Old question, new thread

This is a discussion on Old question, new thread within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As others have said, I give no warnings....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old question, new thread

VIP Member
    As others have said, I give no warnings.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

No attitude implied Timmy,I was just asking if you carry in the woods with a round chambered,why would you not be ready at home when the outcome is far more serious.

Thats all buddy!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    No attitude implied Timmy,I was just asking if you carry in the woods with a round chambered,why would you not be ready at home when the outcome is far more serious.

Thats all buddy!
    Ok I believe you. If it happens again though I'll see that you get put on double secret probation. : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Okay, I'll admit to sarcasm, but the answer as to if it would have any effect is in my response. The BG is the only one that will know for sure.

It was sarcasm meant in a helpful way. I just don't use many of the emoticons. If someone is in your house why give away where you're at to "maybe" scare them? There are some bad bad people out there and my luck would be to encounter the one that takes the sound as a challenge.

Besides, wouldn't the sound of a 12 gage discharging inside a house be the best deterrent?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    zero warning.... and no because I want the MAXIMUM ammo in my gun at all times leaving the chamber empty means that i have one less in the Mag/tube when rack one it for effect.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I keep my home defense shotgun unchambered for a safety reason, "cruiser ready".

If the shotgun was leaning in the corner of the closet and it fell over, with a round in the chamber, there's a good likelihood of having an AD/ND. That would be detrimental to me in more ways than I care to discuss.

There's a reason the shotguns in L.E. vehicles are unchambered, and it's not so that the sound of racking the pump can scare anyone. If I determine that I may need my shotgun I will load it. If I don't need the shotgun, it stays unchambered. FWIW: I'm quick to chamber the Guage.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; January 16th, 2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Yes, keep it cruiser ready. It is very easy make the gun ready very quietly, nearly silent, with a little practice. 870, the Mossbergs... it doesn't matter. It is easier with a 2 3/4" shell though.

Anyway, the whole racking it to scare off the bad guy is a gun shop bravado. Sure, its happened, but I'm also sure BG's have been scared off when the sleeping homeowner rolls over and farts in bed too.
    If the bad guy hears me and my shotgun and scurries off, good for him. I'm not going to play ninja and try to kill anybody, including myself, but I will resort to force without warning inside my own four walls.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    We have had this before but it's been a while so I'll ask again. Is it better to rack the slide on your pump gun and warn a BG, hoping he will flee? Or is it better to maintain the tactical advantage and keep quiet?
    I'll maintain my advantage and keep quiet. Anyone who invades my home has earned whatever they receive.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Cruiser ready - my handguns are ready and closer with one in the pipe, if I have enough time to get to the shotty, then I probably have enough time to quietly rack it, maybe even slide one from the side saddle into the magazine. No one is getting a warning if they have come into my house with out my permision - My family is to valuable for me to take any chances.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Never give up a tactical advantage unless you receive an equal or greater tactical advantage in return.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok I believe you. If it happens again though I'll see that you get put on double secret probation. : )
    Besides that I use a coachgun,I aint rackin' nuttin.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Thanks to our genius law makers in the great state of NC, I have to shoot my bad guys as they are trying to gain entry to my house, once they are in I cannot shoot unless I meet a page of bullcrap stipulations(emminent fear of death,or sexual abuse)So I plan on being real quiet and shooting my bad guys on their way in so I dont scare them off.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I carry chambered all the time. BUT, In high school, I kept a pump 22 loaded (unchambered) on a gun rack in my room and a 22 semi auto in a shoulder holster hung at the head of my bed (also unchambered). One night, a couple of guys I knew were drunk in my front yard vandalizing my buddy's car. He opened the window and yelled at them and they came staggering to the window (the front porch of the house). I closed the window and they took a baseball bat and broke the window and started trying to come in. I grabbed my pump 22 and racked the slide. They started backing out as I started pumping 22 rounds from inside my bedroom. They took off running, fell off the porch, and kept getting it through the yard and down the street as I fired a few more shots into the yard to make sure they didn't come back. Imagine my Dad's surprise as he came running into my room to find me standing there in my drawers pumping 22 rounds through the broken window. Since I knew the guys and they were obviously drunk beyond belief, I wasn't going to try to hit them unless they continued to enter. Everyone's parents talked and the guys parents paid to fix my window and paid to have my friend's car painted. No one called the cops since we knew who they were. In that rare instance, racking the slide saved me from having to shoot some guys I knew that were too drunk to know what was going on. But of course, I wasn't caught off guard either. I was standing there (in my drawers) ready for the crap to start...that must have been quite a sight. It was all fine in the end. Those guys never messed with us after that either. Imagine that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Im not racking ANYTHING. If YOU broke in then you don't need a warning. My dad always had a saying "if I find you in here 2nite they'll find you in the morning". those are words i will live by!!
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Distinguished Member
    Some fish food for thought----If you raised kids. some might not always come home on time, or come home and try to leave again hoping you don't know they were sneaking out again. If one of my kids was trying to sneak in or out, and they heard a shot-gun racking, the fear of getting shot may overcome the fear of getting grounded or a butt beating, so they may YELL---IT'S ME DAD, DON'T SHOOT, which would be a good thing for them to do.

When it comes to guns the 4 safety rules are black and white, but other gun situations may be a little gray.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links