My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning>

This is a discussion on My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning> within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good post, Janq. I envy your ability to remain calm. That fact alone, proves that your not paranoid. However, I just might be! :)....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My turn, last night at my home just before midnight. <Long Post Warning>

Good post, Janq. I envy your ability to remain calm. That fact alone, proves that your not paranoid. However, I just might be! :).
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Bark'n thank you very much!
    I read your post twice to be sure I took it all in completely.

At the stair as I was scaling it I thought about that play room which is a larger rectangle to the immediate right roughly 15x20 with a steel door at the flat side of the wall leading to an interior walkway toward an exterior exit door. The garage is adjacent to that walkway as accessed by a third also steel door.

My problem was in the immediate two fold in that if that garage door was the breach point then I'm in it deep because they would be either right there as I responded to t he noise without delay. I did not sit and wait to listen for more noises and then begin my journey. I'd reacted immediately. It took me maybe 3 seconds to verbally sign off at XBL, extract sidearm from holster and get to the bottom of the stair while also pocketing my spare magazine.
    BTW I forgot to mention earlier that I always keep a folding knife on me as stowed in my right rear pant/shorts pocket, even if I'm that day wearing a suit. A life long developed habit, like wearing underwear. It's 3.5" inches of blade at the hilt and 8.5" total length as deployed.

So as I scale the stair I'm doing math in my head toward probability.
    I hear no foot steps or voice and movement from that area (very close) which normally I can and do hear when my wife has guests and play group over.
    All the movement I heard was sounding distant, as from the floor above/second floor.
    So when I cracked open the door to get a better listen and peak I expected it would either fly open as by a threat(s), be slammed shut as by a threat(s), or they would do as I would do and wait, watch, then attack as I exited the doorway figuring that I'd be petrified and slow to react. Further I figured if it were me as the threat with numbers (again I'm betting on at least two) I would stack up in the playroom if not as well in the hall adjacent to the basement door which leads from front door straight back to the kitchen by a roughly 20' straight run.

My thought was hook right and wind up fighting a door being used as a weapon against me and go H2H in a relatively tight box amongst toys and kid crap about the outer top edge of the box and an ottoman as well as two furniture chairs at the opposite end.
    Or...
    Go left and then hard left into the hallway to get hemmed up there at the hall or front door or jumped from the side/behind by a threat as hidden in the hall half bath as is on the hard right roughly 3' from the edge of the wall where I would exit.
    Or...
    Quick sprint on tile floor in socked feet (In hind sight review I should have thought to quickly remove the socks!) using the kitchen table and it's perimeter of chairs as well as the kitchen island, which provides to my benefit a choke point, to either make it to behind the counter for intermediate cover and if not touched or shot get myself through the kitchen and into the dining room behind the kitchen which is on the opposite side of a wall.

Doing quick math I bet on C...and on the fact that I can move very quickly and have always been cat agile even in winter on ice.
    I figured I can do this and if I get hit or hands taken to me I then have solid objects to be backed into (wall bank of built in appliances cabinetry of oven and fridge) and fight from rather than have stuff under foot and furniture to be knocked backward over.

A straight up gamble of suck but it was what it was.
    I'd have thought differently if only I'd had prior smarts/sense to have stowed a light source down here along with the sidearm.

So that's why I zigged rather than zagged.
    But I very much appreciate your view and that of others here.

Bottom line it'll help me do a better job as my kids dad & protector, if such an event were to occur again...which I hope and pray is never and that this whole effort/dialog is just one big silly waste of time.
    They depend and look/run to me when they are afraid or unsure. They run to mom when they want stuff like food, sippy cups, and rides to their friends playgroup events.

But if it isn't, then you betcha I will have learned lessons.
    I'm a quick study and don't have to be bitten but once to learn a lesson.

Regards,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For folks in the same boat as I am in relation to the spouse....

I don't know what to say about that other than I have my view and life experiences, and she has hers.
    Her own which are polar opposite as specific to guns and violence and the nature of people and life amongst this jungle we call earth.
    Sincerely I do wish I could have had her deal and thus mindset. Life would be easier to a degree, I think.

But I don't and it's not and fact is it is what it is. And in the jungle the big cats and wolverines and hyenas and wolves and alligators other eyes forward oriented predators don't give two cares about how the prey feels about their lot. To them too bottom line, it is what it is.

A favorite movie quote of mine as from the film 'The Magnificent Seven';

"If God didn't want them sheared he would not have made them sheep." - Eli Wallach
    And that is the bottom line. It is what it is.

I fell in love and eventually married then had kids, with a sheep.
    It's done and the ink is dry. Move on.

My wife has told me a number of times that she doesn't need me to look out for her as carrying a gun on my person as amongst the public nor at home.
    Further she's gone on to say that all she needs to do is call a cop or scream or scratch Deebo and Tookie Williams in the eyes as an anti-rape technique. Some garbage she no doubt picked up in a flyer while in college.
    I told her yeah okay, good luck with all that.

My focus is black and white.
    I'm going to survive, period. So that i can look out for my kids, at least until they are able to look out for themselves. Period.
    This I have told my directly. I will not debate that with her or anyone.
    Further my rights as an American citizen and as a human being under God's law of this jungle were not usurped or abridged because I signed a marriage license document to a states government. Marrying my wife does not obligate me to swap out or ignore common sense, life & living fact, nor the rules of the jungle. I told her this as well straight and direct.

So I carry and I keep arms in my home for protection, and I train.
    She doesn't.

The only thing we do agree on though to that end is that neither of us 'likes' it.
    If I could pay some amount of money to live in some region where there is no crime what so ever of any sort and has a 100 yr. minimum track record of same with the whole of the comic book 'Justice League' to enforce as much...then well hell I'd sell my guns, ammo and range kit and stop by U-Haul tomorrow first thing.

But fact is not even in comic books can the Justice League quell crime and maintain a single year with out crime never mind a decade or century. And they have Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on their squad.
    I told my this as well.

I live in the real and regular world where there are people with eyes on their sides and others with eyes up front.
    Mine are up front and if I work at it hard and am lucky/fortunate so will be my kids as in life & living view, but I pray not experience.

That is my situation and story to that end.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ...Bottom line it'll help me do a better job as my kids dad & protector, if such an event were to occur again...which I hope and pray is never and that this whole effort/dialog is just one big silly waste of time...

Regards,

- Janq
    Janq, These discussions are never a waste of time!

I think you did a Great Job and I certainly got a lot of knowledge from your AAR! Most informative!

That was my only observation to point out! I certainly don't have any faults for you as you did consider it. I was merely pointing out the "Murphy Factor" for what it's worth.

Thanks for supplying a few more details regarding the Play Room area. That explained a lot regarding your train of thought!

Stay safe friend! Great Job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Janq, These discussions are never a waste of time!

I think you did a Great Job and I certainly got a lot of knowledge from your AAR! Most informative!

That was my only observation to point out! I certainly don't have any faults for you as you did consider it. I was merely pointing out the "Murphy Factor" for what it's worth.

Thanks for supplying a few more details regarding the Play Room area. That explained a lot regarding your train of thought!

Stay safe friend! Great Job!
    +1 You did great, and this is a lesson learned for us all. You got to work out the kinks of you home defense plan while under stress, WITHOUT there being any actual danger to your family (at least from BG's). You trained to a plan, you used the plan you trained with, and you found a minor flaw or two the has already been corrected in your plan. As far as this thread goes it has provided the whole point of an AAR, it allowed us to learn from your experience and update our own home defense plans accordingly.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I quickly shoot myself...
    This one caught my attention!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "Next problem was as I looked up at the kitchen door I thought to myself; "That is a fatal funnel.""

Ha!!! You narrate this like your doing a walkthrough COD4, classic. Good eyes and ears though. Not to knock you at all, I play COD4 everynight and Ive had a few episodes like yours where I had to clear the house.

Keep it up. Watch out for my 50cal in the game, im a surgeon with that baby. ;)

Sigma,

Actually I'm not much of a video gamer at all.
    I only have like four games; COD3, COD4, COD5 (sucks!), and RB62.

Majority of my interest with XBL though is in hanging out and chatting with my group of friends (all adults) and just having a good time laughing a lot...as we all de-stress from our work day & family lives.

As to my post style I write as and like I think, and talk IRL.
    I was here writing as first person narration exactly what I was thinking, sensing, and feeling as to my own self; recognition and notation of 'Fatal Funnel' situation inclusive.

When I approached and scaled both stairways I literally had this concept in mind as per past training and direct experience doing same in structure clearing training amongst LEOs (being the single civilian) using Simunitions. That was a week long full day course, using real firearms with real attack and defend scenarios at all manner of X vs. Y numbers stacking.

As well eight years of successful semi-pro tournament participation as a competitor and team coach as well as ref toward paintball speedball, X-Ball and in clearing paintball specific structures.
    Again folks might snicker as paintball skills are not directly applicable to real world firearms...But the tactics and basic skills do crossover. Getting small, staying small, quick bursts of speed for _violence_ (attack!) or for escape. Along with clearing corners, 'slice the pie' and 'button hook' style which tends to go along with a dynamic entry.
    Foot movement is critical too as well as being able to mentally and on the fly look at a field while under stress/fire and draft out a best/highest probability of success movement map.
    All things I'd teach and coach players on in paintball that very much mirror modern doctrine as related to CQB and MOUT as with firearms. In paintball I was a 'forward' known for my explosive speed. I retired from that roughly 5 years ago.

I was though and am being as I tell my kids when I'm not in a immediate mindset to play and joke around; 'seriously serious'.

Unlike in a video game or paintball match, if I get hurt/stabbed/shot I don't get to come back to life and try again.
    There is just one chance to get it right, or get it very wrong.
    Just look at how many times have we seen in the 'Good, Bad, and Ugly' thread news stories of homeowners and civilians on the street getting it wrong resulting in bad and/or ugly.
    What was on my mind was to not be bad and my family wind up as a feature amongst the ugly.

"DON’T STAND IN FRONT OF DOORS! When you have to enter a room do so quickly and get out of the doorway immediately."
    Source - tactical preschool 8 the things worth believing in

Avoiding the "Fatal Funnel"
    YouTube - Avoiding the "Fatal Funnel"

Tactically Clearing Stairs With A Firearm
    YouTube - Tactically Clearing Stairs With A Firearm

The Tactical Advantage: The Video (Gabe Suarez discussing how to handle corner threats)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ergt_...eature=related

Slicing the Pie explanation (Both first person and OPFOR views)
    YouTube - slicing the pie explanation

I'd approached my stairs and cleared my corners exactly as is suggested/instructed in the above videos with exception being unlike Clint using a two hand extended hold I took a one handed low retention hold. So as to free up my off hand for blocking a blow or incoming fire to my chest and to manipulate the door.
    As well as better make myself flat as against the wall opposite the swing of the door allowing me to stay in the shadow.

In the end it all comes down to math, geometry, and thinking things through.
    In a prior post response someone mentioned they were surprised that I didn't just leap up and rush/run to check on the kids directly...and wind up in a potential hornets nest with no plan. my thinking was and still is I'm the cavalry. I'm my own 'police' as at my house....Until and if the secondary cavalry in the form of town and/or state police arrive.

Fools rush in blindly. And often times per incident reports civilian and LEO they get taken out of the fight.
    I study other peoples incidents so as to learn what to do and what not to do....As I would and have done in most every other sport, activity, or personal effort which I've taken seriously.

- Janq aka 'Janq' as on XBL

P.S. - Just a half hour prior I had been reading white paper documents as related to work from a client.
    I got tired of that though and figured ehh lets blow off some steam with XBL.
    Next thing I know roughly :20m later; BOOOM!!!...

I find that paintballers and gamers are too used to exposing themselves (what you call "speed of action") to incoming fire all to quickly because they are used to not being "made dead" in real life for being too aggressive. Clearing a structure is different from doing dynamic entry against an "active shooter".

In the same vein. Many paintballers find that really being in danger changes the way they thought they would act. Games and imminent death are two different things.

TGace I'm not a 'gamer', at all.
    As I'd stated prior.

Do not be distracted by the fact that I was playing a video game when the event occurred. I'd ~20 minutes prior been reading a whitepaper on a sonar product as related to work.
    The video game has nothing to do with anything in relation to the event, my reaction, actions, or it's conclusion.
    I don't take any training view what so ever from a video game.

As to paintball there are many different styles of play there depending on the player position (front, mid, wing, rear/anchor), the teams style of play and level of aggression, the number of combatants on the field (3, 5, 7, or 10 man), as well as to a very large degree what level of play the participant is used to.

There is recreational/occasional which makes up the lions share of paintballers, and represents what most non-players imagine/think of when they hear paintball.
    After that there are 'woods' players and that has it's own style.
    Then you have 'scenario' players whihc also has it's own style.
    With at the top of the heap tournament level players. Within that you have four levels of tourney player;
    * Rookie/Novice - Not so serious/beginner
    * Amateur B - Has participated in three tournaments in one year minimum to advance. Still very much though beginner and often not so serious. Farm team equivalent as related to baseball.
    * Amateur A - The Big Leagues...Train, practice, and have won typically 3 major events (state/regional) to qualify for advancement. You have sponsors covering your expenses in whole or part.
    The air is thin here, and play is unforgiving of errors.
    * Professional - Exact same as Amateur A only you are paid to play and recruited to events by your sponsors and event promoters.

The only reason myself and my team did not go professional, and we were invited to do so, is because we all had regular jobs and families to support...making more money than what paintball could offer.
    As well I was the youngest of the team by 5 yrs. and I'm today 39. Our oldest at that time was 41.

Oh, and in paintball you do 'die'.
    You get hit _once_ and down you go,out of the game and quite possibly eliminate from progressing. With that weeks if not months of time in event specific practices, which for me would be two and 3 days per week.
    The time and expense of travel to the location including lodging. Cost of ammo bought which as split three ways would for me run a bill of $100 to $300 depending. As well as event entry fee which can run as high as $500 for a team.
    Going home empty handed after all that or with anything less than equal...Death, albeit not literal.

Again though the tactics at the level where I'd played, and won major events, did and do cross-apply in being similar if not exact same. Speed and method of application does vary, but same can be said tac officer to patrolman to civilian.

Further the techniques as discussed toward specifically firearm combat technique, including many of the items featured at your blog among the 'Tactical Preschool' series (of which I'm a fan!) are exactly what is practiced and taught in that world...as amongst players & teams who are top level as based on win events and take home swag results.
    Additionally as I noted the other secondary skills are same as well including developing ability to read a situation, assess & plan attack/defense/evasion as under stress, and I personally found it's a great way to practice at combating tunnel vision mental effect as well.

Once more I am being completely serious here.

Me as back in the day circa summer 2003 at Mad Man's Realm formerly in Agawam, MA.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8...qpaintball.jpg

I was playing their home field in a game of one (me) vs. five including two home field refs and three of my wifes cousins.
    They were tasked to come hunt me, but instead I reversed and began to hunt them which they had not anticipated and assumed right off would be nuts to try because they had numbers on me.
    I won and eliminated them down to the last man without entering into a fire fight (typical woods play style) as I'd chosen to play old school hopperball style taking to the field only with the ammo in my hopper. Note I am not wearing pods nor even woods camo (my Paintball Junky brand slider pants are a bright metallic silver).

As with anything else mindset is key, with learning and resulting application or in this case cross-application.
    Also discussed and featured in many of the very good articles at your blog. ;)

- Janq

Wow, I'm impressed at your ability to stay calm. I had a couple of "noisy" false alarms already and I was pretty jacked. I'm concerned how I would react if I actually did have an intruder in the house. Anybody have any suggestions to negate this response?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm glad it was a false alarm, but man you made this sound like a scene from a action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I'm glad it was a false alarm, but man you made this sound like a scene from a action movie.
    I thought it was pretty entertaining. And all because of his kid falling out of bed! It sounds so very mall ninjaesque. He goes into super tactical mode at every little bump in the night. What's gonna happen if he has more kids? Or they start growing up? How about when they become teenagers? Coming home at night?

Reminds me of Gecko45.

I won't be having any more kids, LM.
    Nor do I go into "super ninja tactical mode" at every little bump in the night.
    Once more this was not a 'bump' sound and was in fact quite more.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    I thought it was pretty entertaining. And all because of his kid falling out of bed! It sounds so very mall ninjaesque. He goes into super tactical mode at every little bump in the night. What's gonna happen if he has more kids? Or they start growing up? How about when they become teenagers? Coming home at night?

Reminds me of Gecko45.
    I appreciate detailed analysis of reactions to unexpected and unknown events. I can learn from them.

One of these times it won't be a false alarm. Those who prepare ahead of time increase their chances of having a favorable outcome.

You can make fun of Janq all you want, but I appreciate the opportunity to learn from his experiences.

Thanks, Janq, for giving your description. Due to your OP, I now have one more extra mag upstairs in the bedroom, and I now have a flashlight next to me in the basement.

I am more prepared for several situations now because of your detailed post. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links