Home Defense Strategy points to ponder

This is a discussion on Home Defense Strategy points to ponder within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OP is great i've actual practice coming down the stairs and such in the dark HG drawn, maglite at the ready...(my shotgun is to big ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense Strategy points to ponder

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    OP is great i've actual practice coming down the stairs and such in the dark HG drawn, maglite at the ready...(my shotgun is to big for HD with a 28inch barrel)... two questions for you... when i put my shoes on i make more noise than just bare foot is this compromising my position? and should i come down with the maglite on or just at the ready?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey y'all: Ever since I obtained a firearm 2 years or so ago (I now have three "offensive" firearms- a 38, a 380 and a 12g; and two target 22s) I have rethought my theory on home defense and have come up with the following scenario that I follow each night (I should note that I am 68 and only my wife and I live in it---there are no children and no one at any other end or floor of the house).
    1. I lock our bedroom door and place a door stop under the door making it difficult to open if the lock is defeated
    2. I keep a cell phone and my car keys by my bed; the cell phone is for 911/LEO, and the keys are for the alarm on the car. I keep an LED flashlight by my bed with intentions of aiming it at chest height at my bedroom door, if necessary
    3. I consider everything in the other rooms of my house to be "stuff" that is covered by insurance and is not worth my potential death to defend.
    4. If I hear "funny noises" I will take the 10 steps to my closet where the shotgun is and retrieve it. Should that bedroom door be defeated I will be standing at an angle to the door behind a chest of drawers wth my 12g (00) aimed at the door. I will be scared to the point of wetting myself but will be adamant about my defense of my life and that of my wife. The perp will enter from the dark and be staring at a very bright light--he will also be very visible to me as he opens the door. Should, for some reason entry is quicker thru a wndowed door or window in my bedroom, my 38 is behind my headboard with the best money can buy.
    Any comments would be welcome. Always anxious to learn and hear different points of view that may assist me in refining my scenario for home defense.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Face it, we all have visions of how a real home defense situation is likely to happen in our own homes. There are only three types of defense locations: home, transit, and other locations. We expect to sleep peaceably in our homes at night, safe and secure with our families. Hopefully, we have a strategy based on our particular environment and needs. The following are some points not often considered during home defense strategies.

During a recent class of about 10 people, I asked how many people had a pair of shoes next to their bed. Only one out of the ten did. So, in the middle of the night you hear a crash downstairs, you hop out of bed and grab a pistol or long gun and decide to investigate. Imagine if you -

Get to the top of the steps and step on a Lego or dog toy causing you to fall down the steps with a loaded firearm in your hand. This is especially an issue with a long gun, or if you have a light in one hand and a gun in the other.

After making it down the steps, you detect movement and step forward. The crash you heard was a glass that the intruder had knocked off your kitchen counter after jimmying the door. The small shards of the drinking glass cut into the bottom of your bare foot.

Do you sleep without a shirt on? Do you put one on when you get up? Do you prefer a long gun for home defense? Have you ever fired that gun bare chested? Do you think it will effect your response?

More about your strategy, a little about the use of tell tales. Tell tales are very useful in many situations. I break them into three categories: security seals, placement, and lighting. They are a great tool for a layered defense.

Security seals- usually done with sewing thread or scotch tapes depending on the situation. These are most often used when out of your home but can be used when leaving your home for a period of time. Say you are leaving on vacation for a week and do not expect anyone coming to your home. Some gray or tan thread can be used to string across the entrance to your back yard, about waist high so as not to be disturbed by animals. You can also take a few pieces of tape and put them in the lower corners of all exterior doors. Now if you come home and the string across the entrance to the back yard is broken it should make you suspicious, then you walk around to the back door and find that the tape you put in place is ripped. Act accordingly. The tape also works well with your vehicle when leaving it say in an airport parking lot. Doing the hood, trunk, and doors only takes a minute but can give you a huge piece of mind when you return.

Placement- when I go to bed at night I button up by closing all doors, pushing all chairs in, locking all doors and windows. Now if I come downstairs and anything is out of place it draws my attention. You can do this with any items, even say on a desk.

Lighting- my strategy is to work from the darkness whenever possible. In my own home, I am better at negotiating my house in the dark than an intruder is. When I go to bed, the only lights left on are exterior lights. The house is completely dark. When leaving your house, it is your choice to leave a light on or not. Leaving a light on allows you to see silhouettes inside the house.

There is more to home defense strategy than tools and tactics. Consider all things.- George
    Sorry man,
    I have trained for self defense all my life. According to statistics I live in one of the unsafest cities in the USA.

I am just not very paranoid about it.

I keep loaded pistols around the house and would not hesitate to shoot or use a butcher knife from the kitchen, bat, stick or my own hands if an intruder entered the house and threatend me.
    It has not happened to me domestically and probably never will.

I don't mean to be going off on your or any other forum member here. Shooting some one is a last resort. It is ugly. It is war. Be prepared yes, and hope you never have to.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have a question, why are you trying to clear your own house?

I would not advise somebody to attempt to "clear" or go searching through their own home in the middle of the night looking for danger, unless there was an immediate threat to an unarmed family member.
    Agreed. I do not have the training to do a proper house clearing. My plan is to defend the bedrooms while awaiting the police. DIY home clearing sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Hey 1911 Packer: As I stated in previous post, you are absolutely correct about an attempt to "clear the house" unless, of course, other family and children are located in other parts of the house and you fear for their safety and lives. If that is not the case, there is nothing that warrants your life over "stuff". "Stuff" is replaceable and "stuff" is insurable and YOU ARE NOT. You let the LEOs "clear the house" after the fact.

if you have a car alarm, keep the keys in the bedroom. If you hear something outside hit the panic button. it will annoy the neighbors for a few minutes, but it will also put the BG on high alert to. could save you a whole bunch of problems.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    great posts these are definitely some things i know that i've looked over and things to keep in mind. thanks for the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    never thought about that stuff, I will now!

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^6

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Not my approach

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post

I would not advise somebody to attempt to "clear" or go searching through their own home in the middle of the night looking for danger, unless there was an immediate threat to an unarmed family member.

Interesting approach (to each his own).

Hey Sunday: Re your last post---"to each his own". Unless there are other people (children) in other parts of your house, I assume you are willing to go up against someone who may be more armed and more experienced, and may also be high on god knows what so that you can clear your house and in doing so may actually die. I guess "to each his own" is the correct statement. I certainly can hope and pray that you or anyone who feels similarly never have to be put in any situation requiring the "clearing of a house" and I also hope and pray that you are never seriously injured because of your decision. Yes there are bucks to be lost by having someone take my stuff; insurance may reimburse me for some or all of it, but I will stay in my secure bedroom (door locked and further secured with a door stopper)(I do not have anyone else in any other part of my house), call LEO. activate car alarm, and aim my 12g (00) at the door waiting to present the slimeball with a present.--as you say--"to each his own".

2 kids on the opposite side of the house. Holeing up is not an option for me. Good for you if it is. I have to cross by both exterior doors and 2 windows to get across the house. Toys everywhere usually. Unfortunately, my house is so small that if I know someone is trying to get in, you will have another "naked guy with a glock" thread.

But I generally keep kick bars on both exterior doors. Most of our coming and going is through the garage anyway. Plus I hardened the doors with 3 1/2" screws recently to help buy time for us. Seems the idea of kicking in doors is catching on around here.

I pseudo cleared my house a few weeks ago. I came home and realized I forgot to close the garage door. Flashlight in one hand, other hand on pistol. Checked all the rooms and closets with lights off and flashlight on. Gives me a bit of an advantage to control the light. I was confident it was empty and nothing was missing. Don't think I would do it if I came home and the door was kicked in. As long as I knew where everyone was, the cops can clear it.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Darn good points. I was surprise to learn 1 out of 10 with the shoe thing, I always have a pair of shoes or hard sole slippers next to the bed and never get up without them being put on.

Thanks for the reminder about the tape, I use to put a piece of wood (small) in a certain place so I would know if anyone was in my place while I was gone. I'll have to remember the tape though, easier to hide.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    I totally agree that it is best to learn to negotiate your home in darkness. Learn your home and know it intimately.
    Some foot protection - always good to have that handy by the bed.

I keep a pair of Sport sandals quickly accessible. They are fast to pull on and 100% better than "slippers."

My own home is alarmed with the 1st floor hardened & the huge advantage to that is that it buys time.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Shoes next to the bed is good for earthquake, fire, broken glass in the kids bathroom, new puppy, and forced entry.

I did not agree with an idea you espoused on a previous thread....This is an excellent posting! Thanks for sharing.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links