Do you disarm when you get home? - Page 11

Do you disarm when you get home?

This is a discussion on Do you disarm when you get home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do remove it when at home, but is close at hand, unless I'm going back out, then I keep it on me. Probably when ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    I do remove it when at home, but is close at hand, unless I'm going back out, then I keep it on me.

Probably when I get a pocket gun (thinking about an LCP) then I might keep it on me more.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I carry in my front pocket with my new mika paocket holster or I keep it near me, its just me and the wife and no kids yet.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Cool

I do disarm when I get home however since there are no children in the house there is always a firearm within seconds of wherever I am. I believe in always locking the doors and the pitbull female and warlock doberman male are a good first defense/alarm system.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It's always within arm's reach. My mantra is that the handgun is just a stopgap until I get to my long gun. On that note, I have a long gun handy on each level of the house.

I have a 2yo daughter, and she gets into everything, but I've very firmly and repeatedly informed her that the guns are off-limits. She doesn't even show the slightest interest anymore. Of course, being 6'4", I can put things high enough to thwart the reach of a 2yo, and still easily accessible using my monkey arms.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Then you train him/her not to
    I do, also I said that a bit wrong. He kicks the gun/holster when I hold him. Generally it is just uncomfortable, but sometimes he hits the mag release.

He doesn't reach up and start playing with the gun in that manner.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    When you get home from work do take off your sidearm or do you wear it until you go to bed?
    Besides changing over from me street/work clothes to my house clothes, I unholster my gun as well as unlock my other handgun and place both of them in a gun carrying briefcase, which is close at hand at all times.

I'm always armed. When I get home I uparm. Usually unlock the safe and stage one of my ARs in a handy location. Pistol is always on my hip. If I'm going to spend alot of time outside, I'll switch out to my railed 1911 with the surefire mounted.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I also have rigged a holster and mag carrier on my tractor when I am out in the field mowing and might not be able to get to my house to arm up if needed.

You can tell from the replies that many - not all but a majority - of the people who have replied to the OP are of the "from the time I get out of bed until the time I get back into it" school of thought and for some people it's probably a good idea.

I, on the other hand don't subscribe to the school of thought that we all must be armed during all waking hours, keep a gun in every room, sleep with a pistol under the pillow and a shotgun next to the bed. There are also a few die hards who'll tell you they even have a gun within arms reach while taking a shower or using their home toilet. Personally, if I didn't feel I could do my business in my own bathroom without a gun on the sink, I'd move or install window bars, bullet proof glass and an alarm!! Still, IMHO it's really a matter of personal preference and need based on our individual situation as to where and when YOU - or anyone - feel the need to carry a weapon. If someone feels the need to be armed at their home and it's legal, then do it.

As for me, there are many places and times where I personally don't carry a gun because it's not practical, not legal or I already feel safe... my home is one of the latter. To use a well worn phrase, my home is my castle. I live in a very safe community where the most serious crime is normally a stolen bicycle and the rare burglary (usually lawn equipment and stuff from unlocked garages/cars). However, my house has a 6' fence around the yard, electronic locks on all exterior doors, exterior lights at night, monitored alarms on the doors and windows and several dogs in the yard. Carrying a weapon around the house is overkill in my opinion. There are also weapons in the house in several locations and I never leave the garage without a pistol in the car with me. Just because my home is in a "safe" neighborhood doesn't mean I don't take precautions!

This is my situation and my decision. What works for me may not work for you and ultimately, we all must decide what works best for us individually. As I said earlier, if you want to carry a gun at home then do it, but do it because YOU feel it's necessary, not because someone else tells you to.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    As for me, there are many places and times where I personally don't carry a gun because it's not practical, not legal or I already feel safe... my home is one of the latter. To use a well worn phrase, my home is my castle. I live in a very safe community where the most serious crime is normally a stolen bicycle and the rare burglary (usually lawn equipment and stuff from unlocked garages/cars). However, my house has a 6' fence around the yard, electronic locks on all exterior doors, exterior lights at night, monitored alarms on the doors and windows and several dogs in the yard. Carrying a weapon around the house is overkill in my opinion. There are also weapons in the house in several locations and I never leave the garage without a pistol in the car with me. Just because my home is in a "safe" neighborhood doesn't mean I don't take precautions!

This is my situation and my decision. What works for me may not work for you and ultimately, we all must decide what works best for us individually. As I said earlier, if you want to carry a gun at home then do it, but do it because YOU feel it's necessary, not because someone else tells you to.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07slay.html - This happened in a "safe community" too...

The men, the authorities say, had already strangled Dr. Petit’s wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, and in short order would also kill the couple’s two daughters, Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11. The elder suspect, Steven J. Hayes, 44, had poured gasoline on the girls and their mother, according to a lawyer and a law enforcement official involved in the case, in hopes of concealing DNA evidence of sexual assault. He had raped Ms. Hawke-Petit, and his partner, Joshua Komisarjevsky, 26, had sexually assaulted Michaela.
    It was about 9:50 a.m. on July 23 when Dr. Petit, 50, burst into his backyard on what is normally a quiet street in a quiet town of 29,000 in central Connecticut. On this stormy summer morning it was the site of one of the most savage crimes in the state in decades.
    The criminal justice system failed to treat Mr. Hayes and Mr. Komisarjevsky as serious offenders despite long histories of recidivism, repeatedly setting them free on parole.
    The authorities say the intruders entered the house through an open door at 3 a.m. Monday as Dr. Petit slept in a chair on the first floor, his wife and daughters in their rooms upstairs. The previous evening, the men had followed Ms. Hawke-Petit and Michaela home from the parking lot of a Super Stop & Shop three miles away.
    Cheshire, with the modest motto, “Bedding Plant Capital of Connecticut,” is, like its neighbor towns in the heart of Connecticut, a community of clapboard homes, big lawns and weekly Rotary Club meetings. People grow old on the same streets where they grew up. Every resident seems to have a dog, and every turn seems to lead to Main Street. There have been three homicides in the past decade. People still go to bed with doors unlocked.
    While it is your decision...I hope your family can live with that decision. Regardless what we FEEL, crime happens everywhere...it knows no boundaries.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think in certain areas you are more likely to be the victim of a break in than a mugging
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I usualy have my weapon holstered whenever I am dressed. If not holstered, it is non a nightstand, side table etc and within a few feet of me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It's freaking awesome to see a thread you started almost a year ago still running :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It's freaking awesome to see a thread you started almost a year ago still running :)
    I guess some subjects are timeless!

BTW, I advise caution when reading any post or reply that uses references to a specific instance/situation/individual opinion to prove their point because that can work against you as well as for you. For example, the anti gun lobby uses much of the same information to back their agenda as 2A supporters. The only difference is how it's presented. We all can find something, somewhere to back up a certain point of view if we look hard enough. As a member of the debate team in school, I often had to take the side of an argument opposite that of my personal views and then find support for that argument. The real trick is to find as much info as possible from as many sources as possible, get all points of view (both pro AND con) then make an educated decision based on all the facts.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I am always carrying, home, out & about, at work. only time I am not is when I am sleeping, then it is next to the bed or where it is illegal.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links