How many have home security systems?

This is a discussion on How many have home security systems? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking about the first step towards home security lately, and think that it makes alot of sense to have a home security ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many have home security systems?

I have been thinking about the first step towards home security lately, and think that it makes alot of sense to have a home security system, like brinks, broadview.....
    How many of you have them? Are they worth it? Are their issues when you have pets?

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    Are their issues when you have pets?
    Yes....with the right pet, you won't need an expensive security system. (I always tell the truth the best I can)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    My eight legged alarm system has kept us and the house safe for the past 15 years. When they go I'll get me a 4 legged system - a Rhodesian Ridgeback:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have an ADT system. While we had it monitored we never had a problem. I got rid of the land line phone and still use the system unmonitored.
    If you have pets, like I do you might choose a different option than a motion detector. I chose a glass-break sensor instead, thinking there was a good chance a 150 pound dog roaming the house could trigger a false alarm.
    After 5 years of having the system(4 years monitored) I am happy with it. Happier yet that it has never been activated.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My dog will scare off more intruders than any home security system. But they do offer another layer to your security.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Mic
    Pets an set off the motion detectors so be carefull
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

We have a mini poodle, he is a very good alarm system. He couldn't really stop a BG, but his bark may make them think twice. but I meant to use also when we aren't home as the dog is crate-trained?

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    We have a mini poodle, he is a very good alarm system. He couldn't really stop a BG, but his bark may make them think twice. but I meant to use also when we aren't home as the dog is crate-trained?
    What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop a BG either, he's just going to let me know when I need to.

Administrator
    The only bad thing I have to say about the security systems is that as an LEO, I've dealt with a lot of 'em. Some are better than others, but more often than not, the response time created by the monitoring "service" leaves a lot to be desired.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop a BG either, he's just going to let me know when I need to.
    Well, it would clue in LEOs....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The only bad thing I have to say about the security systems is that as an LEO, I've dealt with a lot of 'em. Some are better than others, but more often than not, the response time created by the monitoring "service" leaves a lot to be desired.
    That was another thing I was wondering, I thought there would be a delay!

VIP Member
    I know someone who has a rather elaborate security system. There are perimeter detectors, glass break detectors, motion detectors. All well and good except you constantly have to be aware of how the thing is set before you open a window, open a door, etc. I think the thing is a nuisance that doesn't offer the level of protection that 2 good dogs would.

That said, I think my cable company is going into the security alarm business.
    Anyone get their alarm system from the Cable company?
    I hear they'll bundle it with internet, phone, and TV.

i don't have one, they are a wast of money. got one at the office and several inside rooms allso have their own system. if we set one off it takes over 5 minutes before the company calls to see what is going on. and then you got the responce time of the police. it takes the police 20 to 40 minutes before they will come out, if they come at all. one of my neighbors has one will a loud alarm. it goes off all the time when they are not home and the police never show up. his dog must sets it off. a bad guy can take a lots of stuff from your house in the time it takes the police to show or the time it takes the company to call to see what is going on.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Can't speak for burglary, but the recent fire in our storeroom worked like this.........the smoke alarm immediately sent a signal to the monitoring station:

Their protocol is to contact the FD first and they did, within 20 seconds of receiving the alarm.

1 min and 24 seconds later the alarm service phoned me.

Pretty quick response I thought, though we still had a BIG loss.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a system sorta like this one and find it very effective.

Clover 15in. TFT LCD All-In-One Internet-Accessible DVR System and 4 Cameras, Model# TBUN15070 | Security Cameras + Observation Equipment | Northern Tool + Equipment

You can view with the software on the internet when you are away.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My mother-in-law has her alarm system tied straight to the PD, their response time is lousy for being in the city.

I have the best alarm system in the world. A old lady next door who is nosy as all get out, nothing escapes her eye. Once she is gone, I might look towards an alarm system other then my dogs.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links