My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning> - Page 2

My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning>

This is a discussion on My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning> within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bentcursor What about calling 911, telling them you heard a noise in the house and are armed, and then clearing the house? ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning>

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    What about calling 911, telling them you heard a noise in the house and are armed, and then clearing the house? You'd have probably been done and then been able to stow your weapon before they even arrived.
    Good question.

I could have done that and then gone to work as in parallel at the same time, in the immediate.
    That would have been a fine thought and action to take.
    Further I may follow that in the future.

This time around though, phone wasnot at all on my mind.
    My wireless work phone was sitting in the charger directly in front of me. A secondary wireless house line extension was sitting in it's charger on the wall next to the door to exit my office. Plain sight view.
    And my cell was literally on my desk next to my PCs rollerball mouse.
    Phone never entered my mind at all. It should have though!

Again if I were home alone, I'd have walked out and evcd to the rear yard. I have literally done that before in the night and day upon hearing odd noise...while armed.
    I sweep around to either side and front to visually check for exterior security and confirm all is well before rentering at the main or side door and go back to doing what I was doing.

This time though evac/flee was not an acceptable option.
    So I made my choice as I saw best in the immediate, as based on past experiences, learning, knowledge of my area, and overall training.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I remember the first time my daughter fell out of her bed. And I remember the BOOM.
    I was at the computer, which is directly opposite the wall by the head of her bed, my husband was laying on the couch, 90 degrees to the left of me and about 2.5 feet away.
    We both heard it, neither of us are deaf, and cripes it was loud. He bolted out the front door and around to the side of the house, think the neighbor had run into the house with the car. I bolted around the corner into her room(two left turns and about 15 feet total travel). There she was lying on the floor sound asleep. Asleep soundly, not crying, no visible injury, just sleeping. I picked her up, put her back in the bed and checked for any cuts, bruises, scrapes, nothing she was fine. She refused to believe what I told her the next morning, she still swears to this day, she didn't fall out of the bed.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Yeah, it wasn't just a thud...it was BOOOOM! ^^

I've never heard such a sound/noise come from within my own home ever.
    I'm shocked it sounded as loud as it did to me two floors below...

Right now today it's funny to me and laughable.
    In the moment though, not so much.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Glad it was a non-incident.

I think it is interesting that you took the slow and cautious approach to making your way upstairs. The alternative would be to grab whatever was needed quickly and run upstairs.

In the event that someone was attacking your daughter when you heard the first bump, 3 minutes is an painfully long time to reach her. If you had grabbed your stuff and ran up there how long would it have taken? 30 seconds? 45 seconds with getting the flashlight?

Those first decisions we make are often the most important.

I would venture you are that way in life too... you are not impulsive type. We are who we are, even under stress.

Nutz,

I added an edit to my OP so as to resolve apparent confusion by readers:

Edit: Folks have been confused.
    The entire effort as from start to finish with _return_ back down two stories to my office chair was "less than 3 minutes time". As in TOTAL time.
    I did not take 3 minutes to get from start to my daughters room. Just to clarify.
    Correct though, I am not an impulsive type.
    I'll make a decision and act on the fly.

But I very rarely ever act without either thinking it through or thinking as I'm doing or as I experienced in part here through sub-conscious command thought as per prior training.

Training as related to this or a sport or operating an automobile or dealing with clients at work who very often tend to flip-out as a first reaction to an eventuality. :)

- Janq

Wow is all I can say. Glad it only turned out to be a bump by the kiddo. Great read and lesson to learn and practice.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Janq, thanks for the time clarification.

I see that I may have misread the 3 min time in the post. It might be because it took more than that to read it all! Ye pirate adventure looks mighty lengthy indeed!

The faster one can properly react to violence, the better.

What, no flashbang followed by a tactical roll into the bedroom? I bet wifey would have gotten a kick outta that

On a more serious note, your story makes me think to myself: If I'm sitting at my computer and I hear someone break in, what do I do? What if I'm laying in bed in the dark? Those would be good drills for me to practice so that I'm not groping around for stuff in a panic during an actual emergency.

Were you able to get the injury treated quickly? A couple of months ago I gashed my foot on something in the dark at home and I spent several minutes limping around trying to remember where I stashed my med-kit. I learned from that mistake :-)

Agreed it was lengthy. Sorry.
    It took me ten times as long to draft that as it did to actually occur, start to finish.

But I'd wanted to detail all that occurred rather than just ehh heard a bump and grabbed a gat....as akin to how most commonly newspaper accounts go.

Also very much agreed and known as fact; "The faster one can properly react to violence, the better."

- Janq

Very good report Janq! A great in depth analysis of your thought process and tactics.

The only thing I think is worth mentioning is I feel one cardinal rule was recognized but then somewhat cavalierly dismissed. For me, and we drill on this on or SRT constantly. Never turn your back on an area you haven't cleared. In regards to the kids playroom at the top of the stairs by the kitchen, you probably should have cleared that area before leaving the kitchen.

By the time you reached the top of the stairs, the lack of further kids screaming, crying or your wife yelling or the sound of intruders voices in other parts of the house, (which would have identified where a more focused threat was), indicated that maybe you had the time to verify there would be no surprises coming from behind you. How much time would you have lost clearing that room?

The devil is in the details and Mr. Murphy is usually the guy covering my six. Which is to say, if not careful, you're going to get bit from that direction.

I understand your decision to bypass that as you stated your thought process in doing so. But, your rationale of being able to dart into the living room and behind concealment without getting shot in the back if someone had been in there was kind of thin.

Things don't always play out as you want them to. You kind of made an assumption there. You made an assumption that if there was a bad guy lurking in the play room that he would be a poor marksman or a poor tactician and you'd be ok by darting into the living room assuming his bullets wouldn't find their mark. For me... That's usually when Mr. Murphy tends to show up and ruin the party! It would be the worst of all bad things if you had been taken out of the equation before you really even got out of the gate and past the kitchen.

Just my observation Janq. I'm very glad it turned out to be nothing hostile and you had an opportunity to do a run through under real life conditions.

I think you handled things very well and were very analytical in your approach. Just remember Mr. Murphy is rarely analytical. He doesn't play by the rules using logic or by playing the percentages. He's just along for the ride and tends to wreak havoc just for the fun of it at the most inopportune time.

Again, Great report and great experience. I'm very happy it was in fact a false alarm and no one was hurt.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    my wife, who HATES guns.
    I'm glad you included that part in your post. I guess it helps that others have a similar situation as I do.

I can appreciate the concealed issue even when it pertains to the wife.

My wife HATES guns as well and her disposition is similar to what you stated about your wife in your follow up post.

Glad it was a false alarm and everyone is safe.

VIP Member
    I'm glad it turned out good for you and you got a drill out of it.

You did say you were trying to destress with Call of Duty 5X per week?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Great lessons to be learned in that report. I especially liked seeing your thought processes as you worked through it. Glad it was a non problem and find it interesting that once you thought the worst you continued with that in mind to the end. Shows a good ability to concentrate under pressure.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    BZ Good Job

The most important lesson here is one I learned a long time ago. Train like you fight, because you will fight like you train. Training bad habits will show in a fight, training good habits will also show in a fight.

Before I left for Afghanistan I worried about how I would react and fight when the SHTF, sure enough I went right back to my training.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Good details.

Here's what I learned from your report that I can apply: If I still have my pants on at home, and haven't changed into comfy shorts, I have everything I need still on me.

If I've changed into shorts with guns in a SmartCarry and/or a pocket, I have my phone, keys, and guns... but no light handy. I have gun light and large 4-D mag light in the bedroom, but nothing handy at my desk in the basement. I'll have to fix that. With a total power outage, I'd be feeling around for my flashlight attached to my pant's belt. So thanks for that reminder.

It's too bad you felt the need to hide your gun from your wife. I'm not criticizing at all--I've been married long enough to realize one less argument is one less argument, and that's a good thing... especially concerning a topic like this that you won't find agreement with her unless she has an epiphany.

Another point of interest for me is the number of spare mags you have in the bedroom. I've been contemplating adding more spares to the bedroom, but I've gotten complacent. This is a reminder to fix that, which will take me all of about 3 minutes.

So thanks for the details.

I also spend a lot of time at my desk in the basement, which is below the family living quarters, and I concur one can tell much about who is doing what in what room, especially if they are only one floor above you.

Out-of-place noises stand out clearly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links