Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter - Page 3

Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter

This is a discussion on Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just to be different: I spend a lot more time practicing and shooting my handguns than my shotgun or rifle. I compete with the handguns ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter

Just to be different:
    I spend a lot more time practicing and shooting my handguns than my shotgun or rifle. I compete with the handguns and am much more used to using them with rapid fire at multiple targets. My shotgun has a relatively longer barrel and isn't that handy. Used for upland bird hunting once or twice a year. My rifle would be fine (Mini-14) but it's definitely more of an effort to take it to a range where I can do any CQB style practice.
    Bottom line, even though I'm relatively "undergunned" with handguns, I feel my comfort and skill with the platform is much higher. Plus I have lasers and night sights on some of my handguns, and I have practiced using them with a light (my preference rather than light mounted on gun). I can't use a shoulder mounted weapon with a light that isn't mounted.

I gave this some extra thought today as my wife had a bit of an incident at work, but I came to the same conclusion. Go with what you know

I suppose it's an excuse to buy more guns
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I also shoot handguns mostly. But I have a rifle and shotgun ready as well.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Alright, handgun rounds are not my ideal round for “stopping” someone. I would much rather use a shotgun with buckshot or even birdshot because I am putting more projects down range on the target. Not forgetting that the wad is more than likely going to make a fairly large hole by itself.

I’m glad to see that some have commented on a shotgun having to be aimed. This is one of the biggest misconceptions with the use of a shotgun in a HD situation.

I favor a shotgun as the “best” HD tool because of the variety of rounds available for this tool. A shotgun is very intimidating when on the muzzle end. Most everyone respects the racking sound of a shotgun and will probably stop what they are doing. If not, take care of business.

I am a carbine fan and if I had to leave a tool with my wife, it would be the shotgun and I would search my home with the carbine. This is strictly personal preference.

One consideration is that if you take a pistol and are confronted by someone with a shotgun, you don’t want to be “outgunned”. Although our “role” in HD is a little different so to speak than that of a SWAT Team, I do tend to use their thought process of weaponry in a stack. Our SWAT Team usually leads with a shotgun for a couple of reasons. One reason being the intimidation factor. And of course, because the shotgun is a multi-purpose tool. Next you will normally find the team with carbines or subguns and lastly pistols. Why not all pistols when doing entries? Simply because the SWAT Team doesn’t want to be outgunned. Handgun rounds are not the best to get the job done. Plain and simple.

So, with all of that said, it is personal choice and your situation will dictate your strategy.

I've heard some good advice here, but how many times do you have to hit someone with a .45? If 8 rounds from a .45 won't handle 3 "intruders" then I suggest some range time.

If 8 rounds from a .45 won't handle 3 "intruders" then I suggest some range time.
    mmmm, we may have to agree to disagree on that one. It might if you get good hits, but hitting moving targets in a stress situation sure isn't easy. In one of the largest studies of its kind (RAND | Monographs | Evaluation of the New York City Police Department Firearm Training and Firearm-Discharge Review Process), police hit rates were 18% if subjects were firing back, and 27% if they weren't. This is all members of NYPD, including special units.

8 rounds for 3 guys just doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of margin for error.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    There was just a show on one of the shooting TV shows that proved that a AR was LESS likely to over penetrate walls. Both the 9mm hollow point and 45 hollow point pistol rounds penetrated two interior walls and an exterior wall and were still a hazard but the AR with 55 grain FMJ would fragment almost completely by the time it cleared the second interior wall due to speed with no exterior wall penetration.

I would have lost money on that bet before I saw the show.

It was Personal Defense TV I think.
    I saw this too.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

[QUOTE=RochPersDef;1398622]
    The presence of children in the household is not a reason to avoid having a firearm in the home for protection. It is an excellent reason to include them in your choice and to educate them - not to hide the firearm from them. One of the worst things you can do is to hide any firearms in your home from your kids.

Now, for the equipment. There are really three choices: handgun, shotgun, and rifle. There are plusses and minuses for each.

We’ll start with the handgun.

You can hide a handgun on your person with a decent quality holster, or in a hidden spot somewhere in your home, ready to use when you need it. [QUOTE=RochPersDef;1398622]

I understand what he means but it does appear it could be better written

I disagree with the author's statement about birdshot not penetrating, here's why:

YouTube - 870 Remington home defense test: Multiple walls Day 2

And this:

YouTube - Remington 870 Wall test: "If a pumpkin was a head"

I keep a .38 with Crimson Trace Grips handy along with my .380. I know I won't win WW III but with a 2 1/2 year old running about, I don't keep things really in reach except where my wife and I can get it. My house is brick exterior with plaster interior. Also, very small. I wouldn't want to wield a shotgun.

That said, any firearm is better than no firearm. My Lefty Neighbor has me on speed dial knowing I could arm the block in a heartbeat.

Jim

One negative to the shotgun is the lack of # of rounds. There have been quite a number of home invasions with 4+ BG's.

Not mentioned are Carbines a nice .45 cal carbine would ruin someone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    One negative to the shotgun is the lack of # of rounds. There have been quite a number of home invasions with 4+ BG's....
    Most of the news articles I've read about home invasions with multiple attackers (here, for instance: LearnAboutGuns.com ) is that after one BG is shot, the rest turn tail & run.

Obviously, one wouldn't want to trust his/her or family's life on anecdotal evidence, but I feel confident that two 12-gauge express 7.5 birdshot followed by five 00/12-pellet buckshot shells will do the job in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    One negative to the shotgun is the lack of # of rounds. There have been quite a number of home invasions with 4+ BG's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Most of the news articles I've read about home invasions with multiple attackers ... is that after one BG is shot, the rest turn tail & run.

The way I think of it, a few lead balls coming through the air from my pistol will have a tougher time stopping 2+ people attacking me across my home than my 12ga shotgun with 5+1 rounds that's backed up by my 9mm pistol.

I'd certainly prefer to initially engage multiple folks with my shotgun, in such a situation, heading back toward the "safe" area while reloading. If further engagement is needed, the pistol's there; else, I'm now reloaded and ready to go with 5+1 in the shotgun again.

Though, the pistol's with me. The shotgun isn't, at least initially. Everything depends on how quickly the invasion occurs, as to whether I get to my shotgun quickly enough. Like as not, it's going to be pistol first, since the BG's aren't going to be asking me my preference. In that sense, my pistol's what is helping me fight back to the long gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I can't imagine being in a situation with 4+ BGs coming at you and wanting anything less than an AR/AK/whatever.

Also in favor of the rifle: if you live with others there may be the possibility of innocents nearby during a confrontation. Maybe it's a better idea to use a more accurate weapon in that case?

In the past my thinking has been that a shotgun is better, but that is based largely on the idea that the probability of multiple heavily armed intruders is low in comparison to the probability of a lone burglar who if anything is probably armed with a revolver or a knife.

Either way, the whole idea scares the crap out of me. When reading some of these stories it really seems like often NO weapon or level of training will be sufficient.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Either way, the whole idea scares the crap out of me. When reading some of these stories it really seems like often NO weapon or level of training will be sufficient.
    I know right? I we can do is prepare for the possible worst and hope for the best.

Though I have the shotgun in the bedroom closet for a fortified defense...but if I have to reluctantly move across the house my pistol and 20rnds of .45acp are coming with me.

I keep a .357 revolver near the bed, and there is a 20-rd box mag of Hornady .223 hollow points nearby for the AR if things get real ugly. I imagine in most scenarios I would probably be fine with just the revolver though.

Weapon Roles

Pistol - for moving inside the home. Leaves a hand free for doors, light switches, a flashlight, the phone, and grabbing the kids.

Shotgun (loaded with buckshot) - last line of static defense once everyone is in the safe room.

Carbine or rifle - area defense outside the home in a temporary breakdown of law and order scenario.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links