How many have home security systems?

This is a discussion on How many have home security systems? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; agreed, I forgot to add that I'm looking at camera system, probably 3 exterior 2 interior that will record, one of which will be connected ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many have home security systems?

VIP Member
    agreed,
    I forgot to add that I'm looking at camera system, probably 3 exterior 2 interior that will record, one of which will be connected to my main computer with a webcam and will send message to my cell phone if motion is detected and putting up motion activated lights in driveway and all four corners of house
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

We have a monitored alarm system as well and feel it is worth it.
    Many of you have brought up good points (both pro and con), so I won't mention those again. But one thing I haven't read yet is one of the main reasons I like having an alarm:
    when I come home I know that the chances are low of someone who doesn't belong in my house actually being there waiting inside for me (or my husband). In other words, if the alarm is sounding when I get home.....something is wrong and I wouldn't go in. It's a nice piece of mind coming home and knowing that my empty house is actually "empty" (Other than the dogs of course!).
    "They are ready for someone....but they're not ready for us!" Jonas Blane

"When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back." Herb Brooks

Home security, like any other, requires a layered approach.

For us, a quality, monitored home security system is an integral part of that. Other parts are the family dog, quality locks, outdoor lighting, properly installed and maintained landscaping, defensive firearms, training and practice, etc.....

As far as pets, with a properly designed system, pets are not an issue.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I have one. I was walking around Sedona Arizona on vacation this summer when my cell phone rang. It was the monitoring company saying my alarm was going off. I quickly called the police back home and informed them I was on vacation. They responded quicker that way. The officer called me back and said that indeed someone had broken the glass out of my back door. The alarm scared them away. How much was that alarm worth at that instance. Some things I have learned:
    1. ADT is a joke. They don't monitor anything. Had them for years and they didn't call.
    2. The burglar could have robbed me still but he would have suffered hearing loss as the alarm is very loud.
    3. I got the call so I was able to let police know that this was not a false alarm and they had better hurry.
    4. It was pouring the rain so I was able to call friends to board up the door so it wouldn't rain in my home.
    5. For no more than they cost, they are worth it. Are they going to fix everything? No way. But you can't leave a dog home when you are out of town for a week.

I had left a holster on the dining room table when I put my carry gun in the safe before I left. The officer wanted to know if there was a gun in that holster. OOPS!!

We have a home security system I designed, and had installed by a reputable local security company who has their own central station. It has a cell phone backup, as well. We have a black lab and two cats. We shut off the two rooms with ceiling mounted pir's when we leave. The remaining pir is masked off so it will pickup a person but not an animal. We replaced the system we had, and updated it. In the future I plan on adding a video system. We live in the country on nine acres, we depend on the local sheriff for response. I can usually beat them, even if I am in the next county, where I retired from.
    Last edited by KSDeputy; January 7th, 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Nut View Post
    I have one. I was walking around Sedona Arizona on vacation this summer when my cell phone rang. It was the monitoring company saying my alarm was going off. I quickly called the police back home and informed them I was on vacation. They responded quicker that way.
    good example of the value of a system, glad it worked for you, however everyone should know that just because the homeowner is contacted and tells police or alarm company they are not home does not mean LEOs will get there any quicker, we respond to all alarms the same way...normal speed, no lights and/or sirens

1. ADT is a joke. They don't monitor anything. Had them for years and they didn't call.
    I could add others to the list that have made major screwups involving alarms to be answered or communication with property owners, panic alarm codes, etc, ADT isn't alone in this

3. I got the call so I was able to let police know that this was not a false alarm and they had better hurry.
    not discounting your situation or diminishing how important your house is to you....but officers generally don't go flying to alarm calls like this even if the homeowner calls and says its a false alarm.....the majority of our alarms are false and on about half of them nobody is at the house
    just saying so everyone knows these situations won't make the cops get there any faster, and I'm not saying alarms aren't worth it, just that everyone should realize they aren't the catch-all or make your house get treated special or anything
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

that just because the homeowner is contacted and tells police or alarm company they are not home does not mean LEOs will get there any quicker, we respond to all alarms the same way...normal speed, no lights and/or sirens
    Perhaps in your agency. I have witnessed response to my father's house and how long it took. Also, I know for a fact the demeanor of the officer I called changed when I told him I was on vacation. Plus, I know when I got the call from the responding officer at my house. Whether it was because it was the middle of the night or because of my call, I don't know. But their response was different. When they found out there had actually been a crime committed, they brought the whole agency. My friend told me there must have been 20 officers there. And I live in a county with a population of like 15000.

I have experience with 3 alarm companies and 2 of them were very good. My experience with ADT was horrible. There isn't enough room to tell all the problems I had with them. It goes way beyond just not calling when the alarm was going off. In fact, I still think they owe me $250. The two that were very good: Monitronics and Central Monitoring.

My alarm is a 1/2 Blacklab / 1/2 German Shepard......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Perhaps in your agency. I have witnessed response to my father's house and how long it took. Also, I know for a fact the demeanor of the officer I called changed when I told him I was on vacation. Plus, I know when I got the call from the responding officer at my house. Whether it was because it was the middle of the night or because of my call, I don't know. But their response was different. When they found out there had actually been a crime committed, they brought the whole agency. My friend told me there must have been 20 officers there. And I live in a county with a population of like 15000.
    I didn't say no agencies would go code 3 or step up their response, I said that just because a person says they're not home doesn't mean an agency WILL respond code 3 or step up the response
    some place might, I know a lot of others don't,

this is based upon several things including the size of the city (not slamming smaller towns, believe me I grew up in a town of 3500) as one factor...less traffic, less hazards, etc than a larger city; also being a factor is the amount of false alarms that happen, the liability factor comes into play with all the false alarms making it a policy to not step up response, its like playing the odds, and then the time of day (at night as you said, there is less traffic, less hazards/danger of accidents with the patrol cars), I know when it gets late in my shift I can get places a lot faster due to the drastic reduction in traffic, I can fly to calls a lot differently than at 6:00pm

remember, I made my comments so that people won't think that since they put in their new fancy monitored alarm system they will have superman flying in to save the day within 30 seconds

its a lot like calling 911....we'll get there as fast as we can but there are a lot of factors in determining the response time and alarm systems shouldn't be viewed as a crutch or save all, its only a component
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

I didnt read through the whole thread, but heres my thoughts on them. If I am redundant in repeating what others have said, in some of my points, sorry.

A few years ago I picked up a system when I worked for SecurityLink who was later bought out by ADT and Dennis Kozlowski's Tyco. I do not have it monitored, mainly because I do not need another monthly expense, but mostly because I feel that Alarm systems should never be relied upon to provide security against crime. Fire, yes, but never crime.

I use it to wake me up and give me extra time to provide my own security with my wife on the phone and me with my shotgun, or vice versa, and to give any criminal pause to consider if he should vacate and save his own life or not.

Anyway, even if it was monitored, my thinking would not change in the least. Case in point, I went into work a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night because our servers went down. My alarm code did not work after I opened the door and went in. The Police did nto show up for 35 minutes. Plenty of time for me to take lots of stuff and leave, or, for me to be a victem if I were inside and someone broke in.

I've got one... we had it installed after the house was built. It's through our local phone company... it's a small phone company but they provide better service than the larger companies.

It's monitored and it's gone off a couple of times accidentally... (childs friend spending the night leaves in the morning and doesn't know the alarm's set...)... company calls within a minute to see if it's real or not... other time we were too slow in turning it off when we came inside... (I use the key fob... my wife doesn't)... and it went off. Again, the company called within a minute to see if we were ok...

The 3rd time it went off they were testing the system when it was installed.

We use the alarm... its turned on when we're not home with the motion sensors enabled... we turn it on when we're home without the motion sensors...

We lock our doors... and keep the garage door down when it's not being used...

I have an ADT system and 18 cameras that cover the outside of my home that record 24/7 and I can view it when I'm on the road with my cell phone.. Can never be to safe..Over kill some may say but I'm on the raod 6-7 months a year and want t keep an eye on the family and home..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a security system and even if the notification to the police is delayed, the alarm might scare off a burglar all by itself. I get notified and the police or fire department get notified. Maybe later than if I called them, but they still get notified, and if I'm unable to call them, that is a positive.

I also have a dog (that hates the alarm siren) who barks at strangers. But he can't call the police or fire departments.

Most alarm systems have motion detectors that can be tuned so they only alarm at movement more than a certain distance off the floor.

They are a good part of home security that a dog can't substitute for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I have an ADT system and 18 cameras that cover the outside of my home that record 24/7 and I can view it when I'm on the road with my cell phone.. Can never be to safe..Over kill some may say but I'm on the raod 6-7 months a year and want t keep an eye on the family and home..
    not overkill in my mind.....and worth every penny to you for your peace of mind
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

CPI security has a speaker built in....they call you when the alarm trips. It is pretty awesome as they can hear you in a normal tone of voice even upstairs and can hear you whisper on the first floor. I highly recommend them. I had Brinks for a long time, CPI is better!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links