Being at the ready at home

This is a discussion on Being at the ready at home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation. Recently, in my little city here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation. Recently, in my little city here in FL, an estranged husband ran after his wife down the street, shot her...she runs...goes knocking at a neighbor's door...he answers the door to help...the husband shoots his wife-AGAIN- then points his gun at the neighbor...BUT THE NEIGHBOR IS ARMED AND SHOOTS AT THE CRAZY HUSBAND...the loon runs and kills himself in a vacant lot. Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic? I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU? I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house. Thanks for your help. Stay well and Stay Sane.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

I would rather have a gun on me at home than one in a gun safe, no matter where the safe is located.

Here is a likely scenario for a home invasion at my home: my wife and I are sitting on the couch watching t.v. when the front door gets kicked in. If I have a gun in a gunsafe over by the door, it does me absolutely no good because the BG is by the door, and I'm 10 feet from it.

For me, the gun is either on me, or it may very likely do me absolutely no good.

You asked how does one carry at home without looking like a gun-crazed fanatic. Concealed works even at home. Plus it give one good practice at concealment, even if your family knows you are carrying concealed. It becomes a way of life rather than something you do when you leave your house, or when you feel like it.

If you think you'll have time to retrieve a gun from a gunsafe during a home invasion, you are rolling the dice: you may get lucky, or you may not.

Senior Moderator
    Concealed means concealed.

if I have to answer the door, nobody sees the gun that doesn't need to see it. But it's still there, just in case.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation. Recently, in my little city here in FL, an estranged husband ran after his wife down the street, shot her...she runs...goes knocking at a neighbor's door...he answers the door to help...the husband shoots his wife-AGAIN- then points his gun at the neighbor...BUT THE NEIGHBOR IS ARMED AND SHOOTS AT THE CRAZY HUSBAND...the loon runs and kills himself in a vacant lot. Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic? I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU? I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house. Thanks for your help. Stay well and Stay Sane.
    Huh?
    In that case there are two crazy people(including myself) living in my house. The third is my daughter who can't wait until she is old enough to get a carry permit.
    Whew, at least that's one "talk" I won't have to have with her.
    I got my carry permit to carry, all the time, not just outside of the house, and in fact carried daily at home for 3 months while I waited for that permit to make it legal in public.
    I can't understand those who get a permit and carry part-time.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It's your house.....do whatever you want including having your EDC on you. Also...if it's not on you, you should have time to get it before you answer a knock at the door. I answered the door once last year and the two Jehovah's Witness ladies got a full view of my G19 appendix carry. So what?
    If the kids are in the house, then the best place is on you. Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax, but remember Sampson and how he got his haircut? Think about this as well when you're at home with the family.....you fall asleep on the job and others may very well pay for your mistakes.

I have my LCP in my pocket at all times. Much faster than a safe, and in a blackhawk 1 pocket holster nobody can even tell. With all the home invasions all over the place, there's no way I would feel like a gun crazed fanatic. I feel like a prepared, air craving, enjoying life human being minding my own, and that's the way I like it. You don't have to have a cannon on ya, just something to even the score just incase something does happen.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It's your house.....do whatever you want including having your EDC on you. Also...if it's not on you, you should have time to get it before you answer a knock at the door. I answered the door once last year and the two Jehovah's Witness ladies got a full view of my G19 appendix carry. So what?
    If the kids are in the house, then the best place is on you. Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax, but remember Sampson and how he got his haircut? Think about this as well when you're at home with the family.....you fall asleep on the job and others may very well pay for your mistakes.
    Ram Rod, did that help get rid of them??? I'd be willing to give that a try
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My LEO brother says the safest place for his firearm is on his hip.

He carries everywhere. If we're smoking cigars on the deck, he's carrying.

I was reading a Massad Ayoob article about this, and he said that the bad guys can choose when and where they will need a firearm. We don't have that luxury, so we must remain vigilant at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Ram Rod, did that help get rid of them??? I'd be willing to give that a try
    It was a rather short conversation.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Just get a comfortable concealment rig and keep it on. If i'm dressed, it's on me.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If I'm awake, I have my 1911 on, along with 2 spare mags.
    If I'm asleep..then I'm within 1/2 a arms reach from a AR15, my carry 1911, another 1911 with a X300 attached...sometimes my Rem AOW 12 ga.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    When in the bedroom, the gun can be had rather quickly. For me, I am a bit different that the rest here, it is not always on me, but always where I can get to it rather quickly.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member

how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic?
    Who (who might think you are a gun-crazed-fanatic) needs to know?

OR CAN YOU?
    Why not?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Florida is a concealed carry state only, but at home it's either OC in my belt, CC in my belt, or on the table next to me...no problemo.
    If I answer the door at night, I already know who is there...if I do not know who it is, I may not answer, or...I may go around back with the dog and ask who it is.
    Multiple visitors will not get an answer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I guess Im crazy, because I'm still wearing my gun.....s.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links