I don't think much more of it. The ONLY reason it's made a big deal of is because of how others' assumptions get the better of them. It's not me. Nor should it be. The gun is no different than socks, in terms of ready-to-wear, easy-to-use, daily items that are as much a part of my going out the door as anything else. It's no big deal. Not ever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU?
    LAWL you've got to be kidding me dude.

If you can't carry your gun in your own home you've got bigger problems then a home invasion.

OK OK -I get the message. I can see that my original post was misunderstood. My fault. I actually do have my sidearm with me in or out of the house all the time. I was merely asking if anyone knew of a discrete wall safe (or other type) that could keep the gun readily available. I know there's no substitute for having it strapped to you, dude.
    Last edited by uziman2k; September 24th, 2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: mispelled a word
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links