How many have home security systems?

This is a discussion on How many have home security systems? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How many have home security systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop a BG either, he's just going to let me know when I need to.
    Scare off the intruder with that loud obnoxious siren, and if monitored, will call police.

2. Remove Ads

It really depends on the monitoring company on what the worth is. I have monitoring companies that were awful, and others that were on the ball.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Never used to, but our previous house was broken into in 2006, and my wife felt very insecure. So, I got a Brinks monitored alarm system and a security door. A year later, we moved to a new house, and we put a system here. Sometimes, it may be more for the feeling of security. But, if the alarm goes off, Brinks calls here, and if they don't get the password, the police are sent. Funny thing though, my wife doesn't want to use it at night while we sleep, which to me seems like the most important time. But, at least I'm a light sleeper, and the system chirps when a door or window opens. My XD 45 is ready to go on my night table.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Alarm systems are great and harder to get by than a dog. I can poison your dog and come back tomorrow. My alarm is not for protection of my valubles, I use it for the alerting of me of and intruder and the knowing when i come home at the end of the day no one is waiting for me in my own house.

I have ADT and the two times is was accidentally set off ADT called me right away. Having an alert dog is another good layer to have as well.

I have ADT in our home we built last year. Our local insurance company( Farm Bureau) has a huge discount on home insurance if you install one. The other big reason was that the local PD, FD and SD spent their Homeland Security money upgrading their computer systems , both at 911 center and in the cars. Short story is that we are very well patrolled and a car is never more than 5 minutes away.

My son came home from college, we had given him key but forgot to say anything about the alarm system. He opened the door and then went back to his car to get something he had forgotten. He didn't make it back to door. As he put it "I know what the wrong end of a Glock looks like!)

Wife burnt the toast at breakfast and the FD rolled before I could get to the phone and call off alarm. Fire truck in driveway cost Farm Bureau $300 but they weren't too upset. When the alarm goes off, a local panic button is activated and the SD car is alerted on the computer and the map pops up. The car rolls until ADT calls them back and tells them to stand down.

This is a rural area but very, very progressive. You can't over-ride alarm from outside, all lines,telephone and electric, are buried and come up under the house.

If you can find an area with the local tie-in, an alarm system can be very effective.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I am a believer in a good security system. Motion detectors can be bypassed if you have a dog or when you set it at night while asleep. It may take the cops several minutes or more to show up but I think most BG would take off when a loud alarm starts sounding inside and outside the house. I've done some work with dogs and there are very few that can't be charmed by a smart BG, even a pair of snarling dobermans.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    all lines,telephone and electric, are buried and come up under the house.
    There's still an easily accessible box for each on the side of the house. FYI.

Az

my home security system don't use a land line. Mine runs of CDMA cell service so if someone cuts the line on my house they are in for a big surprise...
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

can't be beat. Good dog and a 12 gauge
    Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    The problem with a cellular/wireless/GSM circuit is that in the event of area wide power outage the cell tower battery backup systems start running down after 24 hours. A wired line will go to a Central Office and usually has far longer running backup systems.
    In my AO, the bad guys cut your tel line much more frequently than waiting for the power to die so that the cell backup is defeated during a burglary. Any jackass that's watched more than an hour of tv during the last ten years knows to go for the demark box first before attempting a break in. A cell primary or backup signal is indispensable IMO. The armed humans and the bullmastiffs comprise the SRT and respond to the alert.

If anyone is in the metro Atlanta, I can't recommend Ackerman Security enough as a monitoring service. Very professional and they own and staff the monitoring center. They don't farm it out to some one else, so if something goes wrong, their isn't two involved parties pointing their fingers at the other.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links