How to plan for a home break in at my residence.

This is a discussion on How to plan for a home break in at my residence. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, the layout to my apartment is kind of weird. The front door opens to a living room. To the left of the living room ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to plan for a home break in at my residence.

How to plan for a home break in at my residence.

Alright, the layout to my apartment is kind of weird. The front door opens to a living room. To the left of the living room is open and leads to the kitchen and my roommates room. Rf you go the right, there is a stairway that leads upwards, wraps over the entrance way and to my bedroom.

In short, I can see directly over the entrance just by looking out of my bedroom door.

This is the most probable thing I imagine since I have been thinking of how I would defend myself in my home. Because of the way the house sits, the front door is the only viable entrance way without climbing up a 15 foot or so.

Say in a break in; I have a big metal door and can hear it open early in the morning (3-4am ish). I look over the balcony and see 2 people I don't recognize. They start riffling through things in the living room. My roommate is gone or sleeping, and he is the only other one with a key, so obviously if he isn't one of the two then there is a problem.

I go grab my gun (my gunsafe is in my room). Do I stay upstairs and call 911, and wait? This seems the most logical but I have not thought this out as well as some people on this forum. It's also entirely probably as I lived a block from where I am now, and was robbed once before in the early morning.

My room is small though; should BG turn the corner and there I am on the phone, I am in a tight spot where I can't retreat.

Funny thing is, my roommate has a civilian AK47 (single shot, whatever the civilian version is called) and I don't think in the break-in he would hesitate to lock and load and confront them, although I think just the sound of an AK chambering a round would make the robbers either confront very quickly or turn tail and run.

Any tips or thoughts?
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

2. Remove Ads

What's behind the wall you're probably going to be shooting at?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Castle Doctrine

"...go grab my gun (my gunsafe is in my room). Do I stay upstairs and call 911, and wait? This seems the most logical..."

This is correct.
    Self defense: What Castle Doctrine means to you (update)

Do not move bodies, destroy evidence etc. Call 911 Immediately!
    Put your gun down as soon as Officers arrive if at all possible ( you look like a BG to them, they don't know you).
    Assert YOUR 5th ammendment right until you talk to YOUR attorney. You are now the subject of a homicide investigation.

VIP Member
    I would think the wise response would be to phone 911 with one hand and keep the gun on your bedroom door with the other. Use whatever you have for cover, like your bed. If they try to enter the bedroom --and you are sure it isn't a friend or your roommate, (and if you live in a state with Castle doctrine) you are good to go. Even in a state without the castle doctrine you are in fear of your life, though if the burglars are unarmed you might get an argument on that point.

One thing I think I've learned here is that there isn't much to be gained by running out to confront unless your position isn't safe. Hopefully, if you tell 911 there are folks in the apartment and that you are armed, they will get there pronto. Be sure to put your gun down before greeting the nice LEOs.

VIP Member
    I would toss a flash bang and see if they jumped.

VA has no castle doctrine, but no need to retreat either. The wall that is in line with my living room and my bedroom door would be a common wall with my neighbors or a window to the main street; however given the angle IF I did shoot into the living room the most probably place for a person would put the shot going into the floor and hitting the concrete below it. If it ricocheted and went upwards and through the drywall it, given the layout of my neighbors home is mirrored of mine, would go upwards and hit the roof. Unless there was a level or upward shot there would be nothing by the wall. From my bedroom door down the stairway would put the bullet in line to hit a cinder block wall.

If my roommate shot coming out of his room, the bullet would probably go through my whole complex (3 neighbor's condos through the common wall, one after another) through their living rooms and kitchens before hitting the concrete and brick wall on the other side. 7.62 vs Drywall is a losing battle.

Rule #4: Identify your target and know whats behind it ;)
    Password:
    Unpacking...

Drop a ball or two of non-dye pepper spray. That would encourage them to leave quickly.

BTW, does that dissipate cleanly or leave a lingering "aroma"?

Dial 911 and set the phone down, ready my firearms and.....

in a very calm and clear voice say......"Ya'll just broke into the wrong house." If that doesn't clear the house.....
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Dial 911 and set the phone down, ready my firearms and.....

in a very calm and clear voice say......"Ya'll just broke into the wrong house." If that doesn't clear the house.....
    and 911 just recorded you saying that.

If you can see the staircase from your room you have an advantage as far as I can see. I would call 911 and stay just inside my room where I can see the staircase to see if they are coming up while on the phone.

Shout to them that you are on the phone with the police and to leave immediately again while holding the phone with 911 on the other end recording your warning.

While they are climbing the stairs you have some advantage as they have nowhere to hide or duck into. If they retreat, good for you wait until police to arrive before exiting your room. If they keep coming I would think you would feel your life is in danger and can't retreat any farther so you would be justified in the use of deadly force.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you can see the staircase from your room you have an advantage as far as I can see. I would call 911 and stay just inside my room where I can see the staircase to see if they are coming up while on the phone.

Shout to them that you are on the phone with the police and to leave immediately again while holding the phone with 911 on the other end recording your warning.

While they are climbing the stairs you have some advantage as they have nowhere to hide or duck into. If they retreat, good for you wait until police to arrive before exiting your room. If they keep coming I would think you would feel your life is in danger and can't retreat any farther so you would be justified in the use of deadly force.
    The stairs are covered by a wall until they turn over the entrance way. I would still have the advantage though, especially with the lights off. I left night lights on the stairs to keep from being stupid and falling down on them, so I can see out there. The wall is also only 2X4's and drywall so my 9mm would go through it.

My bathroom also sits in line with the bedroom door (I can see out the door from the back of the bathroom). I could also call the police from in there, turn the lights off and look through the bathroom through the bedroom door and see the edge of the stairs going over the entrance way.

I already bugged my roommate tonight. If there is a break in he is going to lock his door, call the cops, lock and load the AK and wait until I give him the clear or the cops do. It would be a clear shot should someone knock down the door to his room and there is nothing behind it but a window and a wide street.

Would shouting be a good option? To alert them I am there and let them know where I am, or wait until they come up? If there is more than one coming up the stairs, I think I would be in fear for my life, and I'm not just saying that so I think I can be justified. I seriously have nowhere to go unless I jump 2 stories out a window. If 911 was recording I can see the use in presenting yourself for the courtroom.

Fack, this is why a good ol shotgun is my next investment. It would make the penetration issue almost non-existent and would make aiming at a stressful time easier when there is a large spread.
    Password:
    Unpacking...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey y'all: There are two current threads and posts on this forum. One is Home Defense Strategy and the other is Scary Stuff. Lot of information, particularly the Home Defense Strategy thread.

Senior Moderator
    It sounds to me like your setup is well suited to the philosophy of "let them come to you, and then make them wish they hadn't".

IMHO, since your roommate can fend for himself, your smartest course of action is to use the natural funnel of the stairs. Take a position where you have some cover and can cover the stairs, call 911, and in a loud voice (for the recording) announce "I am armed and I will protect myself. Get out of my house NOW".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I am a big fan of pump action shotguns. I let it speak for me... something about the CLICK! CLICK! of a 12 gauge initiates the pidder padder of feet back down the stairs its like magic.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    When you get your shotgun, pattern it at the distances you are likely to use it. You may find the spread to be four or five inches diameter max. That said, shotguns are inexpensive and effective in home defense.
    I recommend the, call 911 and set up with cover to wait them out, approach. If they come upstairs, you get a good ID, and feel threatened, you will be able to defend yourself without much risk of prosecution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links