Do you disarm when you get home?

This is a discussion on Do you disarm when you get home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gglass My wife actually insists that I remain armed when I get home. She has been unnerved by a couple of incidents ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you disarm when you get home?

EBC
    Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    My wife actually insists that I remain armed when I get home. She has been unnerved by a couple of incidents in our neighborhood... And, we live in a fairly nice neighborhood. My wife also carries, but she puts her handgun away at home, because it is uncomfortable for her to wear.
    Sounds like it's time to find a new way for her to carry.

Yes, I carry even at home. The more I learn about people the more I dislike being unarmed. I also have 2 young kids and they are the reason I carry.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

2. Remove Ads

Usually the Smith Model 60 by day and at work and the P7 by night and out about town.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Do you disarm when you get home?
    Goes in my carry gun lock box, holster and all, soon after I walk in the door. The gun never leaves the holster. The only time I carry at home is breaking in a new holster, or if I'm going back out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Crime reports show that 100% of home invasions happen at home. I carry from the time I get dressed in the morning, until I undress and go to bed. Having my gun on my hip makes it accessible no matter where I am in the house.
    If it didn't happen at home it wouldn'y be called a home invasion. Just kidding.

I have a two year old that is very curious so as soon as I get home I put whatever I was carrying that day back in the safe. I have two quick access safes in different spots in the house and all my guns stay loaded and ready to go 24/7.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I will be in the minority here and say that I disarm at home. They are close by and not locked up, but I seldom carry at home. I suppose that I trust my kenpo for anything that comes on me that fast in the house, and the dog to let me know something is amiss with enough warning to grab the shotgun if need be.

So I usually take the gun off when I change after work.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I stay armed until I get in the shower. In our house my wife and I both carry, so if someone is in the shower the other is still packing in most occassions......unless we decied to save water and take a shower together!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

Nope. I wear it until I go to bed and then it stays beside the bed.

The LCP is in my pocket until bedtime on weekdays. On the weekends when I'm lounging around in shorts or sweats the 23 is nearby. When working outside the house either the LCP in the pocket or the Heritage .22 on the hip with some shot shells loaded for snakes. Took me a while to actually find the shot shells in stock. Killed a couple of big snakes earlier this summer so I'm on the lookout when in the backyard.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

I work out of my house, and I keep my carry G26 in a drawer there. My home defense Glock 17 is in the bedroom, and my front door 357 is in the kitchen.

OH ya and theres a Remington 870 leaning against the wall next to my desk.

Long story short, why carry a weapon around the house, when there is always one within arms reach..

On another note:
    Home security starts at your property line:

• If you dont have a dog, then use a laser beam or movement sensor to alert you when someone enters your yard.
    • Make sure all exterior doors are metal and have long throw deadbolt locks. Install them with long screws, and replace the door jams screws with long screws. The point is you want your doors to take several kicks or a couple hits from a sledge hammer, before it would even think about breaking in.
    • Backyard should have a privacy fence with NO exterior handles.. BGs are hesitant to go over a fence when they cannot see what is waiting for them.
    • Keep blinds pointing downward so you can see out but BGs cannot see in.

I'm going to agree with most. My pistol usually stays with me or at least in the same room. We also have three dogs who usually give good warning if something is amiss near our three acres. My wife and I live with her folks and they have given us good warning before.

The neighbors' kids were messing around a little too close to our property and on the street. They've never posed a problem before but they're not the trustworthy type either. So I wouldn't put it past them to get drunk and do something stupid. My FIL is a former marine and immediately went into soldier mode once we realized that the dogs were barking at somebody. I was still in dress slacks and shoes with an undershirt on and my pistol. I was glad I had it since we didn't know what was happening at first. My marine FIL decided to go stalk the neighbors. He said he was within two feet of them and they never knew it! I guess you never stop being a marine!

They ended up just goofing around but you never know! Especially when it's 1 in the mornin!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

On another note:
    Home security starts at your property line:

• If you dont have a dog, then use a laser beam or movement sensor to alert you when someone enters your yard.
    • Make sure all exterior doors are metal and have long throw deadbolt locks. Install them with long screws, and replace the door jams screws with long screws. The point is you want your doors to take several kicks or a couple hits from a sledge hammer, before it would even think about breaking in.
    • Backyard should have a privacy fence with NO exterior handles.. BGs are hesitant to go over a fence when they cannot see what is waiting for them.
    • Keep blinds pointing downward so you can see out but BGs cannot see in.

This is great practical advice. I hate that my inlaws have all these BIG windows and NEVER have blinds down even at night. I've always been scared I'm going to look out the window one night and somebody will be watching me.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

VIP Member
    Always armed...always concealed. The wife thinks shoulder rigs are sexy, but everytime I try to wear one to bed, I just get tangled up in it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I usually take it off, but it's always close at hand.

I leave them on plus I unlock the AR and the 870 from the safe!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    If it didn't happen at home it wouldn'y be called a home invasion. Just kidding.

I have a two year old that is very curious so as soon as I get home I put whatever I was carrying that day back in the safe. I have two quick access safes in different spots in the house and all my guns stay loaded and ready to go 24/7.
    Exactly my point
    I have a 12 y/o at home that knows the 4 rules, and how to handle and fire rifles and handguns. She knows there is one on Mom's hip, one on Dad's hip and several others in the 2 safes and she knows they are always loaded. She has no idea what the key codes are for the safe and we change them periodically. She knows not to touch them without permission, and not to tell others about them. She also knows where the safe room is and what to do if there is ever an unwanted visitor. We have practiced different safety drills, just in-case and she passes the test every time.
    I would much rather be too safe than ever be a victim.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links